TotW: Live Search to Google

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Welcome to my first 'Tweak of the Week' in a while, and a concerted attempt to resurrect MoDaCo 'Daily' content, previously named 'Features'. Today I have a tweak that is for Windows Mobile 6 Standard / Professional (Smartphone / Pocket PC) devices.

In Windows Mobile 6, there are 2 places where web search functionality is integrated into the UI. The first is the new 'Welcome Page' in Pocket IE, and the second is the Search Box in 'Windows Live', be that on the home / today screen, or in the Windows Live application itself. Pretty cool, but for me of limited use as the search boxes launch 'Windows Live Search' (obviously), and i'm a Google Searcher :P

Enter the CAB file attached to this post. By installing this CAB, both of these searches will instead launch a Google mobile optimised search. It works great, and is very useful indeed - Windows Mobile 6 users, give it a try! :rolleyes:

PIE search box, before and after screenshots are attached below.

Until next time...

P

MoDaCo_Google_Search.cab

post-1-1179733755_thumb.png post-1-1179733765_thumb.png post-1-1179733760_thumb.png

Guest smeg36

Any idea if this would work with a WM5 device running the Windows Live that's been ripped from WM6? That's my only option to have a search bar on the home screen that will search Google until I either get a WM6 device, or Motorola/Sprint upgrade the Q to WM6. This is a sweet offering though, thanks Paul!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spider

Hi Paul.

Nice app, however I cant get mine to work on my S710. It seems to install fine (on my mem card) but when I try using the IE the startpage is still the MS one and not G.. :P

Even after a restart of the phone it wont change...

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks on advance :rolleyes:

ohh and a off topic thing: what does the WARN text, below my picture and text in the left side area stands for...have wondered me ever since I saw it..

Guest Paul (MVP)

This doesn't change the start page, it changes where the search box takes you to.

WARN is your warning level, if it's at 0% you're good :rolleyes:

P

Guest spider

aha...got it...its working now...well it always did but now I know how it works thanx :rolleyes:

so what is a warning level (I got an idea, but I am not sure)...and why don't I see it at other members?

Guest kevinsephiroth

warnings are given to bad members by admins/moderators. Be cool and your warn level should stay at 0% :rolleyes:

You can't see others' warn levels.

• 1 month later...
Guest sad_story

is there an app or a tweak of your cab that would port the information entered in the windows live homescreen to the Live Search Application http://mobile.search.live.com/client/download.aspx? OK, OK I know MS is the great evil but this app does rawk imho.

Without your plugin, I know it ports the info to the web page live search (which I agree is useless and difficult), not the application posted above (which I like cause it has great features like adding search results to contacts (one button), maps, traffic categories etc...).

• 2 months later...
Guest thecolorifix
Welcome to my first 'Tweak of the Week' in a while, and a concerted attempt to resurrect MoDaCo 'Daily' content, previously named 'Features'. Today I have a tweak that is for Windows Mobile 6 Standard / Professional (Smartphone / Pocket PC) devices.

In Windows Mobile 6, there are 2 places where web search functionality is integrated into the UI. The first is the new 'Welcome Page' in Pocket IE, and the second is the Search Box in 'Windows Live', be that on the home / today screen, or in the Windows Live application itself. Pretty cool, but for me of limited use as the search boxes launch 'Windows Live Search' (obviously), and i'm a Google Searcher :wub:

Enter the CAB file attached to this post. By installing this CAB, both of these searches will instead launch a Google mobile optimised search. It works great, and is very useful indeed - Windows Mobile 6 users, give it a try! ;)

PIE search box, before and after screenshots are attached below.

Until next time...

P

MoDaCo_Google_Search.cab

post-1-1179733755_thumb.png post-1-1179733765_thumb.png post-1-1179733760_thumb.png

ok, I just downloaded this YESTERDAY, and like an idiot, accidentaly delted it, now it's saying the file is missing? Can anyone re-up?

• 2 months later...
Guest betwixt

Actually this cab isn't working for me. It only opens the google page without search results... I wonder why. On another ROM, the other day it did work...

Regards,

DM

• 5 months later...
Guest hymne

NEWBIE here!

Sorry, just tell me how to install?

got it on the root folder of Kaiser, and then..?

Also try to install gpsviewer but says it needs appocation..

THANKS!

• 2 months later...
Guest chrisjaffe

I have used this app for a long time on several phones including my moto q9h. I recently upgraded this phone to the leaked 6.1 ROM and it will no longer work. Now when I try to search I am taken to a google page and the search string is completed properly but it says no results found. If I press the search button again I see the proper results.

Is this a WM6.1 thing or a Q thing? Any thoughts?