UPDATED to 1.1.0: Samsung releases developer APIs for Windows Mobile devices

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

[teaser]Update - Samsung have now bumped their API to version 1.10!

In addition to existing APIs for compelling features such as accelerometer, haptics, and light sensor, the new SDK 1.1.0 offers developers access to advanced camera functionality and 3-D/surround sound processing (R2VS) on select phone models.

The new SDK also supports three new devices: the SGH-i200 Click, the SGH-i627 Propel Pro, and the SGH-i637 Jack.

To download the SDK, please visit http://tiny.cc/SMISDK11.

Once again, hats off to Samsung! :(

P[/teaser]

Samsung have released developer APIs for their Windows Mobile devices via their 'Samsung Innovator' programme.

Detailed here at the Samsung Innovator website, the APIs are aimed at native developers (that is NOT Compact Framework developrers) and cover a wide range of the unique range of hardware features found on Samsung devices.

Supported devices are the SGH-i617 - BlackJack II (AT&T), SGH-i907 Epix (AT&T), SCH-i760 Robin (Verizon), SCH-i770 Saga (Verizon), SCH-i910 Omnia (Verizon), SPH-i325 ACE (Sprint), SGH-i780 Mirage (Europe) and of course the SGH-i900 Omnia (Europe).

While not every API is of course supported on every device (due to hardware not being included), the APis do provide access to the following:

logo_top.gif
Accelerometer API

The Samsung accelerometer API enables applications to synchronously or asynchronously obtain acceleration values in the X, Y, and Z axis directions. Accelerometers can measure acceleration in one, two, or three directions,

depending on their capabilities. (Samsung devices typically support 3-axis accelerometers.)

Accelerometers measure the acceleration in terms of Earth’s gravitational force, or 'g' (9.8m/sec²). The sensitivity, or resolution, of the acceleration values along each axis and the directions of the accelerometer axes vary from device to device. These are not specified by the Samsung accelerometer API. Please refer to device-specific documentation for these details.

LED API

A typical Samsung device contains two LEDs: a notification LED and a keyboard LED, both of which can be controlled with the LED API. (There is also an LCD display backlight, which is controlled by the settings interface and not the SMI LED API.)

The LED API controls two LED attributes:

• Display State - The keyboard LED can be either on or off; the notification LED can be on, off, or blinking.

• Color - The notification LED can display different colors, depending on the hardware setting. The Keyboard LED is monochrome white.

Wheel Key API

The Samsung Wheel Key API enables applications to distinguish between normal Windows UP & DOWN key events from that of wheel key UP & DOWN events.

Optical Mouse API

This optical mouse API functions allow the programmer to set and get the optical mouse operation mode and mouse speed.

TV Out API

The TV Out API controls video output provided by a phone's analog video signal connector. The interface allows the application to change brightness, contrast, and video quality. The specific features of the TV Out values vary from device to device. These are not specified by the Samsung TV Out API. Please refer to device-specific documentation for these details.

Orientation API

The Orientation API is a service-level API that provides a centralized orientation service for all applications. This API enables applications to register handlers associated with phone movements. This API is implemented by a centralized polling mechanism for effective CPU utilization.

Light Sensor API

The Light Sensor API gives an application access to the illuminance measured by the device’s light sensor. The illuminance is given in lux; the range and precision of this value can vary from device to device.

Camera Flash API

The camera flash API controls the camera LED flash lamp.

Slider API

The Samsung Slider API enables applications to determine if a slider phone's keyboard is opened or closed.

Kudos to Samsung for being the first Windows Mobile vendor to take this step! I would love to see support for managed code and support for UI elements, but it's a great start. HTC... your turn! B)

P

Edit: Chris and I discussed the APIs in our 'WinMo Week 27.5' Podcast!

Guest Alcedes
Samsung have released developer APIs for their Windows Mobile devices via their 'Samsung Innovator' programme.

Detailed here at the Samsung Innovator website, the APIs are aimed at native developers (that is NOT Compact Framework developrers)

It's a native API but the functions are simple enough to be easily P/Invoked. There's even an example of calling the APIs from managed code at the end of the documentation.

I'm just happy to get legitimized access to OEM specific functionality. Since Samsung is documenting these APIs and making them known I'm less concerned with them breaking during a firmware update.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.