Telephoto Omnia

Guest dwallersv

Guest dwallersv

Several weeks ago I posted about this find that I stumbled over, and given the cheap price ($20 total w/ S&H), seemed like a worthwhile risk for the cost of a decent lunch.

Well, it's arrived, and I love it! The lens itself is a 3" long x 1" dia. solidly built 6x magnifier with a focus ring on the front, that adjusts from 3' to infinity. It comes with a custom clamshell that snaps over the Omnia and provides a mounting bayonet for the lens. Also comes with a cleaning cloth -- nice touch at this price.

So, here it is:

post-479152-1242850357_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture taken off my back deck without the telephoto lens, no digital zoom:

post-479152-1242850379_thumb.jpg

Finally, here's a picture taken from the same spot in the same direction, but with the lens attached. If you click the previous picture to get the full resolution, you can see that tree in the center of the telephoto picture:

post-479152-1242850414_thumb.jpg

Now, it must be said that this is not, of course, a substitute for a good camera like a digital SLR. In competing with compact digital pocket cameras, it's pretty decent. The latter have an advantage of less awkward form-factor, but the disadvantage of usually being at home when you need to take a "fun" or "memories" photo. I've started taking A LOT more pictures like that now that I have a decent camera built in to my phone, which is always with me.

So, I count this as a valuable addition to my Omnia. Gonna leave it in the glovebox of my car, which is also almost always wherever I am. Gives me the ability to take much better pictures when hiking, at the beach, buzzing around Santa Cruz with the family on the weekend, whatever -- I don't have to sacrifice resolution with that digital zoom, and the lens fits nicely in my pocket. Now and then, under the sorts of circumstances above, using my phone with that clamshell on it is no big deal, and it fits in my belt case (though it's a bit snug). I just take it off later and toss the whole mess back in the glovebox.

The one drawback is focus -- you have to focus the telephoto before you take the picture, and it's really tough to do it through the camera in bright lighting conditions. What I do instead is just look through the lens myself and get it in focus, then mount it on the camera (just slides on) and take the picture. This means that it isn't practical for shots that need constant autofocus, like sports or anything that is changing distance constantly.

Still, in the end for what it can do to enhance your Omnia utility and experience, it's worth a Lincoln.

Edited by dwallersv

Guest dwallersv

Yeah, that sucks.

I found that it is most pronounced when focusing near infinity. For closer shots, up to about 30 yards, pretty much the whole field in in focus. I'll post an example.

Guest intersys

Still - for 20 bucks that's not bad at all.

Yeah, that sucks.

I found that it is most pronounced when focusing near infinity. For closer shots, up to about 30 yards, pretty much the whole field in in focus. I'll post an example.

Guest Tim-H

Even though there is the fish eye effect at long distance, thanks to the resolution of the camera, you can put whatever you are shooting in the middle and crop it later. Nice especially for $20 thanks for the review.

Guest pharao010

placed my order last week, it will be a nice accesoire for my omnia, i`ll try it out on my trip in Morocco..., for 20 dollar i`ll give it a try. !!!

oooh i placed the order here :samsung omnia mobile telescope

ciao

UPDATE 26-05-2009

so today it arrived by mail, all the parts on the picture are in the box, a crystal casing, the telescope (lens) ,2 pieces of cleaning cloth and a neck cord.

i took 3 pics so you can see the difference for yourself

no1

standardn.jpg standard shot, no zoom.... no telescope

no2

zoom.jpgwith full digital zoom, no telescope !!!

no3.

zoomtelescope.jpg with full digital zoom and telescope !!!

i hope this will help you a bit, so far i`m not unhappy.

it took 8 days from HongKong to Holland, not bad at all, cause i paid 3 dollar air mail.

gr

Pharao010

post-541874-1243099949_thumb.jpg

Edited by pharao010

Guest Christian Spain
what was the point in that? are you just trying to get people to go to the thread?

just joking around. No worries edited and it's gone.

Guest Rooster Misfit
just joking around. No worries edited and it's gone.

i wasnt trying to be mean if it came off that way, just curious cause it really didnt have anything to do with the thread