Orange SPV E200 Questions

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Yes I installed quite a few things yesterday. I'lll now read the hard reset instructions - thanks a lot for your help :lol: !

I charged it last night, it was around90%, I switched itoff, and then this morning it wouldn't work.

I tried connecting it to PC this morning but now it can't find it - the phone charges, but the PC still doesn't know it's there.

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Thankyou so very much, I don't know how to thank you!!! It worked! I now have normal SPV3!

[i am now officially renaming the SPV E200 to SPV3 as it's easier to type :lol:]

So, what went wrong with it? I installed quite a few things on it (I've attached a screen dump of the apps - I didn't install all of them, but most of them). How do I know which applications are safe to use and which aren't?

Thanks once again!

pic.gif

Guest Toyota-F1.com

I've read in quite a few places "IPSM", but it's not in the "hard drive" of my phone. :?

Where do I put .hme files?

Can I connect to the PC without it charging the phone? - I don't want to damage the battery! (In case that's what it might do :lol: )

Something which I can’t figure; whenever you “activate” an application e.g. Windows Media Player, then close it (even though there’s no official way of closing, I think)

Thanks for your help everybody - your help gives me great confidence in the use of this SmartPhone!

So, what went wrong with it? I installed quite a few things on it (I've attached a screen dump of the apps - I didn't install all of them, but most of them). How do I know which applications are safe to use and which aren't?
It's great to know you got the SPV3 :wink: up and going again :D

It's best to store all applications to SD card and leave as much phone memory free as possible. You can also store WAV files to the SD card in the 'My Documents' folder. The only thing I generaly put in phone memory are homescreens and I always delete the last one with Settings-Remove Programs before installing a new one. Also watch out for downloaded E-mail file attachments which are also stored on the phone along with SMS messages.

The greatest recommendation for a new SPV owner is to go and buy yourself the biggest SD card you can afford :lol:

I've read in quite a few places "IPSM", but it's not in the "hard drive" of my phone.
It's called IPSM on the SPV/SPVE100 and called something else on the E200 (can't remember :? ) but its the main folder for storing files on the phone.

Can I connect to the PC without it charging the phone? - I don't want to damage the battery! (In case that's what it might do  )

I had my SPV for over a year and always charged the phone when connected - never had any problems.

Something which I can’t figure; whenever you “activate” an application e.g. Windows Media Player, then close it (even though there’s no official way of closing, I think)

The is due to the Smartphone OS having memory management which is supposed to handle that side of things. I think the idea is that applications remain open so you swap between them and its up to Management to decide when its best to close them. Personally I don't find it helps the phones performance and like to close the apps myself.

Try using SP Task Manager to frequently check the system memory and also use it to close applications in the background. Another handy app is Quickclose which zaps ALL background tasks in one go (maybe add this as a speedial) :(

Remember that you can put as many Application, WAVs, videos, MP3's, games and so on to the SD card without affecting performance so have lots of fun with it :(/

Guest Toyota-F1.com

So…

I’ve done the Orange Update, got OptiWiz, but my GD87e isn’t compatible with the SPV :? It was compatible with the SPV1 – I could transfer contacts with that!

How do I know which applications will harm my phone and which won’t? After I installed most of the apps (image attached on earlier post) it stopped working, but now I haven’t installed all of them – so which apps are evil :twisted: ?

Guest Toyota-F1.com

I think the video converting is fantastic! -Found in "Articles" forum. I've converted some audio and video files, now I have an audio filegone from 3.13MB to 800MB!

I've copied music from a CD onto my hard drive using Windows Media Player, and I've tried to "encode" it using Windows Encoder, but it says that it's not a file that it can encode - any ideas?

About the SD Card, when people say it drains the battery, is it when the phones senses there is a card there (i.e. when you insert it you hear it go "click", and it lights up) or is more power used up because of he contact between SD Card and phone? I'm asking because for the moment, I want to leave the Dust Protecion "SD Card" in the slot. :D

Are there four signal bars or 3? It kinda looks like the antenna, I can't tell if it's 3 bars or 4, I'm thinking it's 4. :?

In case you're interested my batch number is HT352D!

On the box it says SAR Level 0.317 - I'm sure it's 0.817 (according to the guide and other sources I've seen earlier) so I think it must be a misprint.

Not inviting any sort of luck or anything but I've read so many people have had to have so many SPV3s, but this is my first, and it seems perfect, I dunno why!

Talking of which, it's crashed once (during WMP as I said in an earlier post) and what I was doing today is removing the program DockWare from SD Card (real SD Card - the Orange Add On!) and after it said that it's installed but some things will be removed after switch-off etc. it went really slow. Luckily I could tell it was going slowly, so I pressed home and then the power off button and about 5 minutes and about 6 operations, it switched off so there was no need for me to remove the battery. When I re-on'd the phone, it worked normally, any ideas why (the sudden slowdown, not the fine restart :lol: )?

Talking of DockWare, what is it supposed to do, is it a screensaver?

Thanks in advance for answers to this post (and of course other posts) and for reading! :(

PS After finding new sites, I have found out how to install .hme files :(, so need to tell me.

Have a look at our FAQ (Frequently Questioned Answers) section where there is a load of great info and check 'First 48 hours' for details on installing files including .hme :wink:

How do I know which applications will harm my phone and which won’t? After I installed most of the apps (image attached on earlier post) it stopped working, but now I haven’t installed all of them – so which apps are evil  ?

It's possible that you could find one or two programs not yet compatible with the E200 but they would only need deleted via Settings - Remove Programs and shouldn't cause the phone any real problems.

As said earlier the phone has most problems when the internal memory runs low so where possible install all files to SD card.

Talking of DockWare, what is it supposed to do, is it a screensaver?
Never really used it but I think you're right it's a screensaver application.

I've converted some audio and video files, now I have an audio filegone from 3.13MB to 800MB!

WOW :shock: 800MB is huge - are you sure your settings are correct :wink:

I've copied music from a CD onto my hard drive using Windows Media Player, and I've tried to "encode" it using Windows Encoder, but it says that it's not a file that it can encode - any ideas?
Not sure - never tried it myself :oops:

Try searching for some past topics and see if anything comes up.

Are there four signal bars or 3?

There are 4 signal bars

When I re-on'd the phone, it worked normally, any ideas why (the sudden slowdown, not the fine restart  )?

How many background tasks were running at the time? If it happen again then try using the program quickclose and see if it clears it.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
I've converted some audio and video files, now I have an audio filegone from 3.13MB to 800MB!  

WOW  800MB is huge - are you sure your settings are correct

Sorry, I meant from 3.13MB to 800KB i.e. 0.8MB!!! :oops:

Re:

Music copying

I've found a way to do it, quite a long process, but can be done, if anyone wants to know, just ask! :lol:

How many background tasks were running at the time? If it happen again then try using the program quickclose and see if it clears it.

Not sure, it was my first day and I bearly knew the phone!

---

I've got Xbar, an Alt+Tab utility, I can activate it (it's .exe) but how do you do Alt+Tab?!!!

Any idea what that black button at the back of the handset is? I've removed it and it looks like the thing that was also on a Nokia nk402 I've seen.

Guest Disco Stu
Any idea what that black button at the back of the handset is?  I've removed it and it looks like the thing that was also on a Nokia nk402 I've seen.

Do you mean the black rubber button ?

It's to stop the phone sliding around on shiny surfaces.

Absolutely essential piece of kit :lol:

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Do you mean the black rubber button ?

It's to stop the phone sliding around on shiny surfaces.

Absolutely essential piece of kit :lol:

Yep, but it's got something in it (go on, take it out!!). I'm sure it's primary purpose isn't to stop it sliding :?

Mmm this is very interesting. I work for Orange... u mentioned retentions, I worked (and still do login when its very busy - which is often with everyone wanting free phones!) and also correspondence (currently). U say u got it free etc etc feels like u pulled a fast one, but at the end of the day u signed up for another 12 mnths and if it wasnt viable from a business point of view u wouldnt have got it free. Not having a go but at the end of the day we want to keep yr custom then yr welcome to it...

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Mmm this is very interesting. I work for Orange... u mentioned retentions, I worked (and still do login when its very busy - which is often with everyone wanting free phones!) and also correspondence (currently). U say u got it free etc etc feels like u pulled a fast one, but at the end of the day u signed up for another 12 mnths and if it wasnt viable from a business point of view u wouldnt have got it free. Not having a go but at the end of the day we want to keep yr custom then yr welcome to it...

You're very welcome to read this - and read it very carefully, and then reply here about the matter :lol:

http://www.whatmobile.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4603

You can also read this too if you wish:

http://www.whatmobile.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6129

Any idea what that black button at the back of the handset is? I've removed it and it looks like the thing that was also on a Nokia nk402 I've seen.

I sounds like the connection for a handsfree/car kit

well, worked my way through the rambling... couple of things... price of the phones... do depend on the tariffs and as with anything if u kick up a fuss u do tend to go further. blood boiled a bit with hecatae + tred "ask 4 yr pac" + "makes them a bit kinder to you if they think you might leave"... blatant! give me what i want or ill leave... nothing i can do about that and it is a bit annoying on the phone when u realise that is what the customer is doing...

second

this kid is 16 and calling to term the contract?? mentioned 'mum' we should be speaking to her only. kid should not be able to negotiate anything (unless the kids mum was there and specifically told the op that her sprout is dealing with her acc- but would u trust a 16 yr old? maybe- not sure about that one)... interesting links, ta

what u think?

Guest Toyota-F1.com

OK,

price of the phones... do depend on the tariffs and as with anything if u kick up a fuss u do tend to go further
The fact of the matter is, I was offered the Orange SPV E200 for free (in fact any phone except SE P900), I said I'd phone back after considering. I was given a number to phone back, I did that and it turns out to be a different department. The person never put any details on my account and they didn't give me their ext. no. Why? Were they just messing me about?

At first I didn't even want any phone, I just wanted to cancel the contract, I sadi I'd be interested in any offers to keep me on, and this is what they came out with. After ytalking to a number of people, nobody would believe me me. My mum even said that loads of people probably do ring up for a free phone, so people who are genuine won't get believed. After being offered the phone free I was soooo excited that I'd be getting it and I was finding new info on it at such a pace!

Even after writing the letter to the Retentions Manager, it has been read, but nobody, nobody replied!!! How bad is that?!!

Yes I'm 16. Yes I do phone Orange. My parents always know when I phone Orange because I tell them what about.

but would u trust a 16 yr old? maybe- not sure about that one

You don't know me, like I don't know you :lol: .

Fair enough. Do u have 3rd party on the account? its ok to tell them what u phone about but if u dont have that she has to be THERE when u call. even a third party cant just call up to upgrade, it has to be the account holder (the same with disconnection). if u have any issue and want a guaranteed reply, write to correspondence.

about the lack of details on the account about yr previous call, i cant make excuses. it does happen, whether he/she forgot or another call came through before they could note it (new call wiped yr details), i dont know... what i do know is its annoying.

i wasnt getting at u + yr age. im sure u are very responsible.

enjoy yr new phone.

if u have any issues post them and ill try and give advice.

Guest Toyota-F1.com

For some reason all my contact on my phone went missing so I sync'd it with my PC and all my contacts on there went so I'm going to type them all out again :evil: :lol:

For some reason all my contact on my phone went missing so I sync'd it with my PC and all my contacts on there went so I'm going to type them all out again  

I bet you will use orange back up next time :wink:

Guest Toyota-F1.com

I bet you will use orange back up next time :wink:

Nope :wink:

I'm not wasting money on backing up contacts when I can do it using Outlook! 8)

Just set the Internet Connection to 'Pass through' and attach the phone to USB cable.

When you surf the net - no small G :shock:

This is because the phone is now using the PC's modem link :lol:/