UK Orange MPx200 Users

Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY

Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY

I brought my MPx200 on the Orange Your Plan 120 tarrif a few days ago and have been playing around with it. However I've been asking around in various threads but haven't found any definite answers to a few questions:

GPRS:

Does Orange activate GPRS on first connection or do you have to request it? I see the "G" icon in the toolbar a few times, but I understand that I haven't selected a GPRS package.

Also, hoq do they charge for usage with MSN Messenger? I know they charge per byte, but how many lines of text would 1mb be?

WAP:

Orange are offering free WAP pages for the first month for new users so I'm planning on using it to test it out. But I've got two questions, are WAP minutes included in the minutes free per month? Also, I understand that you can also browse using GPRS, but I can't find an option which allows you to select which method you want to connect with.

The Orange Update and Backup services:

Are these chargeable or free to Orange users?

Guest np27np27

You get Orange world free for the first full month that your with Orange. Be careful...FULL MONTH. So if you were with orange already the full month will start at your next bill date. (I fell foul to this one and got charged!)

You get 3MB of free GPRS and Wap so it doesn't matter which you use they total it up together. Dont forget you also get 10 txts and 150 photo messages(if your phone can send them) free for the promotion offer.

You have to activate orange world (GPRS/WAP) though customer services as do you photo messages. The G icon means GPRS is available in the area.

MSN messenger connects through WAP/GPRS so will come out of your 3MB allowance.

And as for the Orange Update/Backup...I'm not sure. Ring 150 and ask customer services. I cant see it being free though. Most likely uses GPRS, so may come out of your 3MBs.

:)

Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY
You get Orange world free for the first full month that your with Orange. Be careful...FULL MONTH. So if you were with orange already the full month will start at your next bill date. (I fell foul to this one and got charged!)

You get 3MB of free GPRS and Wap so it doesn't matter which you use they total it up together. Dont forget you also get 10 txts and 150 photo messages(if your phone can send them) free for the promotion offer.

You have to activate orange world (GPRS/WAP) though customer services as do you photo messages. The G icon means GPRS is available in the area.

MSN messenger connects through WAP/GPRS so will come out of your 3MB allowance.

And as for the Orange Update/Backup...I'm not sure. Ring 150 and ask customer services. I cant see it being free though. Most likely uses GPRS, so may come out of your 3MBs.

:)

Thanks for the info. About this Full month thingy, I' ve started a new contract so theoretically I should be on my first month from the start, however, I called up Orange and they say that my first bill will be charged between the 7th Jan to the 14 th Jan coz that's when apparently the billing period starts so will any WAP and GPRS calls now be chargeable then?? Surely they should make clear details like these to customers.

Guest np27np27

It all depends on when they activated the GPRS! I'm not totaly sure what you mean..but if you mean your billing date will be the 14th of each month, then your free month will start after 14th Jan. so you will be charged up until that day.

Best to call them again and confirm the day from which you will get free orange world. They should make it clear but I have found orange to be a bunch of muppets sometimes. They didnt tell me, so i got charged and then when i complained they said they cant do much about it and i must pay! It was only bout 2 quid so i couldnt really be arsed to argue!

Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY

Nope, still have no idea. Some ppl say that it's prolly part of the GPRS service so anything you update or backup will be using up the GPRS quota. :)

Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY
Surely that would be too much to ask from a multi-billion pound organsisation with thousands of members of staff!!!!!! :)

Yeh, you could be right. :roll:

Guest gazzampx

the free month trail of orange world will start whenever you ask for it not from next bill date, i think that the orange world for the mpx is only worth it if it's round about how much your gonna use cause after that 3mb it's 2.55+vat per MB! So if you you were to buy a 7 mb bundle to start off with its only £6! of course after the free month, cause after the first free month you have to cancel it otherwise it will continue for £4 which again is good value!

The amount you are charged depends on what you are looking at, each page has its own kb size depending on the info on the page, obviously net pages are much bigger than the orange wap pages, 3mb would get u on average 3,000WAP pages significanly less net pages! an bout 100 read only e-mails!

Guest samandiain
Binary,

Definately because the GPRS used by sending/receiving mail is covered under a GPRS bundle but not a World one; trust me they stung me for it!

are you saying that they have different types of GPRS, and that the free MB included in the world bundle is not the kind suitable for internet access? what is it for then? just wap?

If that is the case I'm going back to the orange shop to kick the guy that gave me my upgrade. I asked for a gprs bundle and he told me i could get the world bundle free for the first month instead!

how do we know which types of gprs are used for which services? - i.e. orange backup, orange update msn messenger (never used it)

This whole phone trainer thing is turning out to be one big gimmick - most don't know anything!

Iain

Guest gazzampx

well yes! genarally the orange world will go on as standered but it depends if your "phone trainer" at your orange shop could be bothered to explain it all to you. You or the person in the shop would of had to tell orange when they upgraded/connected you that you do want the orange world acces! they wont put on unless instructed to! Check your reciept if its on there it should be on your account! :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

are you saying that they have different types of GPRS, and that the free MB included in the world bundle is not the kind suitable for internet access? what is it for then? just wap?

If that is the case I'm going back to the orange shop to kick the guy that gave me my upgrade. I asked for a gprs bundle and he told me i could get the world bundle free for the first month instead!

how do we know which types of gprs are used for which services? - i.e. orange backup, orange update msn messenger (never used it)

This whole phone trainer thing is turning out to be one big gimmick - most don't know anything!

Iain

Yep Iwould agree with phone trainers being useless, along with all the people at data services (156), I subscribed to the wap bundle about a year ago, before they called it Orange World, it was then unlimited (to a point 10Mb), I went to buy a new phone and found out that it would cost me a lot more in data charges so I went for an ugrade to keep me 10 meg. My MPX200 keeps trying to download html pages, and is always redirected to PDA pages or Smartphone pages which with photos included come in at around 35Kb - 50Kb where as a wap page comes in at 2Kb at the most. I rang Orange and said to them will I get charged extra for the phone keep on accessing proper web pages and they couldn't tell me!! They said we have made a note of your concern but bring it up if you get billed and we will sort it out then. I have rung and spoke to several people to try and get a definitive answer, no-one knows.

Ad as far as phone trainers go, I went into the Orange shop, asked to look at an MPX200 and told the young kiddy, show me the wap on this phone, he couldn't while he wwent off to find out, I installed my sim card in it and then proceeded to train the trainer in how the phone worked, this after I had, had the phone in my hand less than two minutes. Trainers my back side, spotty teenagers with shiny badge more like!!!

Count = 2

For i = 1 to Count

Count = Count + 1

Next PhoneTrainer Kill

Next i

And relax...., end of rant ---

Gary

Guest awarner [MVP]
Ok so Im new to all this, not the message boards though.

But could someone explain "decert it " to me please

Many thanks

Decert means to application unlock your phone.

the application lock is a method that Orange uses to prevent unsigned

software from running on your phone.

Software signing is there to provide reassurange that the application has

been checked and is deemed to be safe.

Guest JOEJOETHEJOEY

Anyone know whether you have to cancel the Orange World Access promotion or is it automatically removed after the first month? I've tried checking it through my account on the Orange website, but it only allows me to change to another tariff but it doesn't show the Orange World Access at all.