please help noob question.

Guest Hugh G

I have approximately 50 apps and games but can only install about 5 of them succesfully. Mostly, it will send it to the phone via sync cable, show the progress bar until full on my PC, then say look at your phone for further instructions if necessary or what not. Usually I can tell the app will not work because nothing happens on the phone and nothing was installed no matter how many times i do it. I am guessing it is because they are not signed/certified..? i dont know really, but that does not seem to be the case because I have read people talk about the more common ones installed on their mpx all the time.. i.e. pocketMVP, pocketTV, PHM reg edit etc.. They just run through the install process but dont actually install.

One more quick thing. My add/remove app manager shows a box where you can check to install to default directory or not. Well, mine is checked in and does not let me un-check it. I do have a memory card in there so I dont know why it does that. I guess I could copy the files directly then open the .cab but if anyone knows how to fix this plz let me know. thanks.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Welcome to the site :lol:

If nothing happens on the phone when you are trying to install it could be because you do not have enough free physical memory available but I doubt that as normally only Doom suffers from this :?

If your phone is not decerted you would get an error message rather than nothing at all.

As for Activsync don't worry about the install check box, as you get the choice where to install the app on the phone.

When installing apps and games try to install to the storage card rather than the phone as it helps to keep the phone's memory free.

Guest scott2eyes
Usually I can tell the app will not work because nothing happens on the phone and nothing was installed no matter how many times i do it. I am guessing it is because they are not signed/certified..?
I think that software that isn't signed/certified will usually install OK, but will refuse to run, instead coming up with a message saying that the software isn't signed.

Welcome to the site :lol:

If nothing happens on the phone when you are trying to install it could be because you do not have enough free physical memory available....

Depending on how you're installing them, it could be that you're just copying an EXE file to the phone/SD card without putting a shortcut in the Programs menu- so the software could be there, but with no way of running it...

well, thanks for the input but let me try to explain better maybe i missed something.. I went for a hard reset to start fresh so i can make sure its not just me. This leaves me with just over 8 megs free. The problem is that I am trying to install a 26mb file to my SD card. What appmanager does is (for me at least) force me to install to the 8 megs on the phone and it warns me saying there is no room. I say ok and it starts installing anyway but when it gets to about 8 megs my phone beeps at me saying low on memory and the file fails to install and appmanager closes unsuccesfuly. I also have 10mb and other large files I cannot install because of the check box being fixed like it is. If I cannot uncheck that I dont know what you mean exactly to not worry and just install to the mem card. How? for instance the 26 mb file is just a win32 .exe. No cabs, nothing.

And now, more, bigger problems. After it reset it asked me if i wanted to format the mem card also. I chose yes since it didnt have anything except one mp3 anyway. The phone did something then came back with a message "An error occured while formatting the storage card folder. (error code 0)." Whatever that means. So now whenever I reboot the phone it asks me, "Would you like the system to format the storage card folder so that the system can use it?" Again I say yes and I get the same error. Thats not the only problem. It seems now that because of this problem I cannot even explore the phone remotely... I open active sync and press explore.. nothing. It wont see the phone. On top of that NOTHING install now. not even file manager. It just sends it to the phone where it says it failed to install. NOTHING installs. nothing

please someone help before i drop kick the phone into the trash or sell it.

Guest scott2eyes
The problem is that I am trying to install a 26mb file to my SD card. What appmanager does is (for me at least) force me to install to the 8 megs on the phone and it warns me saying there is no room.
If you're just trying to copy a file to the SD card, have you tried just copy-and-pasting using Windows Explorer and Activesync? (Or if you've got a card reader, by using that instead of the phone interface.)

And at the risk of sounding extremely patronising- how big is your SD card?

...The phone did something then came back with a message "An error occured while formatting the storage card folder. (error code 0)." Whatever that means. So now whenever I reboot the phone it asks me, "Would you like the system to format the storage card folder so that the system can use it?" Again I say yes and I get the same error. Thats not the only problem. It seems now that because of this problem I cannot even explore the phone remotely... I open active sync and press explore.. nothing. It wont see the phone. On top of that NOTHING install now. not even file manager. It just sends it to the phone where it says it failed to install. NOTHING installs. nothing

please someone help before i drop kick the phone into the trash or sell it.

Hmm- sounds frustrating! Although it sounds like the problem might be an error on the card rather than something wrong with the phone...

As for ActiveSync not seeing the phone in Explorer, this might be a more straightforward & unrelated issue (it sounds like something I get every so often, and I think a few other people on the boards have reported it) as you've got Activesync open and you can press the explore button, it must be seeing your phone. However, sometimes nothing comes up in explorer- I think this is something to do with firewalls, and rebooting the PC solves the problem for me (as I'm on a work computer and can't mess about with the firewall settings.) This problem never seems to happen (touch wood) the first time it's connected- it's only when the phones been turned off or disconnected and then reconnected again.

(Oddly, when Explorer can't see the phone to copy files to and from it, Media Player still recognises it as an external device, so I can copy media files but nothing else.)

thanks for the quick input scott2eyes. Firstly, I am not copying anything, I open the .exe on my pc which runs me throught the setup. I was under the impression that i could not copy a win32 app into the phone directly as it must be in cab format in order to install directly off the phone..?

update - after 2 pc reboots and 5 phone reboots (i counted) i was able to succesfuly format the card and view everything clearly through active sync and explorer. I dont get it nor do I know why it suddenly worked. I guess it could have been the card but why I have no idea why .. and its a lexar 512. As far as media player recognizing it meanwhile I had the problem was not true in my case. Its as if i dint have a card at all.. I installed my first app just now, file manager, and it worked OK.

I am still having problems installing tho if anyone can help me here. how can i install this? should I copy the exe directly?

Guest awarner [MVP]

What are you actually trying to install? ther is not a Smartphone app

around that is 26MB in size.

Are you sure the app is for the Smartphone and not the Pocket PC?

No app its a game. Gilbert goodmate.. z-logics.com .. It has no cab so i cant copy directly. I need to un-check that box. i think. All it is is a 26mb Win32 exe.

Guest scott2eyes
No app its a game. Gilbert goodmate.. z-logics.com ..  It has no cab so i cant copy directly. I need to un-check that box. i think. All it is is a 26mb Win32 exe.

I've had a look at z-logics.com, and the only version on the download section is for PDAs- not SmartPhones. That could be your problem...

Yes. I installed alphaflux as soon as i saw it. Although it managed to wipe out my memory card..but thats another story.

As far as it being for PDAs only that would suck. I read this: "The first release will be for Pocket PC 2002/2003 powered devices using the ARM or XScale processor. You need a 16 Bit color display and unfortunately a lot of free memory." under the 'what formats will be supported' section and I thought ARM and PPC 2002 was enough for me to run, is this not true?

Guest scott2eyes
As far as it being for PDAs only that would suck. I read this: "The first release will be for Pocket PC 2002/2003 powered devices using the ARM or XScale processor. You need a 16 Bit color display and unfortunately a lot of free memory." under the 'what formats will be supported' section and I thought ARM and PPC 2002 was enough for me to run, is this not true?

I don't know much about the hardware side of things, but although that sounds OK (except I think smartphones have 8 bit colour), the Smartphone operating system is different to the Pocket PC system that PDAs use- for example, PDA's rely on a stylus for navigating menus etc., wheras the Smartphone uses the cursor and softkeys- so "point & click" games become pretty tricky to run.

:lol:

(But look on the bright side- at least it's not a problem with your phone!)

Guest np27np27

Yep as far as i know the app or game must be designed for smartphone to work or at least be compatible. if your game is for a PDA then its not likely to be either of the above.

oh. I should have read more carefully when awarner mentioned if this was not a pocket pc application instead of smartphone. I guess if its not compatible then I can accept that. Now that im on the subject, has anyone tried out pocketSCUMM??

-> http://arisme.free.fr/PocketScumm/index.php <- It says smartphone but im not sure how well it will run on the mpx. It seems like a lot to do just to try it so maybe someone already has and wants to share?

One more thing, anyone know why my pocketMVP keeps deleting itself after a soft reboot? I install it then after a power off/on the program is completely gone. Weird. It still shows up in app manager and in my settings/remove programs but it is physically not there anymore and i have to reinstall all the time.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Pocket Scumm will run on the MPX but for you to try it you have to own the original games to play on it.

Never had the PocketMVP problem you do :? I presume you have downloaded it via www.monolithix.org and installit via the cab etc.

Well thats good. I own almost every game on their compatability list. Except, of course, those kids games. I am a huge fan of adventure games. Too bad I have already played most of them with the exception of a couple that I cant wait to try. It should be interesting to point and click on this tiny screen and those hard to find objects become that much harder to find..

As for pocketMVP, yes, I did get it from monolithix, copied the cab to the phone and opened it from there. On reboot, the link to it is broken and I look for it manually and its physically gone. I have no idea why that is. I keep a backup of it on my storage card just in case now.