HTC Tanager with Windows Mobile 2003?

Guest WeaponX

Guest WeaponX

Here's an initial review of an HTC Tanager with Windows Mobile 2003.

The review originated from GeekZone:

Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphone 2003 sneak peek

Reviews : Windows Mobile Smartphone, posted 15/07/2003 18:39:19 NZ, read 6591 times

Today I had an interesting meeting with a Microsoft person. For now I'll keep the names wrapped, but I have them .

Initially the meeting was just to allow me to check the HTC Tanager mobile phone. But then I was told the mobile was actually running on the not yet released Microsoft Windows Mobile Smartphone 2003.

Apparently there are ten of these in New Zealand. The main reason why they're not in the market yet is because our GSM provider (Vodafone) is still evaluating the market opportunities for this smartphone. Mind you there are a couple of other smartphone devices here, including the Sony Ericsson P800 and the Nokia 3650, both running Symbian OS.

For its characteristics the Windows Mobile Smartphone ("Tanager") is more like the Nokia 3650: a mobile phone with data capabilities, while I think of the Sony Ericsson P800 as a PDA with voice capabilities.

Anyway, the initial conversation strayed to a more broad interpretation of the market. What kind of users are more likely to buy a smartphone, and for that matter a Windows Mobile Smartphone? What kind of network integration is needed to bring this product to the market in New Zealand, where the dominat mobile provider is not closely related to Microsoft anywhere else in the world?

This is not a mobile device for "lifestyle" users. People who want to send SMS or MMS will be happy with a Sharp GX 10. We both agreed that business people are more likely to buy this kind of device. And more specifically the Windows Mobile Smartphone. Why?

I've seen the Windows Mobile Smartphone 2003 in action and it is nice. This new version feels 30% faster than the 2002 version (according to the user). The boot time on this windows Mobile Smartphone and on my Nokia 3650 is almost the same. And the Vodafone logo wasn't there yet - just a round green thing with a text "Operator logo" to indicate where the logo will show up at boot time.

The integration between the device's data capabilities (e-mail, calendar, contacts) with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 is very well done.

The e-mail system is well implemented, with support for multiple mailboxes, ActiveSync/POP/IMAP in any combination. The OS supports schedules for automatic synchronisation on peak and off-peak hours, and options to only synchronise when new e-mail or appointment arrives on the server. The mobile phone will receive a notification (like the WAP "push") and initiate a sync action to pull the new content. Very smooth and well done, giving an "Always-on" e-mail service. Just beware that for this feature to work your provider or company must be using the Microsoft Exchange 2003 server and Exchange ActiveSync.

By they, it does not support an icon based menu, like the Symbian, but the numbered menu options are easy to access.

On the multimedia side, this new version supports Windows Media 9, with a very good picture quality.

The predictive T9 dialling is very nice, and shows not only the contacts, but also received calls, SMS and e-mails while browsing for a name. Menus acted fast and the response was very good. Finding a contact using the T9 dialling was faster than I could find using the Nokia 3650, which requires multitap.

According to this person, there's only a couple of things to finish before Vodafone New Zealand would approve this device to be sold on their stores. Mainly the requirement to have Vodafone Live! pre-installed on the device. This is tricky, because Java is part of the Vodafone Live! architecture, but it can be done. Apparently this could be a show stopper, but it's proven to work.

Although marketed somewhere else as QTEK 7070, this model will be sold as the i-Mate (as it is already sold in some countries), because this is an "easier" to remember brand.

The release of this mobile phone in New Zealand could be delayed for the same reasons O2 delayed theirs: "Shall we sell now with Windows Mobile Smartphone 2002 and offer an upgrade path, or wait and sell the new version"?

By the way, the phone does not support GPRS and voice calls at the same time, but this is a radio implementation not a software design problem. This is a GPRS Class B device.

I've seen the Windows Mobile 2003, and it now seems to be a worthy mobile phone technology. The easy of syncing with a desktop, like Pocket PCs do, is a plus. And for business users, the integration with Microsoft Exchange is great. I'm currently in the middle of a project to investigate and implement SyncML technologies to integrate all different kind of mobile devices (Palm, Symbian, Microsoft Windows Mobile, pure SyncML mobile phones) and this feature replaces all of them. If we could only make it standard to everyone in the company to have Pocket PCs and MS Smartphones . Time for a break now.

Your thoughts on this.

I think SMART should release the upgrade if they want their old SAPs to be disposed of as early as possible before they release the Voyager.

Guest casperr

Yes, I hope Smart offers this because even if there will be upgrade to 2003 OS like the one you are selling, it will definitely void the warranty for tampering the phone's OS. So unless Smart officially offers this, then upgrade to 2003 OS will be desired

Guest WeaponX

Maybe, one of the reasons why the phone until now, e di pa nabibili is because void na warranty nito. Probably, lowering the price might help.

Anyway, according to my reliable source, reversible ang upgrade. You can revert back to the original OS. The ideal ROM should be 1.6 or below if you want to upgrade the OS to WM2003.

Guest c0ntrite

is there anyway na ma contact yung smart pwera sa customer care nila? para naman malaman nila na ok pag nag upgrade sila ng os sa tanager.

bakit ok:

1. Magiging masaya ang customer sa service ng na gagawin smart

2. Ma-didipose na nila kaagad yung lumang sap kasi mas marami na bibili nun. syempre kailngan ng commercial :lol:

3. Magiging masaya ang customer sa service ng na gagawin smart

4. Magiging masaya ang customer sa service ng na gagawin smart

5. Magiging masaya ang customer sa service ng na gagawin smart

6. Magiging masaya ang customer sa service ng na gagawin smart

7. Magiging masaya ang customer sa service na gagawin ng smart

8. Magiging masaya ang customer sa service na gagawin ng smart

9. ..... at madami pang iba... hehehehhe

Guest WeaponX

Oo nga, pano natin maipapaabot sa SMART ang ating kahilingan? Mag-petition kaya tayo? :idea:

Anyway, meron akong update regarding dito sa phone. Nagamit ko ng sandali.

1. First of all, what I have observed is a faster menu and processing of the phone.

2. Boot-up shows Windows Mobile only. Walang 2003.

3. Inbox has two separate folders: SMS and Activesync

Yung sa Activesync, dito papasok yung mails mo from your phone and/or your desktop.

SMS counter is fixed. Also, you can sync na rin yung SMS sa desktop mo. (Nagagawa na ba ito sa 2002, di ko pa kasi natry?)

4. Sa Settings menu, there is a Beam selection where you can activate infrared by filling the check box. This time I think the infrared will stay alive for a longer time. Parang sa Nokia if we are going to activate its infrared.

5. The reason why 1.6 paSPAM yung ROM na kailangan kasi ROM should be unlocked. If you can unlock 1.7, then pwede na rin cguro.

6. Flightmode na yung sa Quicklist instead of Radio...

7. Yung game na Jaw Breaker is like Bubblets din pala.

8. Mabilis mag-load ang Windows Media Player. Eto kaya ay dahil nasa MMC yung mp3s? Wala na kasi akong storage card at di ko na matandaan. :lol:

9. Di pa nag-hahang yung phone. :D Okay bang feature to? :(

Next time uli... di ko pa na-try yung Camera.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WeaponX
How much memory were left?

Di ba dun sa SAP natin, dapat +5MB kapag walang application na naka-install.

Actually, very minimal lang yung difference. Can be tolerated. Sa pagkakatanda ko, wala pa sa 700K yung difference.

Guest kalinte

cool, but this will not be so hot once the e-200 reaches the philippine soil. coz it's already using the 2003 os. right? everybody will be getting the e-2003 not just for the 2003 os but for its built in cam, BT, etc.

Guest ppcsurfr

Well, Windows Mobile 2003 is WIndows Mobile 2003 however you look at it.

It's faster, more efficient, and definitely better than the previous platform.

Here's one thing though that you should also consider... While upgrading a Tanager to WM2003 may show good results, the hardware itself is still limited and an upgrade in RAM and ROM is still essential.

The Voyager will be available in two memory configurations, first... and probably what SMART will be offering is the 32MB ROM/32MB RAM configuration. The Voyager now available in Asia, offered by O2 (Xphone) will have a 64MB ROM/32MB RAM configuration.

What is more important? RAM or ROM? Well with the Smartphone, RAM is still more important as RAM is needed to handle temp files and active apps. ROM is where your Apps and Files are... and unlike the Pocket PC, most info is stored and written to ROM before any power off.

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

Guest WeaponX
cool, but this will not be so hot once the e-200 reaches the philippine soil. coz it's already using the 2003 os. right? everybody will be getting the e-2003 not just for the 2003 os but for its built in cam, BT, etc.

Well, for those who cannot afford the new SPV and who wants to experience the new OS, the upgrade is the best alternative. You can actually revert back to the original OS if you're not happy with the upgrade.

Guest WeaponX
Well, Windows Mobile 2003 is WIndows Mobile 2003 however you look at it.

It's faster, more efficient, and definitely better than the previous platform.

Here's one thing though that you should also consider... While upgrading a Tanager to WM2003 may show good results, the hardware itself is still limited and an upgrade in RAM and ROM is still essential.

The Voyager will be available in two memory configurations, first... and probably what SMART will be offering is the 32MB ROM/32MB RAM configuration.  The Voyager now available in Asia, offered by O2 (Xphone) will have a 64MB ROM/32MB RAM configuration.

What is more important? RAM or ROM? Well with the Smartphone, RAM is still more important as RAM is needed to handle temp files and active apps.  ROM is where your Apps and Files are... and unlike the Pocket PC, most info is stored and written to ROM before any power off.

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

Well said...

A question out of curiosity.. is it possible to upgrade the RAM of the Tanager?

I think the ROM won't be a problem since we can use an MMC or SD for the apps and files.

Guest kalinte

i just learned form a friend who's with smart telecom. the e-100 is sold to them at cost. how much you ask? Php 6,500.00. son of my lola, i ordered three units for starters. down side is cash purchase lang. one year warranty naman daw.

Guest WeaponX

Really? 6,500 lang? Pwede ba kaming kumuha? Paki-post naman sa ibang topic so that we won't be lost sa topic dito.

Magandang i-upgrade sa 2003 kahit ma-void ang warranty. :) Pero paano kaya? hmmm

Anyway, about the performance of the Tanager with 2003 okay naman even if you tried opening several applications kahit na 16MB yung RAM. Just make sure that you close some if you see that some applications don't start up.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WeaponX
can anyone please help me on how to upgrade my tanager to wm2003?? id really appreciate it.. :)

I'll be the first to help you If I found the upgrade and the procedure. :lol: Let's just wait and see. :lol:

Guest WeaponX
gagana ba ang bluetooth sd card sa wm2003? anybody here who already tried this?

WM2003 supports bluetooth already. I don't know if an external bluetooth card can be detected or used but bluetooth device integrated to Smartphones will surely work. This I think is a driver issue.

Guest WeaponX

I got an information from a reliable source that the remaining stocks of SAP from SMART might be upgraded to WM2003. They have problems moving their stocks which affects the release of Voyager. May mga nagbebenta na nga rin ng SAP1 direct from SMART employees. If the upgrade pushes thru, syempre, maraming magpapa-upgrade like me. Pero this time, I believe the upgrade to the latest OS will mean unlockable SAP1.

Also, there is a possibility that they offer the handsets at a lower plan.

Guest randy

WM2003 supports bluetooth already. I don't know if an external bluetooth card can be detected or used but bluetooth device integrated to Smartphones will surely work. This I think is a driver issue.

wm2003 upgrade doesn't have bluetooth support. the os is different with wm2003 installed on voyager.

Guest WeaponX

hmmm. :-#

My idea. Kasi, mukhang mas madaling i-unlock yung WM2003. May unlock software na kasi yung E200 using only the IMEI number.

Or the other way around, SMART will make the new OS totally locked. Yun naman syempre gusto nilang gawin. Right?

Guest WeaponX

wm2003 upgrade doesn't have bluetooth support. the os is different with wm2003 installed on voyager.

Yes, WM2003 won't detect bluetooth sa SAP1 kasi hindi ito built-in sa SAP1 but the OS itself supports bluetooth. WM2003 sa SAP1 is the same with SAP2.

It is like running Windows XP sa P4 or P3, same OS pa rin. :)

Guest randy
Yes, WM2003 won't detect bluetooth sa SAP1 kasi hindi ito built-in sa SAP1 but the OS itself supports bluetooth. WM2003 sa SAP1 is the same with SAP2.

yes, the OS supports BT but with wm2003 upgrade, there's no option to setup the BT. i've seen the voyager sometime last month and there's a BT menu somewhere. di ko yon makita sa wm2003 upgrade.