e200 Complaint to Orange

Guest Polly2Carpets

Guest drblow

:) Yup! & you may as well put some cotton wool in your ears to cover the buzzing, and hold your phone right beside your ear in order to use a bluetooth headset!!

Guest hadies

/packing bags and moving to Cambridge !! :)

If it's a BBC local station and we all have them in the areas we live in could it not be a good way to get them all together ? I.e a notional problem brought to the publics attention by the Local BBC ??? :D

Guest mark_jameson

Why does the FTP link to the OS update on the Orange website not work???? It hasnt worked for weeks and is virtually impossible to find in the orange website. Make something happen orange !!!!!!!

Guest DeFacto
Damn I wish I had read this thread before I went and upgraded to the e200.

Are you saying you regret having upgraded to the e200? I'm thinking of upgrading to it in a few days despite the problems mentioned but this thread is disconcerting to say the least

Guest A.Hughes

I dont think it is intended to be disconcerting to new users, these problems exist and are a shared view of many of the members of this forum who have this particular problem with the E200. I personally wouldnt be on this site to promote orange, i'm hear to learn, enjoy and share my experiences of my current duff phone with other like minded people.

You make your own informed decisions, if orange say that this phone is great then so be it, what you read on this thread and many others are shared views of the smartphones community we all try to look out for each other,,,,not for ORA,,unless they want to become our friends again and look after us like we all look out for each other on MoDaCo...........

Guest RussellH

Hi Dr Blow. Most of the BBC local stations have their own consumer programme, so I'd recommend contacting the nearest to you. I'm sure they'd be interested, as the product genuinely does not deliver what's stated in it's advertising material. Typical sort of thing they like to get their teeth into. Let me know where abouts you are, and I'll happily find out who you should speak to at your local station. Best wishes.

I've just read this thread with keen interest and enthusiasm. Suddenly i'm filled with delight in knowing i'm not alone in my situation. Which some may consider a little wrong to find pleasure in so much pain... but anyway, I digress.

In brief, I upgraded my SPV to an E200 on 1st Feb 2004. Within 5 days, I phoned Orange for a replacement because my conversations on the phone were hindered by a persistant buzzing noise, which became unbearable after about a minute.

They promptly sent me a new phone, which was afflicted with the same problem. After another conversation with orange.. they decided in their infinite wisdom, that sending me another replacement probably wasn't the best tactical move, and they simply said "We don't know".

I'm sure you can understand my ensuing rage from then :evil: , considering I just forked out good money for a phone that doesn't work as it should, and Orange won't/can't do anything about it! I've not seen this in any other industry.

A supplier with a good reputation holding their hands up and saying "We don't know what the problem is, and whats more, we're not going to do anything about it because you SPV consumers are a minority."

I will back you guys up in whatever capacity I can to get Orange to compensate for these issues. I don't have much of a voice, but as you can see, I can waffle and whinge for England!

Regards

Mort (another disgruntled E200 consumer)

Guest phildrudge

right. Thisprobably isnt the right time to be writing this because i am absolutely fuming after a call to CS. Conversation went something like....

me - Hi I have a problem with my handset and i'd like to look into exchanging it with an equivalent model please.

'cheri' from CS - ok no problem - name and password please

'cheri' from CS - right what is the problem

me - well the handset buzzes uncontrollably and the battery only last about 6 hours. This is the third handset i have had and they all ha the exact same problem!

'cheri' from CS - sorry sir, according to our system we can't send out a replacement because it wont solve that problem

me - really? are you saying that all the e200s will have the exact same problem?

'cheri' from CS - i'm afraid so yes.

me - blimey thats quite major isnt it, you are selling a phone that is virtually unusable as a phone!

'cheri' from CS - well you are using it arent you? it must be useable

me - well yes but ia m having to strain so much to understand what you are saying i have a headache already!!

'cheri' from CS - sorry sir there is nothing we can do

me - ok then how about an equivalent handset. something like a p900

'cheri' from CS - well it would cost you a lot to upgrade as you havent had the phone long

me - i dont want an upgrade, i want a replacement.

'cheri' from CS - sorry sir we cant do that

me- can i speak to your supervisor?

'cheri' from CS - sorry sir they are all in training

raaaaaaahhhhh ](*,)

me- ok let me get this right, my phone is virtually unuseable, you wont replace it because all the handsets you send out are defective, you wont exchange it for a different model because i am in a contract, i cant speak to your supervisor, you are no use at all realy are you!

'cheri' from CS - well there is no need for that tone of voice sir

me - i think there is every need for that tone of voice. I know of probably 60 - 100 people with the same phone, all with the same problem, who would be quite prepared to stand with me and go to trading standards, consumer watchdog and everybody else who will listen. This situation is absolutely apalling. I cant believe i'm having ths conversation!

'cheri' from CS - well thats purely up to you sir

me- f***ing useless

'cheri' from CS - 'click'

rararararaaaaaaaaaagh

i think there is steam coming out of my ears!!!! so they have just admitted that every phone they have buzzes, the battery is shite and all of the other problems are not isolated incidents! and they are saying they arent going to do a thing about it!! jeeeeeez how bad is that!!is this not the point when companies say ' hang on we're going to have mutiny on us here - lets recall the phones and sort this thing out!' or alternatively just say 'yeah we know its crap isnt it! tough! live with it'

Guest phildrudge

please please please, IMHO anyone who is thiking of getting one of these phones.... my advice is DONT!!!! you will get trodden all over!!!

Guest A.Hughes

Phildrudge,,,,,,,,,,,,i have some,,,know i have a lot of sympathy, youve read the thread, there are opportunities for you like the rest to be rid of this, well, quite frankly joke of a situation..........we all a on sinking ship m8, and as orange are the life jackets, were all doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest JampoTT

I've a foot in both camps here....

Firstly, for speech, my phone seems fine. I'm on my 3rd E200 now, and I've never noticed a buzzing noise. Maybe thats just me!!!

However, the major issues for me are the poor BT support, the very bad battery life, the fact that none of my SPV USB / Car chargers will power it, and the fact that my car manufacturer won't make a car cradle for it (!)

The BT support is partly solved (for me) - I have managed to connect it to my Ipaq as a GPRS modem - and apart from having to paste in a dial string when I want to connect, its almost infallible. So I'm happy with that. I wish I could say the same about the BT Voice implementation. Its useless with my Jabra :)

Battery life is shocking, and compounded by the fact that none of my SPV car / USB chargers work. Everytime I buy a new (and supposed E200 compatible one) I'm sent another SPV one. I'm sick of sending them back now!!!

But despite all of this.....? I love the phone. I'd swap it for a candybar Motorola running 2003 with a camera and BT, but there is NOTHING ELSE on the market right now that I'd swap it for.....

But Orange / HTC / Microsoft need their heads banging together :D

Guest Polly2Carpets

Welcome to the club, phildrudge!

Unfortunately, "aaarrrgghhh" ](*,) comes with the e200 in the box as part of the upgrade "deal"!

Obviously it's your choice, but we are taking what seems to be the only option left to us (apart from buckling and putting up with severely limited equipment) and that's to formally complain. Another voice will do the cause absolutely no harm :wink:

It'd be nice if Orange would even extend the courtesy of a proper reply, out of respect for its customers if nothing else, but alas it seems like they are all too willing to allow their customers to sit boiling whilst they merrily collects awards for best network.

Orange must have had a typo in the Customer Relations handbook they had printed. It's supposed to be "The customer is always right", guys, not "The customer can go and sh!te".

Guest hadies

Lo all again !

phildrudge send me a PM if you would like a number for orange that will get you sorted out with another phone it's a direct line to the CE's office and they are very good at getting things sorted !

Guest phildrudge

well i've lost the plot now all together. It would seem that orange are now admitting that the buzzing and battery life are 'known issues' with the e200 and as such are no longer repairing/replacing them. Which brings me to the slightly irate conversation this afternoon... I tried again, and got through to 'Mark' who was actually very helpful. still the same result though, but basically he said they wont replace it with another model until you have returned it 3 times or more, but because it is a known issue they wont generate a fault code for it and so you cant return it. hmmm, so you know it has a fault, but you are refusing to do anything about it. "yes sir". :evil:

So, while steaming, i got hold of the orange shop where i bought it from and shouted at them for a while. The bloke was ok actually, and we sorted it in the end. Basically i said the keys had packed up just to generate some sort of a fault code, so they would take it back in. Once they had done that i could cancel the upgrade because it was faulty within the first 28 days. :roll:

so now, i have no phone. Cirtainly not getting another e200!!! looking at a xda2 though they look fairly funky.... anyone know if thay have similar issues?

Guest Polly2Carpets

I have some more information for you all. Don't ask where or who I got it from, 'cos if I told you I'd have to kill myself...or something like that.

I have discovered that despite Orange telling me that they know of NO ROM updates and that any update would be from Microsoft and not from them that there in fact IS a ROM update from Orange :shock: and it may well be surfacing at the end of the month. :^o "Hurrah!!" you may well say (and I smiled wide when I heard), but, unfortunately, it does NOT address the lack of a handsfree profile :) >. The reason for Orange omitting this in the update is because they attribute it to being an operating system issue and is therefore outside their scope. . I believe, though, that Microsoft have been made aware of the shortfall (by Orange) and they have been told they need to get it sorted (by Orange) and subsequntly they (Microsoft) are currently working on a fix. I have also had it confirmed that the upcoming ROM includes updates for BT, Battery life, speak quality - both incoming and outgoing - and that there are "great improvements that "make the phone nice to use"". I have no more than that, unfortunately....I'll post anything else I can manage to find out.

I have also been trolling the net in the hope that someone, anyone, has been busily manufacturing accessories for our beloved handsets. I came across http://www.mobilefun.co.uk who are selling various items and saying they are comatible with the e200. Amongst the list is the Nokia CK-1W car kit I bought - which clearly does NOT work - and so I have emailed them forewarning them that at very least they can spare themselves of the inevitable torrent of customer complaints they'll inevitably receive if they continue to market and sell these items as compatible.

Has anyone heard anything back from Watchdog yet?

Guest jonnie_r

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering with this "lovely" phone. I don't even use the phone during the day, with screensaver on (so screen is blank) and bluetooth is switched off and it lasts about 6 hours!! Nokia 7650 with bluetooth on lasted over 3 days. Battery life isn't a problem I thought as I'll use a car charger. Told by person in Orange shop that a adaptor to use standard nokia chargers was in the box!!!! Erm I can't find it - the only adaptor was for the power adaptor to the phone!! I'm writing to Watchdog as we speak.......

Disgruntled SPV Owner

Guest A.Hughes

with watchdog they wait for quite a few similar complaints/issues to hit before they start to investigate, i think what normally happens is that they check with company (in this case orange) to see whether they are aware of and are trying to deal with the issues, they do this to make sure that there is no malicious campaign being brought to their attention that does not have justification.

So the more this issue pops up on their researchers email inbox, then the better the chance of something happening.

We keep hearing end of March for this elusive update, then again we keep hearing of sightings of Elvis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Polly2Carpets
We keep hearing end of March for this elusive update, then again we keep hearing of sightings of Elvis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree totally. There are ways of doing things and Orange, for me, aren't playing the game.

If only they'd treat their customers with some respect and give us the information we're asking for, instead of ignoring the issues. Maybe behind the scenes they're pulling out the stops for us but I genuinely don't feel like they are and until they show me otherwise I am completely comfortable about raising the issue with anyone I feel can help the cause.

Guest cjmillsnun
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one suffering with this "lovely" phone. I don't even use the phone during the day, with screensaver on (so screen is blank) and bluetooth is switched off and it lasts about 6 hours!! Nokia 7650 with bluetooth on lasted over 3 days. Battery life isn't a problem I thought as I'll use a car charger. Told by person in Orange shop that a adaptor to use standard nokia chargers was in the box!!!! Erm I can't find it - the only adaptor was for the power adaptor to the phone!! I'm writing to Watchdog as we speak.......

Disgruntled SPV Owner

Well personally I have no issue wth Orange regarding my e200.

Battery life is 2 days (with SD card IN).

I don't get any buzzing or poor quality service.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but compared to my last mobile company (3) you have nothing to worry about with Orange.

Guest lowbug
Well personally I have no issue wth Orange regarding my e200.

Battery life is 2 days (with SD card IN).

I don't get any buzzing or poor quality service.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but compared to my last mobile company (3) you have nothing to worry about with Orange.

You have switched it on :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest mt01631

Got to agree with cjmillsnun

I was with 3 before and although I (paper bag over head) liked the A835 the customer service was dire, in fact the worst I have ever encountered.

To date the 200 fulfills my needs and it replaced my last phone and hp5550 as I was fed up carrying the 2 about, if you think the battery life on a 200 is bad you should try the hp5550, switch the bluetooth on or wireless and the thing was dead in a couple of hours!!

Sympathys to all with problems and maybe I've just be lucky here but you guys are sure going the right way about getting things sorted, sure we will all benefit from this at the end of the day.

Mark

Guest lukeyboy

Just upgraded out of curiosity to the E200. Last day to send it back within the 7 days was today and a quick call to orange was in order. Jiffy bag coming tomorrow. Call quality wasn't that bad other than on the automated voices - damn that vibration (or buzzing as it has been called) is annoying. Battery life - yup that sucks. Don't use bluetooth for anything other than bluejacking, and I noticed that its range wasn't as long as my mates sony. Didn't like the joystick either - not just cause it was four way, but the clicky action thing was rubbish. Sorry you guys acted as a beta tester, but then I had that with the original spv. Now if anyone can tell me where to get jawbreaker for the spv from I'll be a very happy bunny :)