Caller ID Fix for I600

Guest rips420

Best part is that it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but... Apparently the "fix" was to disable Contacts lookup. So while the number comes up on the external LCD immediately, the contact name never does. Since I had only 200 contacts and usually got the name after 2 rings, this "fix" isn't exactly a good thing. And there's no way to go back.

Guest jrowlings

It says the Caller ID patch needs to be installed before the HKCR patch. What do those of us who downloaded and installed the unofficially released HKCR patch do?

Guest The PocketTV Team
It says the Caller ID patch needs to be installed before the HKCR patch.  What do those of us who downloaded and installed the unofficially released HKCR patch do?

Just install Caller ID patch if you have already installed the (unofficial) HKCR patch. It will work.

BTW, the unofficial HKCR patch is the same as the official one, so you don't need to re-install the official HKCR patch if you installed the unofficial one already.

The HKCR patch only unlocks a part of the registry that was incorrectly locked, so it will not prevent you to install the Caller ID patch.

They probably give this recommendation (that Caller ID patch needs to be installed before the HKCR patch) based the installation scenario that they have tested, that's all. Just ignore that.

To be on the safe side, you can re-install the official HKCR patch after installing the caller ID patch.

Guest GammaRay

This Caller ID patch is a big step in right direction, despite the external LCD being effectively disabled from displaying the contact name.

I hope it is an interim solution, and that Samsung follows through with a subsequent patch that supports the name display in the LCD. After all, one of the first features listed on the I-600 product page is "External LCD lets you check caller ID without opening the phone." Of course, even with this patch, that statement remains a false claim, unless it is presumed that one can memorize hundreds or thousands of phone numbers.

I had heard, from a reliable source within Verizon, that there were going to be two separate upgrades. The first is this patch. The second is to be a free upgrade to the 2003 OS, later this spring. Let's keep our fingers crossed on that one.

Oh well, at least for now, I'm happy I can open my phone and see who is calling before they go to my voicemail.

Guest The PocketTV Team
This Caller ID patch is a big step in right direction, despite the external LCD being effectively disabled from displaying the contact name.  

I hope it is an interim solution, and that Samsung follows through with a subsequent patch that supports the name display in the LCD.  After all, one of the first features listed on the I-600 product page is "External LCD lets you check caller ID without opening the phone."  Of course, even with this patch, that statement remains a false claim, unless it is presumed that one can memorize hundreds or thousands of phone numbers.

I had heard, from a reliable source within Verizon, that there were going to be two separate upgrades.  The first is this patch.  The second is to be a free upgrade to the 2003 OS, later this spring.  Let's keep our fingers crossed on that one.

Oh well, at least for now, I'm happy I can open my phone and see who is calling before they go to my voicemail.

The problem is that in order to know the caller's name, a program must run on the device to look in the database. But when the i600 is flipped-closed, all programs are suspended, and the external display is driven by the phone driver, ans it does not involve the Smartphone OS.

So showing the name of the caller on the external screen would involve significant redesign, and i don't think you can do it with the current hardware.

Guest awesterink

Mark, you'll find a link to the HKCR fix a few threads down. It is apparently the very same file that Samsung intends to release. I installed it without a hitch, and it does the trick.

Guest awesterink

I have a problem installing the CallerID.xdp file, as it seems my file association for the .xdp extension got messed up. My .xdp extension refers to the filetype "XDPfile". Could someone verify the content of that key? I have the following:

HKCRXDPfile

Value: Default (REG_SZ: ROM Update file)

Value: EditFlags (REG_DWORD: 65536)

Value: SaveOnLocalFS (REG_DWORD: 65536)

Key: DefaultIcon:

- Value: Default (REG_SZ: WindowsUpdateXIP.exe,-110)

Seems like I might be missing a key ShellOpenCommand ?

I have a problem installing the CallerID.xdp file, as it seems my file association for the .xdp extension got messed up. My .xdp extension refers to the filetype "XDPfile". Could someone verify the content of that key? I have the following:

HKCRXDPfile

Value: Default (REG_SZ: ROM Update file)

Value: EditFlags (REG_DWORD: 65536)

Value: SaveOnLocalFS (REG_DWORD: 65536)

Key: DefaultIcon:  

- Value: Default (REG_SZ: WindowsUpdateXIP.exe,-110)

Seems like I might be missing a key ShellOpenCommand ?

I will look for you but can you tell me were to look in the registry?

I am not an expert in this area

:oops:

Guest awesterink

Mark,

I have about the patience of a 3-year old :), so I decided to hard-reset the phone. Now it installs just fine. I'll use the backup software to restore all my settings. Thanks for the offer to check it out...

[EDIT] Slight qualification of "installs just fine". It installed, rebooted the phone, and froze on the SP2002 screen. So I did another hard-reset...still freezes on SP2002 screen. Hmmmmmm. I have had this happen once before though. I'll leave the battery off for 30 minutes and try again.

This phone sure is "sensitive".

The problem is that in order to know the caller's name, a program must run on the device to look in the database.  But when the i600 is flipped-closed, all programs are suspended, and the external display is driven by the phone driver, ans it does not involve the Smartphone OS.

So showing the name of the caller on the external screen would involve significant redesign, and i don't think you can do it with the current hardware.

Actually, the OS comes out of suspend immediately when an incoming call is detected even with the flip closed and stays active for about 20 seconds after the flip is closed again.

Guest Jerry Raia

I have about 90 contacts and have always been able to read the name on the outside display and of course the inside. Is there an exact # of contacts where this fails to work?

Guest GammaRay
I have about 90 contacts and have always been able to read the name on the outside display and of course the inside. Is there an exact # of contacts where this fails to work?

No, unfortunately, there is no exact number. However, it appears the approximate number would be somewhere well in excess of 200 contacts, and that's assuming you have multiple numbers stored for each contact. If I were in your shoes, I would not install the update, as it will end your current ability to see your caller's name on the external LCD.

I'm not sure you would be able to do it anyway, since Samsung has evidently pulled the page. What's that about?

Guest jrowlings

This should come as a big surprise...

The page was pulled earlier this afternoon.

This, from another forum, is Samsung's explanation...

"We were made aware of the erroneous release of this information. This was not to be posted for general use and therefore has been pulled. We are sorry for the confusion this may have caused and if the item has been downloaded we caution you to delete the file as it may cause damage to your phone. This information is not ready for release and should never have been posted. The information, as stated previously, was posted in error. We are sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this erroneous posting may have caused."

Then, also from the other forum, another thread appears...

"Phone Error Fatal

Error

dog.c 695 Watchdog timeout, monitor 200007c, mask 21f43dff

i installed the caller id patch today."

I know there are rules here about referencing other forums, but I tried to balance that against warning folks to maybe sit tight on this for a bit.

I loaded the patch and, so far, have had no problems.

Guest The PocketTV Team

> Actually, the OS comes out of suspend immediately when an incoming call is detected even with the flip closed

Ok, so they may be able to display the Caller ID on the external display.

But the external is not driven directly by the Microsoft OS, but rather it is driven by the phone radio driver. So it will be not that simple for the OS to display the Caller ID name on the outside display.

> and stays active for about 20 seconds after the flip is closed again.

On the i600 running SP2002 that we have tested, we observed that the OS goes to sleep immediately when the phone was flipped closed. But it may be different on the Smartphone 2003 OS.

Guest The PocketTV Team
You want a patch Samsung says might cause damage to the phone to be posted? (or am I just being dense and you're kidding)

The HKCR fix has never caused any problem on any i600, as far as we know.

And it is still available from:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=104234

and

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...p=370391#370391

They might refering to another one of the patch that they posted on their page (e.g. the Caller ID patch). Or it may just be an excuse from Samsung. Samsung customer support is probably reluctent to support people who make mistakes when patching their i600 (e.g. like turning off the phone while the patch is installing).

Guest tcwatkins
Hi,

Just tried to get the updates and the link sends you to a page that says unauthorized.

Anybody got both files?  Caller ID and Registry fix?

The post two postsup from The PocketTV Team has the links. Btw, Thanks to The PicketTV Team for keeping us informed.

Guest RedComrade
Actually, the OS comes out of suspend immediately when an incoming call is detected even with the flip closed and stays active for about 20 seconds after the flip is closed again.

one interesting thing i noticed is: the phone will never go back to suspend after the flip is closed if you have a headset connected. you can verify it by connecting the phone with activesync -- you will hear the disconnect ding after this 20 second timeout if you dont plug in the headset. but with the headset the active sync will always stay connected. is my observation correct?

Guest The PocketTV Team

one interesting thing i noticed is: the phone will never go back to suspend after the flip is closed if you have a headset connected. you can verify it by connecting the phone with activesync -- you will hear the disconnect ding after this 20 second timeout if you dont plug in the headset. but with the headset the active sync will always stay connected. is my observation correct?

That is correct.

When the headset is plugged, closing the i600 does not suspend the OS immediately. This is to allow listening to music while the phone is closed.