XPHONE?

Guest mikey2003

Guest mikey2003

Does anyone here have actual experience of the Xphone? Is it plagued with the faults of the e200?

In other words, is it worth waiting for O2 to get their act together (anyone have any idea of possible launch date or have experience of O2's GPRS service?), or should I just wait for the MPX220 (it can't really be as ugly as it looks) to upgrade my trusty SPV?

I have the Xphone. :) No buzzing. :D :D So-so battery life. Doesn't hang too much. Only one or two minor annoyances so far......lost my favourite home page setting and sometimes lose the home page altogether (but simple to reinstall.......just choose from the settings menu). Call quality is great. Menus are responsinve and fast. T9 is good + a counter. GPRS is sweet. Screen is beautiful. Can't find Chinese language support, even though it's advertised on the bloody box! I have another slight problem with active sync, but i put it down to my stupidity and a very old PC. Hit me with any questions you have.....I'll do my best to answer.

Guest ukim6600
I have the Xphone.   :D  No buzzing.   :D  :D   So-so battery life.  Doesn't hang too much.  Only one or two minor annoyances so far......lost my favourite home page setting and sometimes lose the home page altogether (but simple to reinstall.......just choose from the settings menu).  Call quality is great.  Menus are responsinve and fast.  T9 is good + a counter.  GPRS is sweet.  Screen is beautiful.  Can't find Chinese language support, even though it's advertised on the bloody box!   I have another slight problem with active sync, but i put it down to my stupidity and a very old PC.  Hit me with any questions you have.....I'll do my best to answer.

Hi! :D

May I ask u some questions?

1. How long did u charge ur 1st Xphone?

2. How long do you re-charge the phone?

3. When U charge the phone, what your phone conditions (on/off)?

Just all. Thx before. Nice to meet you. :)

Guest ipv6ready

Definitely better.

I had a developer version e200 now with xphone.

What a relief!!!

I am sure this is the same phone physically.

I get at least 2 days with about 3 hours use (pda functions) plus about 1 hour of talk time. Before i have to charge (due to my paranoia)

Anecdotal but it is for some reason a lot faster opening menus and turning on and opening contacts.

In regards to Buzzing - did not have this problem with either one.

(I use this phone in Australia)

Same half implemented Bluetooth stack!

As a developer it must be with the app lock mechanism slowing the whole system.

ukim6600 said:

Hi!  

May I ask u some questions?  

1. How long did u charge ur 1st Xphone?  

2. How long do you re-charge the phone?  

3. When U charge the phone, what your phone conditions (on/off)?  

Just all. Thx before. Nice to meet you.

Hi ukim6600,

Nice to meet you too! Well, this is my 'first' xphone....and my first smartphone. The first charge was about 7 hours. There was no charging light and no green light to indicate fully charged, but there were four bars in the morning (the phone was switched on all night). Since then, I charge it overnight (6-8 hours) every night. It now shows the charging light and the green fully charged light. I only over switch it off if it hangs.....not often so far.

ipv6ready, my doesn't last a day under heavy usage, esp gprs, but yesterday I hardly surfed at all and not too heavy on the voice usage and I still had two bars. I took out the fake memory card from the slot, but I don't know if it makes a real difference....I haven't really experimented. As for speed.....using my old T68 Erix again seems positively pedestrian! :)

Cheers!

Now here's a thing......I have this nagging feeling that my xphone can't keep time!! :) I've had to adjust the clock twice this week. It seems to be drifting out (slow) by about ten minutes every three days. Anyone else have this problem?

Another thing, I want to contact customer services.....either Starhub or xphone directly......believe me, a very frustrating experience. (I bought the non-SIM-locked handset and took it overseas, so no short code to the operator). Neither website has a phone number, for either the stores or a central helpline, and only an e-mail form......which doesn't work!!!! :evil: It's a conspiracy!!

Guest ipv6ready

this could be one of two thing with the clock.

either you have the phone - syncing time with the computer everytime you sync and your computer time is wrong?

your xphone need fixing.

No I don't use GPRS.

In Australia it is 10cents per 10Kilobytes!!!!! that is one pound for every 240Kbytes!!!!!!!

Guest ipv6ready

O2 -> got the phones after 90% of bugs were dealt with I feel.( no proof)

PS could the buzzing be due to the GSM network equipment.

I was very worried that my e200 would buzz because it was one with a batch number that buzzed according to this forum!

If so Orange might have to upgrade the GSM network to fix the buzzing !!!!!

I've just got the Xphone recently. Certainly seems better compared to all the problematic E200 posts that I see on here...

I feel the voice quality is poor though. No buzzing, but the quality just isn't up to par with other handsets that I've had. I also have a Siemens SX1 and that has excellent audio, but strangely, the Xphone sounds better than playing MP3 through the earpiece.

I've been having this problem where the phone locks up at the homescreen once in a while. It's still on the network as other people can still call me, but the phone doesn't respond. I searched here but it seems to affect only the original SPV...

Oh, I notice to perform a hard reset on my Xphone I had to remove the SIM. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and I tried performing the hard reset about two million times until I thought to remove the SIM. :idea:

Thanks for the tip IPV6ready......I haven't synced for a few days and the time is still right.....doh! :oops:

FRiC, I too have had some small probs with hanging on the homescreen. Kind of like it's run out of memory to change the settings.

I find the sound quality much better than my old Erix for voice calls, although I was a little disappointed about the sound quality when listeing to Internet radio (ha ha ha, a first time for me though, so I shouldn't be bitchin!) :)

The video was pretty much on a par with my mate's P900, so I was quite pleased about that. And the built in caller-id photo software is wicked!

Guest ex_zero

hmmm, yanno what, I only charged one of my batteries for about 3 hours the first time I used it. It said on the quick start guide that you could start using the phone after chargine it for 1 hour. I found that it was on the amber light for an hour, then it was on green, not sure for how long, then I waited till the green light went off, and I took it off the charger and started using it... I've only had it for 2 days now, and I've mostly kept it on the charger, but within the next week, I'll be at uni and work. Will only charging it for 3 hours affect how long the phone will stay on for? It didn't say anywhere how long I should actually charge the phone for, except for that quick start guide. i'm a bit worried now, that my battery could not be up to it's best.

I am having a battery horror. :)

Plugged in overnight, but the homescreen registered a flat battery when unplugged, rang some alarm bells and powered down. Subsequent plugging in to the charger activates the amber charging light, but the battery does not appear to be charging at all. The phone is currently only usable while attached to the charger......great!

Any suggestions from the great minds out there would be greatly appreciated...........

Guest ipv6ready

Something I noticed on a recent test on HTC phones for our company.

the phone is dropped (on concrete) from 5 meters and the battery tends to go bad???? can not keep charge. Maybe something is breaking in the battery PCB?

We have asked HTC and there are looking into it. I guess when you want to order 800 for employees they tend to listen.

I will keep you posted.

PS the test is to pass military general use QA applications.

I certainly didn't drop it from 5 metres, but am now tempted to fling it from my 5th floor office window......it can only be used with a power cord! :evil:

I cannot get another battery (unless there's some good samaritan from HTC reading this that can help me swap mine??). No service or repair centers in Taiwan :)

I've got to admit that the O2 helpline was as helpful as it could be. One possible solution mooted was a hard reset, but then I'd lose all the O2 settings and there's no patch to restore them yet.

Guest pipiballs
I certainly didn't drop it from 5 metres, but am now tempted to fling it from my 5th floor office window......it can only be used with a power cord!   :evil:  

I cannot get another battery (unless there's some good samaritan from HTC reading this that can help me swap mine??).  No service or repair centers in Taiwan  :)  

I've got to admit that the O2 helpline was as helpful as it could be.  One possible solution mooted was a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset, but then I'd lose all the O2 settings and there's no patch to restore them yet.

Isnt this phone made in Taiwan? How come there isnt technical support for Xphone over in Taiwan? :roll:

ehm yeah, they're made here. But they are not sold here and there's no O2 here. Funny old world! :?

Maybe I can find an obliging HTC employee.......or maybe I have to wait until I next go to Singapore.........either way, I am going to miss the fun I was having with the phone

Guest pipiballs
ehm yeah, they're made here.  But they are not sold here and there's no O2 here.  Funny old world!   :?  

Maybe I can find an obliging HTC employee.......or maybe I have to wait until I next go to Singapore.........either way, I am going to miss the fun I was having with the phone

If u need help to buy, let me know. Prices is about SGD $790. Comes with 2nd battery. How about u approaching the company to buy directly?

pipiballs said:

If u need help to buy, let me know. Prices is about SGD $790. Comes with 2nd battery. How about u approaching the company to buy directly?

I have an xphone already, pipiballs, but the battery has died..... :D , but thanks for the offer! I only got one battery, but I hear there's an offer running until the 18th that gives you a free one......highly recommended!!!! :)

Regarding doing hard reset on Xphone. If you back up all the files in your phone, you can restore the MMS settings. The O2 scrolling icon home screen plug-in probably needs a registry entry. You don't lose T9...

@dog

How come you have an Xphone in Taiwan? Why not Mio 8390?

Guest pipiballs

I have an xphone already, pipiballs, but the battery has died..... :D , but thanks for the offer! I only got one battery, but I hear there's an offer running until the 18th that gives you a free one......highly recommended!!!! :)

yea... the battery cost $58 if u buy it separate.

i performed a hard reset on my xphone cos of sms issues, i seemed to have added alot of words into the t9, which annoys me when it keeps popping out. the phone firmware does not support 512 sd, which sucks. have to wait for an update, and somehow i cant seem to keep the back light on while watching videos. overall the phone is professional looking, comes with a free batt too which i just collected, but its really huge compared with my friends mpx200. if only it came out in singapore a few weeks ago i would have gotten that. funny thing is that its running windows 2002, and the firmware supports my 512 sd. also i heard that there is an OS upgrade for the mpx200, meaning its almost the same as the xphone! sad thing is that the mpx200 dont have bluetooth, and O2 sounds nicer.