E200 update on the way...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

MSMobiles is quoting a post on PocketPC.ch with regards to an E200 update that is under development...

They write...

The new ROM, apart from significantly longer battery life, brings many more improvements:

* version numbers (old values in brackets): operator 2.6.5.1 (1.1.1.4), manufacturer 1.11.5.0 (1.6.0.0), Microsoft 4.20.13288.0 (4.20.13288.0 - no change), language 1.11.5.0 (1.6.0.0 ).

* without phone calls battery life is now 3-4 days (compared to max 1 day previously)

* improved Bluetooth driver - now it is possible to connever over Bluetooth with Pocket PC 2003 devices

* activation of serial ports for Bletooth (inbound and outbound ports) works fine - important for using of GPS receivers with the smartphone

* new radio version 1.12.01 (compared to 1.09.00 previously)

* Bluetooth programs in menu now got typical Bluetooth icon

* when one presses "*" longer then one can select language in which to write emails, SMSes and other texts in 7 languages - very useful in Europe - so one can write one SMS in German and the next one in French (using T9)

I am pleased to say that I have been able to test the UK version of this update, and the improvements are indeed significant.

It should be noted that the update is still in beta, so it is possible further changes will be made, and the release date is TBD.

The new numbering scheme is a sensible move - initiated by Orange - that allows consumers to more easily distinguish between end user updates for SPV/E100, E200 and M1000 (HTC Wallaby aka XDA2) devices.

Significant advances have been made in audio quality (aka the 'buzzing' problem), and the audio is now comparable to other handsets.

The SD card and IA Caller ID issues are no more - and there are major improvements in the battery life - and I am very pleased to report that I achieved a battery life of a full 48 hours with heavy email usage - a vast improvement when compared to the original build!

The Bluetooth serial port support is indeed excellent, and I can confirm that I have successfully hooked my E200 up to my Bluetooth GPS! In addition, the problem whereby BT headsets and Car Kits were not always indicating incoming calls correctly is resolved.

The T9 engine is updated, and although not flawless on the beta update, shows potential!

Stay tuned for more info in the near future... :)

P

Guest shadamehr

Anything in the way of BT file sending in the OS itself? I read something along those lines in realtion to the foreign beta...

But the battery life - thats the key for me!

Guest londonlad

is the bt on par with other nokia and sonyeric phones, send pics etc, simple easy to connect, and has it got any new profiles? Handsfree profile??? ahhh, the envy of not havin an mpx220 is residing, ahhh.

oh yeah, any news on the joystick ? or is it def a hardware problem

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest nedge2k

Well it seems the most obvious questions have been asked so all i can say is: SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!! :)

Although, if you've been able to test it for 48hrs, it begs the question:

Why are we only finding out about it now :?:

I know a couple of days doesn't make much difference but still..... :wink:

Guest SpikeOT

Presumably this will be made available to existing E200 owners. I've had mine for about 48 hours now and I'm enjoying tweaking it.

If made available, how would users install it? Could it be flashed via a desktop PC, updated using Orange Update, or would it need to go into an Orange dealer?

Great site btw, has taught me loads in just hours...

Guest Mr_Protozoa

Great News!

Hopefully we'll actually get this update, unlike with the original SPV's 2nd update (1.5?)!

Since it's in testing it shouldn't be too long untill we get it, then I'll no longer be afriad to make calls on my phone incase I drain the battery before i get home!

Guest kalantz

Very good news!!!

BTW, is there any chance to be able to type Greek characters in messages etc.

Don't care about Greek menus, only typing!

Thanks

Costas

Greece

Guest A.Hughes

was just thinking about sending my E200 back to orange and telling them to stick it where the sun dont shine, but hey, if this update doesnt take a millenium to arrive,i suppose i can grin and bare it for a couple of days more!!!!!!!!! :)

Guest Dumdidum

they have listen to us betatesters but they do not solve all problems! actually all HTC-developers are on the E200-update thats why the other update for old SPVs is delayed!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest shadamehr

This could be great news... A ROM update to fix at least the main issues of BT and Battery (as I doubt the HUGE list of other stuff will see the light of day knowing Orange), followed by a SIM Unlock tool for ALL ROM versions.

Now that WOULD be great news :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.