orange uk have axed the mpx200 from there range!!

Guest thelagermonster

Guest ASAD ALI

Orange are not going to axe the mpx200. This is my first smartphone so im still finding my way around it, but its actually one of the best phones ive had. It has never locked up, ive got a 256MB card in it and on the lookout for software for it. So if anybody knows any good downloads then please let me know.

Asad

Guest thelagermonster

well iam happy that i have got rid of my mpx200 it was the worst mobile i have ever had i lost count how many hard reset i did on that damn thing, in the end the thing turned itself off and died, i know 3 other people who i talked into getting the mpx200 saying its great all there mobiles have packed up as well we are all now on the spv e200 now and problem free at last :-)

Guest Pondrew

Yes. As I remarked before. Seems the E200 and Mpx200 have rather swapped places in the stability/ownerbility ratings. :)

Although, even though I love my E200, I expect I'll be defecting to Motorola's MPX100 assuming it isn't too pricey...

Well. I have had my MPx for a month now and I had to do one hard reset. and since then the phone had been working almost perfect (like awarner said.. NO phone is problem free). only have a little problem left. but comparing it to my previous phone (T68) it's a dream come true.

I love my MPx200!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MPxMike

Hi folks

Well... Orange have done it again. :evil: Why is it that they give us all different answers? Maybe just timing. For what it's worth - here is todays line on the MPx200 replacement... (in brief :) )

I have been told today by 3 operators and 1 supervisor that Orange HAVE withdrawn the MPx200. Anyway...

Spoke to Orange this afternoon, was told that my MPx200 could only be replaced if I took out Orange (couldn't-)Care(-less) at a fiver a month. If I did that, I'd get a 6600 (no choice). Either that or go to Motorola direct as out of 28 days. This is legally inaccurate (if anyone needs the relevant legal links, I'll post them below)

This evening, a very helpful chap (MPx200 owner actually (knew they were all good guys)) said I could have either a Treo 600, N**** 6600 or N**** 7250i. As the Treo will at least take SD cards and comes with a data cable, thought that was a reasonable choice. Said I'd phone back to confirm.

Later this evening, I spoke to a guy who was ready to do the DMR then passed me to his supervisor who said I didn't meet the criteria for a Treo - it was a 6600 or nothing! I pointed out that apart from the fact that I have to write off 60 quids worth of software whichever phone I took from them, I'd need to fork out another 150 quid to replace the SD cards I have with MMC cards and buy a data cable if I took the 6600. The official line? "We dont cover accessories" and "Oftel say the 6600 is a like for like replacement for the MPx200".

Okay, so Oftel don't exist anymore (its duties have been passed to Ofcom) but there is no way that the 6600 is a more suitable replacement than the Treo - no data cable, takes MMC etc.

The guy I spoke to said if I wrote off my car with a stack of accessories in it I wouldn't get them replaced - I'd just get the base model and have to fork out for a new 12 disk changer myself!!!! (Should have made sure he doesn't use the same insurance company as me - his stinks! Will double-check my policy tomorrow :wink: )

Short moral of the story -

Orange have no idea as to our rights as consumers. Tried to tell the supervisor what the law says but he wouldn't listen and just kept on saying I needed to take that up with their legal department. Managed to get my point in anyway :twisted:

Orange policy is to REFUSE to tell us what the criteria are for getting anything other than a 6600 to replace an MPx200

The fact that we have a legal right to damages for consequential loss is lost on them

The fact that we have the legal right to cancel the contract is also lost on them - they say that we signed that away when we signed the contract - this is legally inaccurate

Can I strongly urge anyone that has had problems with this issue with Orange to write to Orange (address below) AND Ofcom (address also below) AND your local Trading Standards (see the phone book under your local council). If we ALL kick up a fuss and refuse to be pushed around something might get done about this.

I will be writing to them ALL post-haste. I am intending to take this all the way and will take then to court if necessary. If anyone who has suffered like this wants to join together to bring a class action, by all means get in touch with me.

All the best folks

Mike

Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994

DTI factsheet on The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002

Ofcom's website

Trading Standards Central Advice on buying a mobile phone

Orange UK

Correspondance Deaprtment

PO Box 10

Patchway

Bristol

BS12 4BR

Ofcom

Ofcom Contact Centre

Riverside House

2a Southwark Bridge Road

London

SE1 9HA

Sometime tomorrow I'll put a more detailed account of the legal inaccuracies on my website - I'll post the link here once I've done it.

Guest mcwarre

Cracking links. Many thanks. How long will it be after someone quotes these before O change their policy? About 5 mins me thinks............

Guest mcwarre

Cracking links. Many thanks.

How long will it be after someone quotes these before O change their policy? About 5 mins me thinks...........

Guest MPxMike

I only wish that were the case. I tried to quote these to Orange but the supervisor I spoke to told me that I had to write to their legal dept if I was going to quote the law!!!!

For the benefit of everyone who is interested, my letter to Orange, sent today by Recorded Delivery can be found on my website - address below. As well as relevant points of law, it contains a fuller description of my dealings with them yesterday by phone.

Mike

Orange letters and responses

Guest mike-oh

That letter is great! I'm dying to hear their response!!

It's about time someone set it out plain and simple to them. I was particularly interested to read about a fault developing within 6months being deemed present when purchased.

Have you considered involving BBCs Watchdog in this? That usualy sends the shivers down the spine of retailers.

Guest chucky.egg

Great letter! and I sympathise with your situation. Orange seem to have totally lost the plot when it comes to dealing with their customers now.

My SPV sits in a desk drawer, and the £100+ of software I purchased was wasted. I use a P900 now (still with Orange) and I don't want to get shafted if it develops a fault.

I'm not suffering the same problems (touch wood), but I don't want to find myself in the same position so I contacted Watchdog this morning, if you want to do the same you can follow this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/computers.shtml

I gave them links to various threads about the replacement phone issues and the E200 update.

Guest MPxMike

Thanks for the suggestion Mike and thanks to Chris for getting in touch with them. I have now also contacted Watchdog.

Perhaps a few others who have been affected by this would like to contact Watchdog at the link given in Chris' post.

Guest samandiain

Mathew seems to have the wrong idea with his car analagy.

if you crash the car and write it off - that's your fault - your insurance deals with it.

But you didn't crash, break or drop the phone did you? it was faulty. it should be replaced with an identical model by the company that supplied it to you.

If you buy a car and it develops a fault that cannot be repaired, do they offer an inferior model from another company as a replacement?

if they won't replace it, tell them you want to cancel your upgrade contract and move to a competent phone company!

Iain

Guest MPxMike

Hi Folks

Some possible good news. :)

I emailed the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Employment Relations, Competition and Consumers, Gerry Sutcliffe, MP, and received the following email from him this morning:

Dear Mike

Thank you for your email, as a DTI Minister I have asked my officials to look into your complaint, they should be contacting you direct.

Regards

Gerry

May get some action, but I guess it will take a while. Meantime, if you have a problem, try and hold out for updates.

PS

Moderators: Sorry for cross-posting but I felt this was an appropriate case. Feel free to delete one post if you deem it necessary.

Mike

Guest chucky.egg

Not a bad idea, but I doubt you'll get much help from people that high up.

What's the latest with Trading Standards? Are they following it up?

Guest MPxMike

I wasn't really looking for personal help from the DTI - I was thinking more of just getting Orange to treat all of it's customers fairly. No answer yet from my local Trading Standards but if I hear anything, I'll post word on here.

Mike

Guest smokedog

I sent my MPX200 for repair at CPW. Over 2 months later they sent me a replacement MPX200 that was unbranded and unlocked!

Still not happy with the MPX. I called up orange and told them it was freezing on start-up and they said they will replace it with the Nokia 6600 and I don't even have orange care... result :D

Posted from my new Nokia 6600!