O2 XPhone Question

Guest patag

Guest patag

This is a question for the people in the US trying to use the O2 XPhone.

What problems are you currently seeing with this phone? What does the process of getting it activated look like? Would you purchase another O2 XPhone?

Thanks!

Guest chazy2j

The Xphone is O2's equvilant to the Orange SPV E200. Now I know that the E200 is a great phone but the price of the network lets it down. O2 offer a fre GPRS so using the Xphone would work out cheaper than the SPV E200. However the Xphone retails at about £275 at the moment but the SPV E200 can be bought for about £100 cheaper, then if you get it unlocked you can have this great Orange phone with all the advantages of the O2 network.

Guest chazy2j

The Xphone is O2's equvilant to the Orange SPV E200. Now I know that the E200 is a great phone but the price of the network lets it down. O2 offer a fre GPRS so using the Xphone would work out cheaper than the SPV E200. However the Xphone retails at about £275 at the moment but the SPV E200 can be bought for about £100 cheaper, then if you get it unlocked you can have this great Orange phone with all the advantages of the O2 network.The Xphone is O2's equvilant to the Orange SPV E200. Now I know that the E200 is a great phone but the price of the network lets it down. O2 offer a free GPRS so using the Xphone which would work out cheaper than the SPV E200. However the Xphone retails at about £275 at the moment but the SPV E200 can be bought for about £100 cheaper, then if you get it unlocked you can have this great Orange phone with all the advantages of the O2 network.

Guest Kajjy

Provided you get a perfectly working Xphohe, I would say it's a great phone. Let me reiterate - it's a great phone! But

1) The battary life is very short - less than 1 day if you don't take out IA_Caller_ID from start up. Just under 1 day if you do. I use it to listern to music for about 1 hour each going to/from work with "normal" call usage. I occasionally use GPRS and Bluetooth though.

2) It's not compatible with all SD cards - you must try to read/write from the SD card before you buy it, else risk getting incompatible ones. I've posted about this elsewhere in the forum already.

3) Some people have experienced "Lock ups" Basically it just hangs and u gotta take out the battery. I haven't so I don't know the exact symtoms but I think FRiC may have identified the cause of this problem.

4) I have experiences occasional signal loss. Everything will work fine when this happens - except the phone. Can't make calls, can't receive calls, it's just like my phone's been tunred off. Right now, I make a call to my house every hour to make sure I've still got signal - O2 says they will replace it for me but they've yet to let me know exactly when.

Some of the issues, like the battery life, will supposedly be fixed in the ROM update - Orange (France) has already release the update for the SPV E200 so it shouldn't be long before we get one for the Xphone.

Provided you don't encounter any of the 4 problems above - it's a great phone.

Guest djdurance

As well, be ware that some of them do not have T9. You must check this before you buy. My understanding was that the battery life was better than the E200?

Guest creature777
...The battary life is very short - less than 1 day if you don't take out IA_Caller_ID from start up.  Just under 1 day if you do.  I use it to listern to music for about 1 hour each going to/from work with "normal" call usage.  I occasionally use GPRS and Bluetooth though.

I see a lot of post regarding caller_id & battery life, is there any solid testing done to prove this?

Guest patag

I got my O2 Xphone now, and it might look like t9 isn't supported, but it is (even says so on the box). All you have to do is choose English when holding down the * key to switch between modes and it will show t9. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Another question: did anyone install the E200 patch on their Xphone?

Guest XPhoneGeek

Yes, I have installed it & it works just fine. Its a little different than the O2 but all in all a good upgrade. The jury is still out on the battery life though. I have not had any of the issues even Orange users are reporting, & with cleartype the text looks really good, not all blurry like some are reporting. I'm using TMobile US & I can't say that I notice any difference in call clarity, mines was good beforehand. The really nice thing about the Orange upgrade is if you hve to hard reset, you don't loose all the operator specific stuff, like you do with O2.

Guest XPhoneGeek

Yes, I have installed it & it works just fine. Its a little different than the O2 but all in all a good upgrade. The jury is still out on the battery life though. I have not had any of the issues even Orange users are reporting, & with cleartype the text looks really good, not all blurry like some are reporting. I'm using TMobile US & I can't say that I notice any difference in call clarity, mines was good beforehand. The really nice thing about the Orange upgrade is if you hve to hard reset, you don't loose all the operator specific stuff, like you do with O2.

Guest creature777

XPhoneGeek, does the upgrade change the 02 phone to a "Organe" phone? I mean, you phone now have the Orange logo, GPRS setting, etc?

Guest XPhoneGeek

Yes but you can save the logo stuff from storageapplication data before upgrading, & then reload them using a utility called smartweak. If you install the upgrade, you will have to application unlock the phone via the orange developer website. The only reference to Orange on my Xphone is when it first boots up, thereafter, everything appears as it did when I had the O2 rom installed.

Guest Kajjy

I see a lot of post regarding caller_id & battery life, is there any solid testing done to prove this?

I only have 1 Xphone so it's difficult for me to test this "solidly". It's very noticable to me though because I have HR'ed and forgot to take it (Caller_ID) out and I definitely noticed the different. One look at the battery bar reminded me that I'd forgotten to take it out.

Guest IronHide

XPhoneGeek,

In your opinion, do you think it's worth the trouble to install the Orange update on our XPhones or wait for 02 to publish their own update? I am skeptical of how long it will take 02 to actually rollout an update, but I don't have anything to really base that skepticism on.

Once the Orange update is installed, you said the phone becomes application locked, but does it also become SIM locked?

I have the Chinese version of the XPhone and would really like my bluetooth bonding menu to be in English, not Chinese!! :)

Thanks!

PS - I am also in the US, on Cingular's network.

Guest XPhoneGeek

IronHide

I personally intsalled the update for two major reasons:-

1. It promises improved battery life

2. The O2 english version of the Xphone is in reality a QTEK8080 base phone with some O2 programs loaded on top.

The O2 XDA has been available in Europe since September of last year & they have yet to publish an update for it, so I'm not expecting anything soon for the Xphone. As the Xphone market is purely aimed at Asia & Australia, the O2 specific configurations are irrelevent to me. As long as you save the Application Data folders you can reload the O2 gifs & phone bar via smartweak so although it is the Orange Rom, it looks & feels like the O2 Xphone.

Up to you as to whether you decide to do it, these are my own thoughts on doing it.

Guest ex_zero

Hi,

There's so many posts out there for the battery usage, that I don't even know where to post anymore, but this seems to be more related, as I have an Xphone. Even with the SD card out, and IACaller_ID deleted, the battery still goes down roughly 4-5% every hour, which is appalling compared to what is the 'claimed' standby time. This is without doing anything with the phone, as I am at work. Does everyone that has the standard Xphone get this much battery drain?

Guest IronHide

XPhoneGeek,

Thank you for the reply.

My remaining concern is whether or not the Orange update will SIM Lock the phone?

You said it will app lock the phone, but there is a method (via Orange's website) to unlock it, correct?

Thanks again!

Guest chanceu

To answer your question...no it will not SIM lock your phone if it is SIM unlocked to begin with. I upgraded my XPhone 2 days ago and it works fine. I did have to upgrade it from the Canary screen and it took a lot longer than the 5 minutes it said it would, but it worked. However, I have not been able to get it application unlocked, even from the Orange website. I tried two different times, one using the country code + 1 + area code + phone number and one using just 1 + area code + phone number. I have yet to receive the message saying the phone is unlocked.

Guest IronHide

chanceu,

Thank you! Excellent post, excellent info. Of course, now I have another question and please, excuse my missunderstanding, but what does "upgrade it from the Canary screen" mean?

I guess I'm still debating whether or not the upgrade is worth it, but it's good to know there won't be any sim problems.

Thanks again!

Guest chanceu

My XPhone had the original ROM in it (I have no idea what version). When I ran the Orange ROM upgrade utility while my phone was at the home screen, the utility said the ROM that was being loaded was incompatible with the ROM in the device. So, I tried to upgrade the ROM from the Canary screen. I have no idea why it's called that, but it is the multi-color boot loader screen. To get to it, power on the phone while holding the camera button (the button just below the power button). The only way out of this screen (that I've found) is to remove the battery.

Please take this for what it is...this worked for me and I have not had any problems with the phone since. I make no guarantee that this will not screw something up. I made the decision to attempt the upgrade for two reasons. 1...I couldn't setup anything Bluetooth because the screens were in Chinese. 2...I read at least 10-15 instances of people performing the upgrade successfully on phones that were not sold from Orange (including XPhones).

There were people that had problems, but in the end worked them out. Most of the problems had to do with the load failing, but after removing the battery for 30 seconds and powering the phone back on, the phone came back up to the Canary screen and they were able to start the upgrade over.

Hope this helps.

Guest IronHide

Yes, yes, yes! It does help as I too would like to resolve many of these issues, the most annoying being the Bluetooth bonding menu in Chinese. Thank you for such straight-forward and informative posts - they've answered my questions and probably those of many others as well!