Are you happy with the update??

Guest badboy4life

Guest badboy4life

There's been a mixed reaction to the update, so just wondering how many people are happy with the update?

I for one hate the update my battery life has more than halved and i can't read my custom font with ClearType!!!

Might be advisable to keep the bugs to the other threads and use this as a simple poll.

Guest spacecowboy6982

Hmm, Im a bit of both - battery has got worse however the call quality has improved. The main improvment I wanted to see was in battery - and it hasnt been sorted :?

Spacecowboy

Guest jason8

I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I've seen an increase in battery life..

post update, chatting to the girlfriend for over 2hrs on the bluetooth headset and the battery is still goin strong.

Before the battery used to just die.

Guest Bonzo

I guess a bit of both really... Battery life seems to have improved and call quality has improved but I hink maybe they went a little too overboard re-working the filters as it's really knocked the bottom end out of the phone, (noticable and maybe a little annoying when playing MP3s!)...

But the biggest whine for me has to be the whole SD card not being recognised and causing the phone to lock up when a prog needs to access it!!! :roll: I can see this being a REAL pain!!! But what I'd really like to know is why it only seems to be affecting a small number of handsets??? Undoubtedly O would blame it on the cards being used etc. and yeah that it may be but I'd like to see some real proof before I condemn my SanDisk 256 card!!! lol

Guest pantherboyuk

Well myself i'm happy with the update.

My battery life has improved sound quality is much better, cleartype is ok still getn used to that, overall better.

my only problem was it took 3 time for the update to work first 2 times the phone hung after update was complete.. :roll:

Guest biffsmash

I am certainly not happy with the update.

1. The phone still buzzes but is now too tinney(rather than bassy)

2. The mic is too quiet people find it difficult to hear me

3. The earpiece volume in calls is too quiet even on full

4. The cleartype is a little wierd and can't be turned off?

5. The phone seems to be slower than it was before, pausing for a few seconds before going into inbox for example

6. The T9 dictionary still forgets all the words I add to it whenever it wants to, without me even turning the phone off.

On a plus note , the battery life seems improved, after 12 hours standby it lost only 1 bar, so I guess thats 2 days standby by my terrible maths :)

Overall I feel cheated. All my problems from before are still there, with one or two new ones added to the list. The battery never really bothered me so that improvement is neither here nor there.

Roll on a smartphone that works :lol:

biffy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DeFacto

Well I got my phone a week before the update was released, so can't really comment on how good it was before compared to now.

I did notice that the upgrade had "fixed" the buzzing problem by just reducing the volume, and that I now have a terrible hissing sound when recording videos with sound.

Guest ferret

The update is rubbish. Battery life is appaling, and I'm back to the dialing fiasco on the SPV. 6 reboots to get past "Connecting" and "unable to establish connection, check network coverage".

Posted from my SmartPhone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gazalli

I guess i must be one of the lucky ones!

For myself, the update has done everything it said it was going to do:

The battery life is much better, I had about 35 hours uncharged use of the phone. That included two 1hr phone calls, some mp3's, mpg's and games. Basically everything you can do on it.

The sound seems to be fine, to be honest not much change. I have enough bass, no less than was already there.

I don't know what this hiss is everyone is talking about, no sign of it at all (before or after).

The Cleartype is excellent, best thing that was added to CEP and a brilliant, more like obvious idea to put into the SPV. It suits the screen far better than previous text, and is far easier to read.

Bluetooth, don't use it.

Only prob i do have is on another topic about the homescreen flicking up after 10 seconds of being idle, but i don't know if thats the upgrade as it happened a while after i did it.

Anyway i'll leave it at that, the annoying arsehole who's phone is working 95% perfect.

Guest R4N6ER5-RE4DY

I just got mine & ran the update as soon as the battery was charged.

4 days later everything seems OK. no noises & battery life is much the same as the canary, even using bluetooth it dosn't seem too bad.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Only prob i do have is on another topic about the homescreen flicking up after 10 seconds of being idle, but i don't know if thats the upgrade as it happened a while after i did it.

I'd advise you visit Start>Settings>Homescreen>Time Out.

Guest Austin519

Man...I am still wavering on this...I want to hear more opinions as this upgrade sounds permanent. My BT hasn't worked properly and so I've been tempted to upgrade...but I'm afraid to do so since my only problems are:

BT isn't working so well

The signal bars on the homescreen are a little messed up, sometimes the largest one only appears as a pixel until I switch screens and it refreshes

Battery life sucks

Camera images have lines on them

That's really about it. I don't have any buzzing or any sound problems...

Austin519

Guest bikespod

not that happy with it, i'm sorry to say. battery life seems worse to me. nasty sound in video makes it unuseable. t9 still forgets and words still disappear when typing, as it is ably demonstrating as i write! its now def too quiet. and as for bluetooth don't get me started. i had bt active sync all set up and now it simply won't connect apart from by cable. pants! that's what it is. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest pd.ryder

Got to be "not sure but probably no" for me.

:D Battery life has doubled(ish)

;) ClearType not a problem

:lol: Nice to be able to disconnect GPRS by pressing red key instead of having to press-and-hold the Home key and disconnect there. It now drops GPRS automatically after sending MMS. Bril :!:

:x Audio quality has been royally rogered :!: Mine was fine pre-update, having natural tonal qualities and none of the buzzing others reported. Now it's all top end and scratchy.

:x BlueTooth. Same old same old here. I was hoping to be able to send files, jpegs, wavs etc. just like a cheap PAYG Moto or Nokia, to other not-so-smartphones. But no. My SMARTPHONE cant even send stuff by IR unless it's a "contact". I don't use BT ActiveSync so I can't comment there. How will multi-player games like the eagerly awaited "Kumite" work if the 200's BT can't exchange data? If all you need is a headset, you're ok.

:x SD cards have caused me no end of problems but this is both pre- and post-update. I can't decide if it's the phone or the brand of card I'm using. The card's back with the retailer again at the moment because it appears to have "died" again and refuses to be formatted. Pre-update, the card I'd used for months in the E100 suddenly developed a fault as soon as it went into the E200. :?

:x Video recording really has been spoilt, probably as a consequence of tweaking the whole audio side. The sound quality is now totally unacceptable. Video captured pre-update is fantastic when compared side by side with that taken afterwards. It's hard to believe it was taken on the same device.

I think, with the benefit of hindsight and because I'm never that far away from a charger, I wish I hadn't bothered installing it. :cry:

Guest shadamehr

Well, to be as fair, and honest as possible, the proof of the pudding is ALWAYS in the eating.

And, I can safely say, in all honesty, if someone could give me the original ROM to upload to my phone, I WOULD revert back at once.

I guess, for me at least, that puts it into perspective, and just about says it all, better than any scientific experiment.

Because whilst I could hardly use my phone AS A PHONE before, Because of the poor battery, now resolved, I find I can NOW no longer use my phone AS A PHONE Because the new audio quality makes hearing outdoors almost impossible.

Touche to those clever chaps and chappesses at Orange for such an Incalcuable Cock UP!

Guest Austin519

A strong no on this one for me. I so far have had a little battery improvement...not a lot. One other thing that was weird is my left menu button stopped working before the update, and the update fixed that somehow...so it works and I'm happy about that. However, my sound was fine before and now it's brutally quiet. I can't hear a thing! I'm definitely going to have to go buy a headset now because I can't hear what people calling me are saying with even light noise in the background. I'm with shadamehr on this one, I'm really, really regretting updating...because my issues before at least didn't keep me from hearing the other person!

Austin519

• 1 month later...
Guest myktaylor

Just got my e200 so its already updated, where should i start;

1. The phone signal waivers from 1 bar to 4 without moving the handset

2. It didnt ring when i was called and didnt ring when i was left voice mail from the same calls until i rebooted (i put up with this on my spv as it was a prototype but this should have been sorted by now!)

3. It wont sync my contacts or calender with my pc/outlook,

4. The ear piece is too quiet,

5. The microphone is too quiet especially on speakerphone (people cant hear me on speaker phone even if i hold the phone to my mouth, i have to 'raise my voice' just to be heard)

6. I cannot send or receive email via my freeserve account

7. The battery life is s**t, have to charge every day.

8. Camera is bad

9. Video is bad

Also this is my second handset because the first one was just as bad and Orange has just decided to send me another!!!!

We'll see