Clear Type or Not Clear Type?

Guest Simon Desser

Guest Simon Desser

Clear Type or Not Clear Type.............That is the question :?: :wink:

Personally, I don't like Clear Type, how anyone with good eyesight can say they prefer it is beyond me :?

I know people say "you get used to it" but you'd get used to seeing upside down and you're brain would turn it the right way round, if you wore those "upside down glasses" for long enough :) :wink:

Anyway, below are some screenshots and close ups of Clear Type on and off, I've done nothing to the images other than zoom in :shock:

(I don't think I need to say which is which)

Clear Type Comparison.gif

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have to say i'm definitely PRO cleartype...

Your screen grabs don't really do it justice do they :)

Do you not use ClearType on XP with a TFT then?

P

ClearType is supposed to be viewed at normal viewing distances. Not zoomed in...

However, ClearType should be still be optional. Not everyone's eyesight is the same. I have some 17" LCD monitors (1280x1024) and at normal viewing distances I can still distinguish individual pixels and see shades that most people can't see. ClearType just looks blurry to me, while it looks great to others.

Guest Simon Desser
"]Your screen grabs don't really do it justice do they :) P

My screen grabs are exactly that, they tell it how it is :wink:

"]Do you not use ClearType on XP with a TFT then? P

No, I don't even like TFT screens, a lot of my work involves photography, and I have to edit and and check colours etc. on the PC, and I find TFT screens too contrasty and false colours :?

Anyway, my point refers purely to our phones, even without zooming in you can see it's blurry, and colours bleed into each other :!:

(Just my opinion :lol: )

Guest spacemonkey

The screenshots are misleading.

Normal font antialiasing is rubbish. What it does is blur all the letters.

Cleartype is specific to LCD screens and doesn't blur letters it cheats with the colours.

Basically the pixels are made up of many red green and blue pixels in a row. For instance

rgbrgbrgbrgb

rgbRGBrgbrgb

rgBRGbrgbrgb effectively displays the same but places our lit pixel 1/3 of a pixel further left.

That's probably over confusing, but in a nut shell it's what cleartype does.

Guest Rob.P

I is definately Pro-cleartype but then vision isn't that great :)

I have it switched on in XP as well, especially at work using 2 TFT's, could be cause I'm colourblind that I don't see the bad bits of cleartype, still not doing too badly for a designer and nobody's complained about my work.

Guest t3dluke

I have perfect vision which I've only recently had professionally checked and I love cleartype. I can't stand looking at the sharp text of a display without cleartype on. And yes I can see pixels on the display if I purposely look for them. Can't really understand why people don't like it on, but thats just me. And yes, there should be an option like on PocketPC to turn the feature on and off, can't see how they missed that really.

When I look at an LCD screen I can see the gap between the pixels...

Microsoft doesn't always have an option to disable ClearType when they think it's a Good Thing to have. e.g. Microsoft Reader for Windows also has it enabled by default. I can't read more than a page before my eyes start killing me.

Guest Vector

I personally love cleartype, didn't like it at first when using it on XP on my TFT monitor, but now i can't live without it! and having it on smartphone is cool!.

BUT i can see why people may not like it, it's one of those either love it or loathe it things, and i agree that Orange should have included an option to turn it on and off :)

Guest dazza12
I personally love cleartype, didn't like it at first when using it on XP on my TFT monitor, but now i can't live without it!  and having it on smartphone is cool!.

BUT i can see why people may not like it, it's one of those either love it or loathe it things, and i agree that Orange should have included an option to turn it on and off :)

I prefer Cleartype. It does seem fuzzy when you first look at it when used to months of the non-cleartype screen. However, I use both TFT and CRT monitors and feel that Cleartype is easier on the eyes.

There may be another factor - for both camps, pro or anti Cleartype, do you wear glasses, contact lenses or nothing?

BTW, the screen shots are misleading. I have never looked at my phone's screen that closely, you might be showing every pixel, but I look at my phone from just over half an arms length away. Your screenshots would only be seen by me on my phone if I was holding the phone a couple of inches away from my face. If I walk away a few feet and then look at the images, the Cleartype example is easier to read.

Guest PhilA

Personally, I hate ClearType and have it turned off on my PocketPC, Laptop and Desktop. Wish I could turn it off on my newly updated E200!!

Guest ipv6ready

This a Coca Cola is better than Pesi thing????

Thing is no one is making you update.

If you have no problems like buzzing than don't. If you do upgrade the ROM.

Guest Simon Desser

The point is, there should be a choice :?

Noone knew (except the beta testers) that Clear Type would be installed with no option to turn it off, before they upgraded on Friday :roll:

How hard could it have been to have included an on/off option :?:

Guest Pagemakers

Precisely - Who MAKES you drink Pepsi?

• 11 months later...
Guest agentx
Clear Type or Not Clear Type.............That is the question :?:  :wink:

Personally, I don't like Clear Type, how anyone with good eyesight can say they prefer it is beyond me :?

I know people say "you get used to it" but you'd get used to seeing upside down and you're brain would turn it the right way round, if you wore those "upside down glasses" for long enough :D  :wink:

Anyway, below are some screenshots and close ups of Clear Type on and off, I've done nothing to the images other than zoom in :shock:

(I don't think I need to say which is which)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

please can you send me a file for that cleartype font? or link where i can download it, thank you very much, i need it badly

Guest SKOOBICE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didnt know what this was until I loaded it onto my e200 and I love it so much I even activated it on my PC (I dont stare at my phone/pc screen from 2 inches away!!) IT LOOKS GREAT (SO CLEAR!!)

PS... I prefer cherry coke!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: