GAPI broken on 8390

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest The PocketTV Team

Apparently GAPI is broken on the 8390, which means that all the games and video applications like PocketTV that use GAPI will not work on this device.

We are working with Mitac to see if there is a way for us to work around

this issue (and for them to fix it, in future ROM's).

We'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest schriss

Any news? I hope it will take weeks, not months to get GAPI fixed... :?

Without GAPI, it's not a smartphone, it's an ordinary cell phone :x

Guest The PocketTV Team
Any news? I hope it will take weeks, not months to get GAPI fixed... :?  

Without GAPI, it's not a smartphone, it's an ordinary cell phone  :x

They are still working on it...

I think they are busy with more urgent things, like preparing new devices that will run WM2003-SE.

Guest schriss

WM2003-SE?? I just sold my E100 and bought Mitac 8390... and now they will sell 2003-SE devices? I almost got mine and it's already outdated :?

I suppose there will be no upgrades for WM2003 to SE? They will want to sell new devices, just like in case of WM2003...

What's new in SE, anyway?

Guest The PocketTV Team

> What's new in SE, anyway?

As far as Smartphone are concerned, support for higher resolution display (up to 320x240). Not larger size, just higher resolution, i.e. making fonts much more readable, especially small size fonts.

Im very annoyed that pockettv cant be used with the new 8390 plus the problems with the camera having horizontal line. I guess its not you guys fault but poor build quality you can expect from Asian manufacturers.

Guest The PocketTV Team

Mitac is a pretty good and professional manufacturers, but like all others (e.g. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc), they sometimes make mistakes.

Don't forget that most, if not all, Smartphones and Pocket PC's are designed in asia (HTC from Taiwan designed the E100 and E200 from Orange, Chi Mei Communication Systems (CMCS) from Taiwan designed the Motorola MPx200, etc).

In our next release of PocketTV, we'll try to find a solution to work around the problem of GAPI being broken on this device.

Unfortunately such a workaround is not the best solution. The best solution would be for Mitac to produce a patch, so that all other games using GAPI will work.

Guest The PocketTV Team
I just can't believe it... so they didn't try any GAPI application before they started mass production of 8390?  :shock:

You can also blame Microsoft. They provide a Platform Test Suite called "LTK". If the device passes the LTK, it is approved by MSFT and they can sell it. Unfortunately the LKT does not contain any test involving GAPI!!!

In any case, it's a firmware issue, not a hardware issue, so the problem can be fixed later.

Guest kimchi29

dang, this really really sucks, games also dont work and emulators. sigh, can't wait untill a patch comes out. I need my Pocket TV! need to watch movies during 5th and 6th period, high schools a bore :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Frazzyscot

Any word on a fix for GAPI? Just find it a bit annoying that I bought a fast smartphone to play emulators and games on, and find that it's a smartphone that can't play many smartphone programs! :evil: Oh well at least Doom works so guess I'll have to go complete it again :D

Guest markgamber

Try the (apparently) new BetaPlayer app and set the video type to GDI. That plays divx files for me just fine.

Guest picard_beta
Apparently GAPI is broken on the 8390, which means that all the games and video applications like PocketTV that use GAPI will not work on this device.

what is the nature of the problem? can it be detected so i can change to GDI by default?

Guest markgamber

As far as I can tell, GAPI works up to the point of getting a buffer address at which time it hands back a garbage address. A 32 bit number is a 32 bit number so unless it's null, which it's not, I can't see how it could be detected automatically. I'd guess that's why the Beta Player app has menu items dealing with it.

Guest The PocketTV Team

what is the nature of the problem? can it be detected so i can change to GDI by default?

The problem would be first to detect the type of device. Unfortunately Mitac does not place any usable string in SystemParametersInfo(SPI_GETOEMINFO,...).

Then it would be nice to know the correct frame buffer address. I don't have the anwer.

All I know is that Mitac is aware of the issue, so probably only a relatively small number of 8390 have the issue.

Guest The PocketTV Team
As far as I can tell, GAPI works up to the point of getting a buffer address at which time it hands back a garbage address. A 32 bit number is a 32 bit number so unless it's null, which it's not, I can't see how it could be detected automatically. I'd guess that's why the Beta Player app has menu items dealing with it.

Already you could check the address for sanity. If it's odd, it's probably not good.

And the real frame buffer address is probably page-aligned, so a non-page aligned address woould be a good indication that it's garbage :D

Guest The PocketTV Team
i am new to all of this and was wondering if i could play games on the 8380??  is the GAPI broken on the 8380??

This thread is about the 8390.

There is nothing wrong with GAPI on the 8380.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest schriss

Here is what Mitac support wrote me:

sorry for this,

so far we can''t have the plan to update the os. :cry:

it can support the java game. (Great, stupid java, really great... :cry: )

Guest schriss

By the way, I don't get it how GAPI works.

If GAPI is supposed to report frame buffer address, then isn't the address fixed (always the same) for Mio 8390? If it's fixed, we have no problem.

If it's not fixed (changes), then I suppose a person who makes working gx.dll for Mio 8390 would be fameous? 8)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pwest13

Schriss lets not let them get away with not updating the OS keep pestering, it may be cheaper for them to update the OS rather then email every1 in this forum every week :D

Can u post the Mitac service we should e-mail? i tried to find it there are so many :S

Westy

Guest schriss

I'm sure it could be possible to make a GAPI-to-GDI wrapper, all it takes to make a GAPI app work on Mio8390 was "make it blit to the screen without requiring a screen pointer". Two developers did it after my email...

And you don't have to rewrite whole application as other GAPI functions work fine. So I think making a wrapper that would do it on the fly with every application would be possible... and I don't care about speed.

I have registered here: http://www.mitacservice.com and sent them a question, answer was "update is not scheduled" :cry: