Yeti3D [awesome 3d engine, demo runs at ~20 fps on my mpx!]

Guest durk1482

Guest durk1482

I think it could certainly be used for racing, some kind of wipe-out game. That game even rocked on my 486.

And i'm also waiting for feedback from the more experienced smartphone programmers... I'm actually coming back here every hour, hoping for a reply :)

By the way, the Yeti3D site seems to be down for the moment. Maintenance, or some kind of site update, i guess.

Guest midnight

errr, difficult to say what i make of this, i'm running on an spv, and framerates are still pretty poor (especially for outside scenes, dropping to 5fps in some areas), racing games will only work if kept at a solid framerate, well, all games should stay at a constant framerate, but racing games need to be kept fast and smooth. And as for FPS games, well, i just dont think the controls on our phones work well for fps games, turning around is sluggish, needs analog control. A wipeout game could perhapds work if the no. of polys was lowered a lot (altough in this tech demo the poly count is pretty low already), and keep the amount of texturing to a minimum.

However, a 200mhz phone may be able to handle this reasonably well (cmon Sagem, get that phone out), but then you'd be restricting the devices the game is playable on.

I think this engine would be great for small amounts of relatively low poly objects, so, something like a space shooter game (elite style), or even (control issues aside), something like monkey ball. Thats the good thing about restrictions, it makes you think about more original game styles. A clever use would be to use this to essentially make a 2d game with 3d objects, 2D platformer with 3d platforms? side scrolling beat em up with 3d floor, objects? Eclipse with proper 3d asteroids :)?

It is kinda impressive though, i just feel that the devices aint quite up to it yet (depending on the type of game), 3D accel will help a lot, but thats only coming next year.

edit: oh and of course, if there is indeed a license fee for commercial developers that will put a lot of people off, look at xforge2 by fathammer, much better performance than this, but isnt cheap. 3D games tend to take quite a while and lots of resources to make, so you wont find that many people willing to make good 3d games for free.

Guest phonesmarts

hey, Elite, i remember that game! it was fun (that and star control). there should be that type of game around...3d asteroids, planets, and ships in a 2d environment. man, that would be fun...and make a game like Escape Velocity (remember that, on a MAC?)

Guest dnavarro77

Well, maybe on SPV's this thing runs slow, but on my i600 it runs at an average 25FPS, and hits over 30 quite often! The lowest FPS i got (in 2 levels) was 12 FPS. I can't understand the low low FPS on SPV's. This game looks great and is soo damn smooth. I think FPS games on 200MHz phones (like the samsung) would be sweet on this engine. Looks every bit as good as Quake to me.

D

Guest durk1482

One potential problem is that the levels seem to be of raycaster-style: for example, each spot on the 2d plane has a maximum of 1 floor and 1 ceiling, which would be the reason the engine runs so fast. Monsters etc. seem to be incorrectly drawn when partially walls etc. These problems may be existent because of problems blending the raycaster-level with real 3d objects (monsters, scenery etc). Framerates drop dramatically when monsters are drawn in full-screen (or actually half screen since only half the screen is used).

Guest mike-oh

How polished is this engine though? We've seen how Doom has developed and how work on that has got a good framerate out of it. I've no idea how far this is in terms of development and if it's possible to squeeze a few more fps out of it.

Guest rafiq_p

running this demo on my original spv after a fresh boot gives me alot faster play, about 10fps average. I think amount of memory makes alot of difference on performance.

Guest djboo

i think this engine must be much more memory dependant than cpu dependant. on my e200 i rarely get below 20 fps, which is plenty for me; we have to realise too that this is the code for gba, speedily ported to ppc. its a million miles from being optimised for the phone.

I agree with muff saying fps games are not really suited to phones coz of controls... tho the landscape method works for me, i miss having strafe.

wipeout would work im sure of it, as would platforms.

games like monkey ball would be perfect. id love a pikmin style game.

it really opens up the floodgate in my opinion of what we can do on the phone. sure 3d accell would be nice, but with an engine as fast as this is not neccesary.

Guest BlurpSter

this is a very nice atempt to a 3d game on phone..

maybe if u port it to smartphone it gets even better..

but this isn't really playable..

it rox though :)

Guest maxh2003

On the subject of 3D engines, has anyone played with DieselEngine ( http://www.3dartsnmagic.fi/mobile/de.htm ) ? It comes with a whole bunch of fairly simple Smartphone 2002 samples, which run fine on my E200, and although the demos aren't as impressive as Yeti3D, they're still effective and pretty surprising when you haven't seen much in the way of 3D graphics on Smartphone.

Moreover DieselEngine is free for non-commercial use, though it does pop an annoying "DEMO" window on startup if you're using the free version. God alone knows what the licensing costs are like if you want to release a commercial game, but then we're all looking for more freeware, let's face it :-D

For anyone looking into Yeti3D, I note that while the front page says "The Yeti3D server will be down until further notice. Thank you for your understanding.", you can still go straight to http://www.theteahouse.com.au/gba/files.html for downloads etc...

Guest midnight

you guys do realise this costs $6000 for a commercial license to use Yeti 3D :)

certainly turned me off the idea anyways, think we'll stick with high quality 2D games until 3d accel is made available :lol:

Guest midnight

djboo, 3d accel is vastly different, imagine running 2 million polys/sec, thats a huge difference, then we can have ridge racer type game running at 30fps no problem. 3d accel is not far away, end of the year/early next year, personally (speaking as a developer) i dont mind waiting, we've barely scratched the surface of whats possible with 2d games, never mind 3d. give me a high quality playable 2d game anyday over a low quality unplayable 3d game.

Guest djboo

yeh, i know its a huge difference - but look at the ngage. thats got s*** hardware compared to us lot with e200's. im not saying 3daccel is a bad idea - hell no. im just saying that its not required to make an ok 3d game. something like abuse on the phone in full 3d, or a decent mario kart style game (with bt multiplayer) would be perfect with yeti or similar rendering.

tbh i think we are unlikely to see a smartphone with 3d accell... i think itll all move to pocketPC which is kinda a shame.

Guest midnight

trust me, there will be smartphones with 3d accel, in fact, we are less likely to see a pocketpc with 3d accel i think

oh, and i'm from the amiga days aswell (and the demo scene), hence my love for high quality 2d games over poor quality 3d games, but people are easily swayed by 3d even if it plays poor/has a low frame rates, i remember when games where all about playability, not whether it had X polys running at :)

Guest bongbong

AWESOME!!!

I cnat believe i!

Sky is moving and the textures are really good.

The game plays splendid on an spv e100.

You just need lots of ipsm space since it uses memory a lot.

Since i have more than 6 mb free it runs from 25 fps indoors to a low of 9 fps in the completely open ares with no arches to cover the sky.

But it's amazing and to think this was originaly designed for a gameboy if only they would develop it straight to a smartphone specifically ours im sure it can run full screen at very playable framerates

Guest agent.m
oh, and i'm from the amiga days aswell (and the demo scene), hence my love for high quality 2d games over poor quality 3d games :)

Ruff n Tumble was a classic amiga game. Made up for not having sonic and i never missed it (sonic) :wink:

Guest roozbeh

i think for now also 3d is compltly perfect suitable for smartphones....

wait to see dukenukem and how fast it renderes all that stuff....

i think you remember duke lots of sprites and.....all in 3d.....

(and also keep in mind the speed is for 320*200 not 176*220 wich makes it alot faster if optimized for...)

it requires just somebody with time to make a perfect 3d engine....and hopefully if not free with lower cost!

Guest Brody

This engine demonstrates the capability of Smartphones, especially when you consider that the next generation of Smartphones with more power are just around the corner. I think that to develop such a game would take some serious time and money though, lets make some serious progress with the basics first (2D) and then make the progression to 3D...

Guest yarod_g14

This is quite interesting. I remember hearing a long time ago that the gameboy uses a similar processor to the SPV and Someone mentioned this engine was designed originally for a gameboy, I don't know if that makes it any easier to port.......

Considering how well doom and picodrive run I'm sure(maybe just hope) our phones are capable of much more.

roozbeh said,

"i think for now also 3d is completely perfect suitable for smartphones...."

Good Stuff

:)

Brody said

"I think that to develop such a game would take some serious time and money though, lets make some serious progress with the basics first (2D) and then make the progression to 3D..."

I suppose the only reason I disagree with this is because I use Smartnes and Picodrive. Maybe I'm too hopeful thinking they will ever be perfect but they are getting better and the range of games playable on these Emu's are broad.(the ones I own) This gives me the 2d kick I need I suppose.

When I got myDoomCe running on my E200 it was a different story, I couldn't believe how well it ran. It's made me want more! Now I can't wait for the day when I can play a 3D shooter against a friend over Bluetooth on my phone.

I can almost hear the gun shots echoing from my opponents phone...........

Guest midnight

ah, but that is emulation, emulating a game is a far cry from developing a game from scratch. I like to think no matter what you are emulating it cannot compete with a game developed specifically for the smartphone, taking into account hardware specs (lovely 16 bit gfx), controls, sound, and indeed multiplayer bluetooth. Emulators and ports are scaring some developers away though, its certainly made us think twice about staying with Microsoft only development.

Guest unclelimey
ah, but that is emulation, emulating a game is a far cry from developing a game from scratch. I like to think no matter what you are emulating it cannot compete with a game developed specifically for the smartphone, taking into account hardware specs (lovely 16 bit gfx), controls, sound, and indeed multiplayer bluetooth. Emulators and ports are scaring some developers away though, its certainly made us think twice about staying with Microsoft only development.

Im sorry mid, but there are no games out there specifically for smartphone that come anywhere near the quality of a certain hedgehog game.. and all the classic sega games that work on the picodrive..

The Picodrive in my opinion is the best thing to happen to smartphone gaming.. with over 100 working roms... it will attract new gamers to the smartphone platform (and has already, when i show my mates the sega games, they are all very impressed.. 2 of my mates have gone out and bought smartphones just because of the picodrive) and i think you will find that even though people can now play megadrive games full speed on their phones, it wont stop them from also buying smartphone titles... i still buy pretty much everything that is released (even most of the crap that gets made)

My hat goes off to people like max who made the smartphone picodrive... and roozbeh who has been busy porting fantastic versions of doom and wolfenstein 3d, ... not only do these 2 people give their time to this phone for free, but they have managed to create the two best things to happen to gaming on the smartphone.

anyway, thats my humble opinion for what its worth.. :)

Guest agent.m

Amen to that :) on a different note im positive yeti are the same people who made gunmetal..... not that it means anything :oops: