Would you buy the new C500??

Guest jbrare

Guest drblow

Mid - you did hit a nerve!! :D Hey, it was late, I had a hard day at the office ... :D

With respect - I think I am being fair. I have never even so much as held a mtorola mpx200, so I don't know anything about them. Thats why I have never mentioned the bugs those phones have. I have only owned SPV, e100 and e200. Thats what my personal experience is of. Do I really have to mention bugs in other phones that I have no experience of every time I slag off HTC?? :?

I'm really at the end of my tether with the e200. Last night for example, I had to reboot my e200 3 times while swapping homescreens coz it crashed. I couldn't play a full game of anything while I was in work ( :lol: ) because the storage card wouldn't read. & when I got home & installed your lovely new MSN theme, 10 minutes later the screen says'no valid homescreen layouts can be found'. (have you any ideas about that by the way??)

I've been using the e200 every day since december, and I'm sick of it not working. To keep to the original topic of this thread, the only way I'll take anohter HTC device, is if Orange point blank refuse to give me something else!! :twisted:

Guest drblow
The problem is that no phones are bugfree. And as long as the phones with bugs are much better than everything else on the market - then you have to live with it.

See, I just don't agree with that. If you bought a new PC, & it crashed 3 times every day needing a reboot - would you just say 'oh well, I just have to live with it'? I don't think so ... well, I wouldn't anyway. I would take it back & get it replaced with an equivalent model that works. I would have done that long ago with my e200, except that Orange could not offer me an equivalent replacement.

To be honest, I feel rather cheated by the e200. Maybe I'm worse off than most because I use my e200 alot, so the bugs affect me every day. Maybe I'm just more prone to complaining than other people!? :D

Guest morpheus2702

Just looking through the forum kind of points to the skew in the HTC:Motorola bug count and more importantly, HOW MUCH they annoy people. Or maybe there are just that many more users of HTC smartphone out there? :wink:

My gut reaction was to deride the C500 - ugly little beast, doesn't push the envelope in any regard, HTC legacy of fcuk-ups. But hey, I thought that about the MPx200 too so who knows?

Guest mushra

I'll be gettin' the c500 when it comes out, hopefully, if it dont cost too much.

i think it looks great and is a big step up from my spv (the original), which i might add has never caused me any problems and ive only ever had to hard rsest it once, and i think that was because of something i did.

Guest Jakob
I would take it back & get it replaced with an equivalent model that works.

Give me a clue - which phone do You want?

Thinking of equivalent models.

I had my 6610 for approx. 6 hours before returning it because it was totallly unuseable with the software delivered with the phone - and no update was possible.. And around 2 months ago i tested the 6230 for a magazine in DK at the date of 6230 release.. The phonesoftware sucked so bad, that the phone was practically unuseable.. I´ve also been able to falsh my Smartphone in case of major problems.

My SPV has served me bettter than anything else that I have had..

The build quality is superior to the one of Nokia (and SE and Moto)..

Its the first phone I have had for more than ½ year before breaking it or something coming loose on the inside..

Never replaced, only opened to exchange keyboard PCB because of coffee..

Usually my Nokia´s lasted approx a year, SE and MOTO ~6 months.

HTC phone again ? ... Definately.

/Jakob

Guest awarner [MVP]

What I am more concerned about is the actual build quality,

moto build quality over SPVE100, the mpx200 wins hands

down, the next problem is it will be a different company

making the moto phones this time round :?

As for a buggy phone in general day to day use, for me the mpx200 wins for stability the only things that let it down are teh keypad conflicts but to be honest as long as you can redefine keys in a game it is only the downleft diagonal that is a pain and it's still more diagonals than an e200 :-P

As said above no one knows so we will just have to wait and

see what the new phones bring.

Guest HurricaneDave

having owned an spv/e100/mpx200 and now a e200 YES i would and probably will buy the c500 (bugs n all) i just dont think motorola are all there cracked up to be... still personall preference is all that counts...but its anoying that people keep slating the spv phones waaaawaaaaaaa bugs bugs bugs :cry: :cry: :cry: 3rd attempt at getting it right bla bla bla...sorry but if you arnt capable of reading reviews and posts from modaco and many many many other review sites all of which list the bugs..BEFORE you rush out and buy the phone then you deserve a bug ridden pile of shite..and in fairness its NOT really there 3rd attempt is it?? the e200 has wm2003/bluetooth/camera etc etc none of which there previous phones had so its a new start for them really..

anyway i dont really care what people buy but i would definatley buy a htc phone over a motorola anyday :shock:

Guest drblow
sorry but if you arnt capable of reading reviews and posts from modaco and many many many other review sites all of which list the bugs..BEFORE you rush out and buy the phone then you deserve a bug ridden pile of shite..

And exactly how are we all meant to get the benefit of reviews without people who ARE prepared to buy the devices early & then post reviews about them on modaco & many other forums, eh!?? :? Honestly, to try to say that its someones own fault because they didn't read reviews before buying it ... I just don't know. What is the world coming to?? :evil:

I got my e200 within the first week of them coming out, and I think you'll find at the time, it was recieveing rave reviews everywhere (including this forum). My initial problems were with buzzing speaker, and this forum was the only place on the web that problem was mentioned at that time (& even that was being played down as an occasional problem) - other reviews were giving it a great rating. So the only reason YOU had any insight into the phones problems is because of people like ME, who bought them, & the posted honest views about them on this forum.

Guest nvkid909

for me the e200 or fold up motorolas seem to be the ideal size / weight / shape (i have an e100), i'm not sure about squeezing that much windows into a smaller phone & smaller screen, will i need glasses!?!

though i think the action button on c500 is a much better design.

Guest Jakob

Well, if you are unable to find your phone then you might need glasses...

But screen and keyboard size are approx the same as with Canary and Tanager, so that shouldnt be a problem...

(Jakob

Guest Dr Who

OK, I am ready to be shot down in flames, but as I said somewhere further up this thread the only thing I have taken advantage of on my smarthphone is the internet and I have just found out the soon to be released Nokia 7610 features full html support. So guess what, I think my new phone will be.........a Nokia!

Guest fasteye

As someone who works in the mobile field for a very large global corporate and who uses an SPV/SPV E200, I can say that the MS Smartphone platform is still way short of the mark for being able to be deployed in a corporate which is where it needs to be.

For a lot of us on here who want the functionality then they are great and we live with the issues we find.

We've spent a lot of time and effort pushing Microsoft, Carriers (especially Voda) and incumbent software vendors to support the MS Smartphone platform so that we could swap out all our old Nokia 6310i's at end of life and contract (around now) and replace with a MS Smartphone alternative we could offer corporate services on (such as inhouse apps and Mobile E-mail). The MS Smartphone is great for us to develop on.

Unfortunately the devices (particularly from HTC) are not acceptable for their reliability, battery life and general quality and they have gained little ground globally within the carriers.

New phones are all very nice but the main technical issues are not being addressed and they are not easy to use and support.

With the fragmented Symbian platform dominating the space now, it puts pressure on us the back out of our preferred route and have to adopt Symbian Nokia or Sony Ericsson phones or Savaje.

I'd be happy to wait longer to get a quality device I could deploy in 1000's globally rather than a feature rich, bug ridden mess.

I'm rapidly losing faith that the MS Smartphone will ever deliver what it should and I've been a strong supporter of it up till now.

Guest Dr Who

Fasteye, I have a couple of questions re: Nokia symbians. I have absolutely NO knowledge of the symbian OS and what benefits and downsides it has. Any ideas?

As I mentioned I am planning to get a Nokia 7610 when I can (and if I can afford it) 'cos my experience of Nokias has always been good. Actually I want a Nokia 6630 but can't wait for it to be released or for Orange to get their 3G network operational......

Guest fasteye

It really depends on the what you want to use the phone for. In the business space which I have an interest in, of primary importance is the ease of use of the phone functions, good voice quality, signal strength and battery life.

I own a Nokia 6600 which is Symbian OS 7 and a Sony Ericsson P800 which is Symbian OS 7 UIQ (pen based).

I would class the Symbian phones as good consumer space devices.

The problems for a corporate are that each of the carriers and device manufacturers have different flavours of Symbian, interface, applications and branding. This makes it difficult to deploy and support a consistent set of devices and applications.

The members of the Symbian alliance seem to have different ideas on how the Symbian OS should look and work.

The one comment I would make on the new Nokias (and I always had various Nokias before my SPV) is that the build quality is nowhere near what it was and the plastics feel cheap.

Guest Dr Who

Cheers Fasteye.

By "good consumer device" are you suggesting that symbian falls down on one or more of, "ease of use of the phone functions, good voice quality, signal strength and battery life"? Or is it because of the problems of deployment over a range of devices?

I know these are perhaps more to do with the phone and I guess your post criticising HTC phones suggest that they fail this business test, at least by your standards. I can think of at least two of those points that seem applicable to E100 and E200 series.

Build quality is an issue I had forgotten about. My E100 seems pretty well built, although I had a return a few weeks ago for a hardware fault. My main gripe is that my battery, which doesn't get replaced, does seem a little free to move which has turned my phone off on more than one occasion. At least I think that is what it is.

Maybe I should go and give them (the C500 and 7610) a quick feel before deciding.

Guest StillHasSomeHair

I sincerely hope that the C500 isn't the b'stard greatgrandson of the original SPV with all its previous traits and failings inbred. Why are people here slating this phone so badly whilst you're actually still waiting for its release on or after July 1st - hasn't Orange slipped someone on this forum a REAL C500 so that that real person in the real world gets to have a real go on this beautifully tiny SMARTPhone - and give him/her the bulkier MPx100 so he/she can have something properly different to compare it to - rather than the previous HTC offerings or silly flip phones - to help us with the £££ make a procurement decision on day 1 of Q3 rather than the last day of Q4.

:!: More people are now talking my language - considering the MPx100 as an alternative to the C500 - and vice verca - but some still hanker for the MPx220 - but that is a flip not a phone.

:?: I wonder what their ages are...?

:arrow: It seems the "over 30's" on this site all agree that 'flip' phones aren't 4 business - and business users are novices in usability - not grand masters like the gamers - but there is more business £££ out there.

:idea: "A Good Consumer Device" - Yup - that's my "creative brief" for the corporate purchase I have to make - people like me using great patience develop foresight from the knowledge gleaned from sites like this before we have to buy phones for 'them' that have no patience or understanding of the hardware & software issues suffered by the likes of this forums members & if the phone proposed has horrendous glitches then we may get sacked for proposing a bad purchase.

:| However - If I buy the Nokia then I've bought the phone they all already know how to use - even if the software is reported as FUBAR from what I read here - and it isn't a SMARTphone.

But 'they' want a Blackberry - But the BB isn't a SMARTphone either - Anyway they can't have the BB 'cause the end-users are too dumb to use them without 24/7 support from the IT Team.

Tick... Tick... Tick... BOOM...! #-o My brain just exploded.

Guest FATGOONER

I aslo complained about the E200 and how no one at O cared and did not try to resolve my problems. Said i will be leaving they also said ok bye! Appaling.

Guest FATGOONER

I aslo complained about the E200 and how no one at O cared and did not try to resolve my problems. Said i will be leaving they also said ok bye! Appaling.

Guest mantrac

That C500 phone looks tiny...

http://www.partymms.com/partymms/default.a...post&postID=651

I thought that most of the CG images made it look tiny but this is the first one I find where it appears to display a phone that is actually small in size compared to the palm...

Good news for those who thought they'd have to carry bricks around I guess (look at all the phones Three have for example!)

• 1 month later...
Guest jason76

the more things these phones do the more bugs we are going to get, my first phone had bugs about 5 years ago and used that about ten minuets a day, use the spv and spv e200 a few hours a day especially when watching a film or listening to music. personally i can live with bugs the only thing that really annoys me is the bugs with orange customer service.

just ordered a c500 free with 75 pounds cash back can't complain realy. :P