Would you buy the new C500??

Guest jbrare

Guest mcwarre

My tuppence worth..........

Had 6 (or 7) replacement original SPVs all phone problems. Had the moto MPx200 and SPV E200 (for a while). As the financial people say 'past performance is no indication of future performance', true, but it is a bloody good guide!

Personally, I will let someone else beta test for HTC (because that is what I did with SPV and SPV E200) and hopefully it will prove to be fine. When the MPx220 comes out I will go and buy it straight away.

Lets put this into perspective. You buy from car Manufacturer X and with three different models you have had serious problems. So you goto Manufacturer Y and had no problems whatso ever. They then both release similar products around the same time. Who are you going to go for? Are you even going to bother looking at the car manufactured by Manufacturer X?

Case closed methinks..............

I'm looking forward to owning my first smartphone, hopefully the 8010 will be the phone I have been looking for :P

Alot of people had problems with the qtek 8080, and a norwegian review of the phone was not good. I tried it for some time (hoping it was not the case, since some people never had a problem with the phone) , but it was slow, and I returned it. I'm afraid that 8010 might be the same, some people might say it's slow as a snail, freezing all the time and so on. And other people will say it's perfect! Witch will make me super confused.. Only thing I can do is try it properly before buying, reviews wont do me any good. But for me to see how much it looks like the Sendo smartphone that got canned some years ago, is a huge attraction, beacuse wow, I LOVED that phone, (yes that's right, I loved the sendo design). I realise I am part of a minority when it comes to the sendo. Call me crazy or blind as a bat, I can assure you im neither. :wink:

I am soooooooo tired of silver coloured phones that I just want to puke in my soup. So i'll do whatever it takes to get my hands on a black one...almost :wink:

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Go black! Faster CPU and a nice helping of memory should mean the handset flys. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks when its released :P

Guest midnight
Go black!  Faster CPU and a nice helping of memory should mean the handset flys.  Guess we'll find out in a few weeks when its released :P

hehe, that sounds like the Black C500 is faster and has more memory than the silver one, which of course, they are the same :D

Guest SeaneyC

Well i've pre-ordered mine, really don't care about a stupid camera built into the phone, i have a proper camera for that! Roll on Kumite! *hint hint* Although i guess the roller/rocker could be a problem?

Guest midnight

yup, its been tested on a c500 and well, its totally uncontrallable using the joystick thing (but then, Orange's excuse is this is for business only, not for games), although, we will allow people to control up/down/left/right with the normal keypad if you so wish. Something i recommend all games makers do if they require fine control for their games.

Guest dearsina

Microsoft are clearly attacking the businessmarket with their SPVs. The evolution of the joystick serves as an analogy, started perfectly with 8+1 way gaming haven and has now ended up like this malformed yet "userfriendly" stick, so that the clumsy exec can use the device to send his precious emails. Except that no exec in their right mind would by a smartphone when there are devices out there with email push technology (think berries) which can do all the business functions the SPV can do (sync with outlook, emails and whatnot).

So not only are they attacking a market without the killer app everybody else has (push emails), they are losing the tech-loving / gaming / enthuisast market that made the inital models popular at the same time, not just with the joystick mishap but also with the new internal mini-sd (seriously, what are they thinking? Do they want me to move my 100mb+ films over with activesync? It's not even funny.). So it's a bit of a lose / lose situation for MS right now, but they are fortunate enough to afford to make mistake after mistake before they get it right (think Windows 95). Smartphones are a brilliant idea and they are definitely the future of mobile technology, I personally hope that the future also holds a waving Windows logo, but the way things are going it might be a while before that symbol becomes a hallmark for quality.

Unfortunately there is nowhere else I can turn. I have a love/hate relationship with my e200. I cannot be without it and I love it when I watch films on it or use t9 to find contacts, yet I hate it when it (not so often I must ad) crashes when getting an incoming call, or loses an SMS if it I have to restart it before reading the message.

So until a serious alternative comes around, I'm going for the c500. I love/hate it already.

sina

london

Guest fasteye

Personally I've been pushing MS to focus more on getting it right for business (bluetooth, battery life, voice quality and stability) and less playing with 'consumer/carrier' friendly items.

I only wish they had a version without the camera and carrier apps.

The potential of the Microsoft Windows Mobile OS is huge but has been sadly let down by the devices and implementations available up till now. If the C500 proves to be reliable over several months and has good battery life then it will be far more compelling than a RIM Blackberry for a lot of users and more cost effective.

Guest londonlad

if this had a radio (or a radio handsfree accessory) id snap it up otherwise i've already got this phone, cept my one's a bit bigger, better looking and got a joystick (e200). 8)

its time to get something else now, maybe mpx or s700

Guest jtsaint

Just got mine from spv to e200 to c500

This is a lot different. Voice quality is much imporved and that my primary reason for having a phone. Speakerphone is better. Multimedia functions are way way better and the phone is a lot smaller.

Its not perfect but its very very good

I bought the original SPV when it was released and while i love its capabilities, I'm glad its a second phone and not my main one. like most people i had problems for months. This time i'll be buying the C500 on a new contract and return it under 14 day money back before deciding to upgrade or not. Who knows, i may need to do 2 or 3 14-day money backs before i decide whether the C500 is worth upgrading to! Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Phil Lee

I was lucky in that I'm on a cheap contract and managed to get myself a free C500. Having had it for a day I can definitely say I would have been happy spending £80 to upgrade to it from the original SPV I had before.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ileonard

I fully understand the comments mentioned. I was an early adopter of the first SPV that Orange marketed, and yes, it did have a few teething problems, but that was due mainly to my problems with using the phone.

I'd been holding out upgrading because I didn't see anything that I liked,

However.................

I bought the new C500 last Friday and, I have to say, the improvements are astounding compared to the original. Contrary to the comments in the forum, I think it's really well designed, almost Bauhaus-ish in black. It's exremely easy to use with loads of useful features.

The camera/Video is simple to use and the quality is nearly compatible with some full sized cameras on the market.

Just one niggly gripe is changing the SD card slot and using miniSD's. It means I now have to shell out more money on miniSD's.

In summary, I'm really happy with it and would recommend it :)

Guest barrybryce

I have just made the move to C500 and am delighted. It is a different class from the first SPV's, which should probably never have been released when they were. SPVs have however been very cheap compared to other phones which offered similar capabilities more reliably.

If you don't use your phone for games, which thankfully I don't, your main issues with the C500 are thankfully not going to be things like reliability, battery life etc.

My only gripes are having to take the battery out to change the MiniSD card, and the fact that you get less in the box (cable rather than cradle, and no awful plasticy case to tide you over until the proper ones come out!)

Guest peekie

people attack htc and say they will get the new moto mpx220 sadly guys its made by htc for motorola so do you expect more ???? this is by far the best c500 thread as most of the guys who said never now own the phone :) :P :D

people attack htc and say they will get the new moto mpx220 sadly guys its made by htc for motorola so do you expect more ???? this is by far the best c500 thread as most of the guys who said never now own the phone :)  :P  :D

I cannot believe that htc makes phones for moto :shock: :shock:

If they do then I can only assume that moto actually test them and fix most of the bugs before public release :)

Seriously though the mpx200 in my experience is a much more reliable phone than the spv original or E200. Better battery life, games work, usable joystick, no dust under screen and very few lock ups/resets on my moto :) :)

I think I will wait for the moto 220 or ppc version to be released.

davy.

p.s. I will never own a C500 (unless I win it in the comp :D :D )

Guest dhutchison

I think the phone is excellent. I was an early adopter of the SPV and was irritated by the freezing, etc and got a p900.

That was a pretty good phone if you didn't mind using a stylus and the size. The c500 is tiny, a "proper" phone size, responsive and I haven't had a single freeze yet. I would highly reccomend it.