Mio 8390 MSN messenger problem

Guest emerica

Guest emerica

I can't get logged in to the MSN messenger on my 8390, is there any updates needed to be done before i am able to do so?

My phone's version is:

processor: 4.20.13291.0

producer: 41.0.0.0

Microsoft: 4.20.13291.0

language: 4.20.13291.0

System: 4.20.13291.0

i am not sure if the titles are right cause mine's in Chinese, i just translated them by myself.......

If there's any avalible updates, no matter does it help the Messenger function or not, plz tell me, THX!!

Guest schriss

Why is yours in Chinese?? Just change to English... Go to Settings, Regional Settings, change language to US English 8)

By the way, it's not Processor, but Operator, producer is Manufacturer, system is File System, at least on mine :D ..

MSN works on mine, same version numbers.

Guest emerica

Sorry, i am just too lazy to change it back to English.... LOL

ThX for the hint anyways..... but somehow i can't get logged-on to MSN messenger....... just dunno why...... that sucks as messenger is one of the main features of the phone, it means a lot to me...

Guest the bishop

schriss - I can't get that one to work -- won't accept it at all. maybe will try adding settings to the secure GPRS thing I saw somewhere...

Guest schriss

What do you mean "won't accept", you can't install it, or you install and it doesn't connect?

I didn't setup any secure GPRS, just regular GPRS, after Internet Explorer started to work, everything else is also working.

Guest the bishop

its odd. my MSIE works fine, all the things work fine except agile won't login to an acct i made on AIM for instance... sucks.

Guest schriss

Probably that's it, you need GPRS, not WAP which is very limited. Besides, with WAP you pay for time, not for amount of transfered data.

Guest markgamber

TMo free internet supports, at most, 5 or 6 ports, MSN Messenger's not being one of them. I think they're 80, 8080, pop3, imap4, 9201 and smtp. Ports are occasionally opened and closed depending on what they're doing at the moment but that's the basic list. For anything else, I think you need the full $20/mo internet turned on.

TMo supports two types of access, GPRS and CSD. GPRS is not the same as voice and if you don't have a free or unlimited account, it's measured in bytes. CSD is measured in time and uses your allotted minutes no matter what kind of internet account you have. As far as I know, all smartphones have GPRS and GPRS is faster than CSD so you should never have to (or want to) use CSD. WAP, HTTP, POP3 and all the rest of it are just protocols and don't really have anything to do with GPRS or CSD per se.

Guest emerica

Can't log in to MSN even using Agile Messenger....... dunno why.

I am currently subscribed to the Fido GPRS internet service with a $5/500KB plan. I don't understand what I should do to log in to MSN. Should I change any of my GPRS settings? Or should I do something else?

My internet explorer works but my MSN never work. MSN doesn't work even if I have connected my phone to the computer....

PLease somebody tell me what I should do to get my MSN messenger to work..

THX

Guest schriss

Guys, I forgot! Do you have Windows Mobile 2003 or 2002? I remember, that 2002 had old, incompatible version of MSN preinstalled. But Agile Messanger SHOULD work.

Guest pwest13

I have a similliar proble mto every1 here, Inet exploere works fine, but cant log in to msn with either MSN Messenger or Agile Messenger.

It really does sound like a port problem, when i had this problem with my last phone a rang up orange and eventually spoke 2 some1 who knew what GPRS and what a Orange SPV was who sent me the correct settings.

I can imaging my phone call now....."PLease cane i have the correct GPRS and MMS settings for the Mitac Mio 8390."

".....Eh??.."

Orange support, rofl.

Westy

Guest schriss

Never heard of any "special" GPRS settings... I use the same old settings for my Nokia, old SPV and Mio8390. All applications work. This problem must be Orange related...

Guest emerica

So it means that the inabiltiy of logging into MSN is related to the service provider....... changing any settings wouldn't help at all?

sigh........ :roll:

By the way, my phone is a mio 8390, Windows Mobile 2003.

Guest schriss

Same as mine: Mio8390, but ALL GPRS applications work with my provider.

Looks like some providers are blocking ports, that's not nice :?

Guest pwest13

Agile messenger has identified my problem which may be the same s every1 elses, this it the help it gave after failing to connect:

"Agile Messenger is unable to make a connection with the master server. This probably means that your GPRS Internet Acces Point is not configured correctly. If you are able to acces WAP and WWW sites from your phone but are unable to use Agile Messenger then you are attempting to use this software over a WAP connection. Agile Messenger does not work over a WAP connection. In order to access Instant Messaging Services from your mobile phone you must have access to full TCP/IP networking.

Please contact your mobile operator's helpdesk and ask for instructions on how to configure a GPRS Interent Access Point with full TCP/IP networking on your mobile phone."

Wow, now thats good help from freeware software, Microsofts Messenger just says "Can't connect."

What to do now tho....I seriously doubt ringing oraneg would help this problem as most of them dont understand all this talk of WAP n GPRS. ANy ideas how to get full access from my TCP/IP?

Thanks,

Westy

Guest martin
"Agile Messenger is unable to make a connection with the master server. This probably means that your GPRS Internet Acces Point is not configured correctly. If you are able to acces WAP and WWW sites from your phone but are unable to use Agile Messenger then you are attempting to use this software over a WAP connection. Agile Messenger does not work over a WAP connection. In order to access Instant Messaging Services from your mobile phone you must have access to full TCP/IP networking.

MSN messenger uses the Internet connection and not the WAP connection (in Data connections) unless its different on the MIO 8390 :?

With orange UK SIM you can attach either APN orangeinternet or APN orangewap to the Internet connection and MSN messenger should work.

If it doesn't work then try setting the internet connection to 'pass through' to use you PC modem as the data connection. If MSN messenger still fails then it's something to do with the phone or application.

I would try unticking 'Remember my password' and then re-entering the sign-in name (i.e [email protected]) and then the password again. Also check that you can login to Messenger using the same name/password from the PC application.

Maybe there is a problem with the MIO 8390 MSN messenger application. Do you know anyone who has got it working ?

[edit] I have just checked what I have as the server address for Messenger in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/MessengerService (values)

Server=messenger.hotmail.com;207.46.106.48:1863

Don't know if that will be any help.

Guest schriss

MSN WORKS on my Mio8390.

I think the problem is with GPRS settings, try setting APN to orangeinternet like martin suggests, but that's probably not enough (gateway, DNS, etc.), search for full Orange GPRS settings. I'm sure that's the only problem.

Guest martin
Whats APN?

I have VPN in connections settings but no settings wihtin that connection setting.

im soo confused

APN is short for Access Point Name (ie orangeinternet, orangewap, orangemms, etc) :D GSM uses a dialup and GPRS uses an APN. It's just called 'Access point' in the GPRS connection setup.

All you should really need for MSN messenger to work is to create a GPRS connection with Access point orangeinternet or orangewap and 'Connects to : The Internet' and then attach that GPRS connection to Internet connection in the Data connections Menu. That's it.

If you can surf the internet in IE with 'auto detect settings' ticked in Menu-Options-Connections then you probably already have this setup correctly.

Guest pwest13

Martin, you deserve a friggin medal.

You helped me out loads in the other forum and i am greatful as is every1 else in that forum!!

Thxs again m8y!

P.S For others with the same prob i had just make sure you have the correct settings in page 2 of the GPRS/MMS Repository forum!

Guest emerica

Can anyone provide a valid GPRS setting for FIDO which would enable MSN messenger plz

The one that I found on the GPRS/MMS forum is not working.... plz help