Cell Info / Cell Broadcast setting for Australia

Guest mitton

Guest mitton

I have finally figured out how to get the Cell Info information to display on the Home page on my XPhone. ROM 1.10.18.3

Cell info displays the name on the Cell your phone is connected to, usually the subrurb name, and is enabled on all carries in Australia.

The first thing to do is to enable broadcast channels:

1. Settings...Phone....Channels

3. Tick ENABLE channels

4. Menu...Edit Channels

5. Menu...Add

6. Give it a Discription e.g. Cell Info

7. Channel number: 50

8. Done...Done....Done...Done

Much to my surprise I discovered that the Windows Default Home page already had the plug-in for Cell Broadcast.

If you want to add the Cell Broadcast to your own Home Page insert the following code.

This plug-in seems to be very limited in how it is displayed. It takes up the entire line on the page, text left justified, and there doesn't seem to be a way of position the plug where required.

Has anybody else played around with the Cell Broadcast plug-in? Can the plug-in be displayed so that it doesn't take up the entire line? or positioned in a different location?

From reading this forum it seems that Cell Info isn't available to most of you as I haven't found a single homepage that incorporates this feature yet.

Guest exkewtable

thanks for that!

I have been trying to get that to work. Missing it from my old nokia.

I am modifying the Gnome skin I posted - it anyone is interested I can post the final result. Just changing the xml a bit, like getting rid of the today event and adding the cell broadcast thing now...

Guest nedge2k

I've always wondered what cell broadcast did but i could never get it to work :D How did you get the code? Be intresting to see whats available for the uk...

[EDIT]

I've just gone through the Windows .xml's on the I-Mate and Orange Roms for my E200 and there is no mention of the cooltext plugin. However, i did find the plugin in HKCRCLSID so i put it in my homescreen. Its acting like the plugin isnt there...does it only appear when a msg is received? I set the height to 160 so if anything does appear i wont miss it :D

[/EDIT]

Guest mitton
I've always wondered what cell broadcast did but i could never get it to work  How did you get the code? Be intresting to see whats available for the uk...  

I got the code from other posts in this forum but most of them used the line "" which didn't work on my Xphone. Once I changed it to "" things started to work.

The other that I missed early on was enabling the broadcast channel 50, I think I remember reading somewhere that channel 200 is used in Europe.

Guest nedge2k

I've got both running on my homescreen but neither seem to work. I've heard that Orange UK dont even support cell broadcasts which is ok for me as i'm now on O2 UK but i'm wondering if they do either? I also tried with my misus old Vodaphonee sim and that didnt work either. Might just be down to the codes tho...i'll email them :D

• 1 month later...
Guest HuskerDu
thanks for that post works great.  Has anyone worked out how to display it without taking up a whole line yet?

What channel number do you use?

Guest mitton
anyone know how to get it up and working for a SPV E200 in Australia!?  PLEASE! :)

I haven't ever used a SPV E200, but it I would think it would be the same settings as the Xphone.

sure - its the red marked area on the bottom of the screen - in my case it shows the area codes i get cheaper rates for calls. you can't modify the size or the layout of this plug in...

cheers, lutz

its channel 50 for vodafone germany. i saw a thread on MTekk forum saying that channel 50 works in australia too - otherwise try google for cell broadcast channels australia - it brings up some results...

cheers, lutz

on the E200 all you have is:

Settings, Phone, Channels,

Then you can "Enable Channels" and "Recieve Channel List" however after enabling both of those i still get no Cell Info.. there is no option for channel numbers :)

it is there buddy - do this:

start/settings/phone/channels/menu/edit channels/menu/new then activate channel/add a description/enter number (50)/done/done.

i run my phone in german so the menu wording may be different from what i wrote here. just check it out and let me know if it works for you - i had it run on my e200 too so it definitly works...

cheers, lutz

Guest mitton

This is the Windows Default home page for the O2 XPhone. This home page included the Cell Broadcast plugin.

With Channel 50, this displays the Cell name you are in, in this case Glasshouse (the name of the shopping center that I am in at the moment).

o2home.jpg

hi nedge - it is. it comes with the upcoming spb gprs monitor. i was beta tester so i already have version 1.0 running. i like the homescreen plug in. also it is cool because most of the available gprs tarrifs are pre installed and you only need to pick yours and get the right stats on your homescreen. pretty useful for someone like me who has 5 mb inclusive volume every month...

cheers, lutz

i did those settings Lutz.. however still not working for me.. could it be that the homescreen iam using is preventing me from seeing the cell info? (DrBlow Cobalt Theme)

well if you would share some infos about your phone/rom version i may be able to help... i guess much you have smartphone 2002 and then it does not work. but you tell me...

cheers, lutz

when i went 2 australia my sony ericsson t68 automatically picked up cell information, its was pretty cool when travelling hundreds of km's on the bus knowing where u are. :)