c500 rocks - and has a cool colour - thumbs up +++++++

Guest lutzh

:-) no problem!

i have sent mms and mails with pictures attached to my blog (see below). the specs say that the phone can handle two hours continousely gprs usage (not gprs availability but real usage). anyway i haven't seen anything draining my battery in normal use.

regarding games - i am not a smartphone gamer. on advice i've tried tokitori which fails because of a dangerousely flickering screen. seems like a couple of aim games don't work. i am only using the following games if i do gaming at all:

- eleven

- kasparov chess mate

- pocket minigolf

unlucky in my testing:

- tokitori

- aim chix

as mentioned before there will be a list quickly after that phone pops up in the stores - i don't have any more games because i really don't play on a palm size screen accept for jawbreaker in my cigarette breaks.

also i can't answer any questions regarding bluetooth headsets since i've found them not very sexy in my ear - paul will tell you more regarding this.

cheers, lutz

Guest revolution.cx
any questions that need to be answered before you go to next orange shop (or ebay)?

Have you paired this with a bluetooth keyboard?

Re: comments about WiFi:

I'm in the US with a flat rate for GPRS so wifi doesn't really matter. I can always use a bluetooth Internet connection in the house and I never bother with hotspots when out and about. In fact if this did have wifi I'd probably just leave it switched off.

Guest AngelOfRage

Just a quick question...

What colour is the keyboard back light?

mini sd with wifi will come out soon - give it a year ,-)

wouldn't a SDIO WiFi SD card be impossible due to the placment of the card on the phone?

Guest beersoft

[on topic] it looks lovely, and the wifey has agreed to get one asap

[less on topic]mcwarre has a good point, why cant my smartphone give me 'morning pleasure'? :P

[nowhere need the topic but needs to be said]there isn't much point with wifi on a handset, i can't see a good argument for having it on a smartphone, the closest you can get is "i need it for my "email push from exchange", which if your that important, the cost of the gprs shouldn't matter to you, but the cost of your battery going flat very quickly will.

and isn't 1 hours worth of hotspot time like 3 hours of constant gprs downloading?

later

Owen

Guest sebset

lutzh,

What about the sound quality from the earpiece? I read somewhere (in an UK magazine) that it isn't very good like with first SPV. For me this is essential to have a good sound quality because I work on a noisy environment.

Your feedback about this point?

thx

What colour is the keyboard back light?

blue.

regarding sound quality - there was an issue with the mpx220 but it was fixed already with the latest rom. i can't hear any problem at all with c500's sound quality...

cheers, lutz

ps: why needing a phone for 'morning pleasures' if you can get married???

pss: yeah the warning on the cigarrette pack is cool but dumb since i have two kids (proved to be mine by the colour of their eyes) and smoke like a heavy used gun...

Guest machiavell1

Hi Lutz. First time post here, and possibly first time smartphone buyer (although been a phone nut for too many years :P )

I was wondering if you could answer the following to help me:

How do you find the RF and speed of the OS on the C500 compared with the MPX220?

Also, the 220 looks quite large compared to the C500- is there much of a difference in use?

Thanks

Grass greener and all that, but is it me or is your life a tad bit good lutzh :wink:

I mean, Harley, C500 MPX220, kids, wife.... Next you'll be telling me your trading in the ol' Jeep for a Crossfire...

You see you do that and then I'm going to get mad :P

C500 looks a good device, now lets see what Orange can do in the short time they have left before the BIG boys come out to play... :D

good point keni but the crossfire is unfortunately not made for my wife, the kids, the dog and me. but its a very stylish car that i would love to have since its platform is the one of the mercedes sl just like the machine in my car is manufactured by mercedes (the 270 cdi with 400 nm, boy i love it...). and: i've sold the mpx220 ;-)

cheers, lutz

ps: if you asked if i miss something in my life i would need some minutes to think about.

Guest mar9118

Lucky Lutz :P

One thing you miss though ..... more sunshine and lovely beaches :wink:

Can't wait to have my c500, Qtek 8010, HTC Typhoon ... whatever :D

Guest mitsui

Lutz

Is is possible to let the c500 in your pocket (for ex. when you are driving a car) and make a phone call with a bluetooth headset. That means can you press a bottom on your bluetooth headset and then say then name you want to call?

Guest mitsui

Lutz

Is is possible to let the c500 in your pocket (for ex. when you are driving a car) and make a phone call with a bluetooth headset. That means can you press a bottom on your bluetooth headset and then say then name you want to call?

Guest www.msmobiles.com
there isn't much point with wifi on a handset, i can't see a good argument for having it on a smartphone, the closest you can get is "i need it for my "email push from exchange", which if your that important, the cost of the gprs shouldn't matter to you, but the cost of your battery going flat very quickly will.

and isn't 1 hours worth of hotspot time like 3 hours of constant gprs downloading?

later

Owen

well, HTC is working now on successor to C500 that has VGA display and Wi-Fi support and also all new Pocket PC phones have Wi-Fi support. Also Mitac's new smartphones will have Wi-Fi support. In many places using Wi-Fi is cheaper than GPRS - if not totally free. Unfortunately there is no flat rate GPRS in most (if not all?) provinces of EU, like it is in USA, but even in USA many people have Wi-Fi access free or cheap (like: combined Wi-Fi and GPRS plans in one) so having Wi-Fi, that is 10 times faster (at least) than GPRS is also useful.

having in mind latest technological advancements the battery drainage is not a problem. Conclusion: it must be Bluetooth AND Wi-Fi to make a cell phone a perfect phone...

--

posted over Wi-Fi from my Centrino Tablet PC.

Guest maxh2003
must be Bluetooth AND Wi-Fi to make a cell phone a perfect phone

I agree with that quote. If you like GPRS but hate the costs, you're going to love Wi-Fi... and it can only get better. It seems like every day that a new Wi-Fi hotspot appears somewhere near me.

The thing that makes me wonder is this. Orange, Hutchinson et al are investing huge amounts in 3G. They plan to make all this cash back by selling expensive on-line services (OK, they're cheap atm, but just you wait...!) If phones have wi-fi, then surely that will massively cut the cash that Orange et al can make off the back of 3G data calls. Hell, you might even be able to make your phone calls using Wi-Fi and something like Skype (already perfectly possible on PocketPC), so they might even miss out on some voice call revenue too!

So, if you were Orange, would *you* offer a 3G phone with Wi-Fi? The networks are very powerful when it comes to specifying what phones they will, and won't, carry... and the thing that seems to delight Orange about their signature phones is the increased monthly spend on data calls...

Also let it not be forgotten that 3G coverage in the UK is, at the moment, confined to major conurbations (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - exactly the sorts of places where you might well find free Wi-Fi. In fact, Bristol has free wi-fi if I read this correctly -> http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3...1280760,00.html <- can't Sheffield be next? :-D :-D :-D

Guest efission

Sheffield hasn't even got a Starbucks (Meadowhall doesn't count), so its got no chance of getting a good WiFi network.

Except of course if you are a lazy student like me, we get free WiFi whenever we are near or in a Shef Uni owned building (seems like almost everywhere).

Guest maxh2003

Getting OT here, but the reason Sheffield doesn't have a Starbucks is that we don't want one - warning, this link might not be safe for work -> http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/she.../07/295228.html

And anyway the Wi-Fi explosion is happening even faster than the Premium Coffee explosion. At this rate even Swansea will get city-wide Wi-Fi soon ;-)

Meadowhall doesn't count

- this is broadly true in any sensible discussion :-D

Getting back on topic, the only thing drawing me towards this phone is its battery life. That seems to me to be the *real* revolution. Hopefully the battery problems are fixed for good and thus on future phones we can all look forward to 48+ hrs with Bluetooth in discoverable mode and Wi-Fi enabled!

Guest foxy11

wow another two residents of sheffield... what u studying efission??? im employed by sheff uni :P

WIFI would indeed be good, but at this stage I dont think its really needed yet.