Pauls C500 Review - Updated 12/08 23:45

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest foxy11

i thought it would just be a cop out answer to keep me happy as they hadnt delivered on the dates they said :P, I just wondered if there was a remote chance they were holding off till a s/w update was available. /me waits patiently

Guest kevlar
I can't understand why people don't just buy a game boy if they want to play games!!!  

The thing is I wouldn't go anywhere without my mobile phone, fancy a quick game? it's there with you. I seem to be carrying 3 things wherever I go, my phone, my wallet and the case with the front of my Alpine car stereo in. I don't want to carry a 4th item ( gameboy ) as small as it is. It's the same with music, we moan about the shortfalls of media player and someone says ' get an mp3 player '. No, it's a convergence device, so make it work properly!

just my opinion :P

Kevlar

Guest drblow
Nice, thorough review m8! I might even be forced to get one now just to see what the fuss is about!  :P  Although, how on earth a release version can make it to the stores with such a massive bug that prevents you from playing games is beyond me.  

I take it from the fact that there is no mention of SD card problems, that there are none?  Does that mean that cards which you previously had problems with on an e200, now work OK in C500?

:oops: Yes, of course I forgot that the C500 takes the mini SD cards.

Guest Blakey

Phoned 150 (upgrades) this morning. A very confused sounding woman said that they had no prices for upgrades yet as the phone was not out and she had no idea when it was due. She said as far as she knew it was due in August. She said to check the web page for "update my phone" and see when it comes on there.

Not yet, is the answer. :-)

Blakey

P.S. I still say it won't be out till September. :-)

P.P.S. And even though I bought my E200 in June and have a year's contract and even though it's gonna cost me a fortune, and even though I should wait and see if people here think its any good when its released..... I just know I'll upgrade as soon as it's available. :-)

Paul, great review, much appreciated.

I have a question about the new orange homescreen which I love. I assume it works very quickly because of the speed of the phone, is this the case? (I always thought the orange homescreen on my E200 had slight delays)

Also, if you have an appointment does it show on the homescreen at all times or do you have to go down to calender plugin to see it?

Guest Taoski
"]That's right, a Java Engine is included - the intent Java MIDlet Manager from Tao Group.

Hooray! My name in lights at last! :P

I knew i had a place in SPV history somewhere....

Great review Paul - keeping up the good work as always..

Hope this phone comes as PAYG soon..... almost worth selling my Nokia 3400 for :wink:

Guest stevekay

Paul very kindly sent me a copy of the T9 database that is on his C500...

The bad news is that my T9 Editor will NOT work with the C500 as it has adopted the QTEK version of the T9 database.

I've been trying to crack the format of this file for months with no luck as it is a very strange way of storing the words - In my opinion the E200 version is a lot better because a) you have 4K's worth of space, and :P the method for storing the words seems more efficient !!!

There is a CDB file (t9AW.cdb) that gets stored as well which just seems to have all the text that you entered in SMS, email (any text entry in fact). I can only guess that there is a process that picks this file up and dumps new words into the udb file, hence why the new words are not picked up on the fly.

Steve

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have a GBA SP, but there are plenty of situations where I want to play a game (generally just for a few minutes) and have only my phone on me.

I think this is probably a very common scenario...

P

I can't understand why people don't just buy a game boy if they want to play games!!!

Guest Paul [MVP]

Not sure about the calendar situation, but the speed is fine, albeit not blistering.

I think most users will probably switch homescreen!

P

Paul, great review, much appreciated.  

I have a question about the new orange homescreen which I love.  I assume it works very quickly because of the speed of the phone, is this the case? (I always thought the orange homescreen on my E200 had slight delays)  

Also, if you have an appointment does it show on the homescreen at all times or do you have to go down to calender plugin to see it?

Guest MPXtricky

I played that there AVI clip and the sound quality of Comedy Dave and Moyles banging on about exams is pretty damned fine. This mobile looks like a cracking bit of kit and if marketed properly, it could seriously kick some arse. I just gotta hold out til Christmas when I'm due for an upgrade :P(

Dickers

ok, so about 3 months into my contract with orange for the E200...

Any idea how much it would cost to upgrade to the C500? Can't say I like the E200 at all, and probally willing to pay about £100 to upgrade...

Guest drblow
"]Woo, the E200 homescreen DOES work on the C500, albeit with slightly different icons - see screenshot below!

P

That should mean that the problem with the message shortcut only accessing the menu should be easily remedied by tweaking the keyclicks in the xml! :P

Guest Monolithix [MVP]
i dont belive so the c500 has a usb port on it not serial

Hmm, actually i believe its a fairly simple mod to make your e200/e100 cradle c500 compliant.

I've modded my e100 cradle to charge and sync and as i remember the cable is a bog standard mini-usb with a small pcb re-routing connections to the relevant pins on the serial port. So in theory it should be possible to just remove the PCB, fasten the mini-usb in the cradle pointing up and hey, presto, a c500 cradle!

Guest jason76

orderd this phone about a week ago got to have it bugs and all ,its simply the dogs bollocks :P , can some one tell me hows the speaker with music any buzzing like the e200, and will it cook my tea :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.