ActiveSync over Bluetooth - any clues?

Guest I. C. Monsters

Guest judgejules

Hi All,

I too am having a total nightmare at getting my new SPV C500 set up and running over BT. After uninstalling WinXP SP2 and going back to the old WIDCOMM drivers I have managed to get a serial port, dial up and headset visable on my PC. I've been able to connect the headset and get phone sound through my pc, which is nice! I've got the serial port connected, but I've not been able to sync.

I think the problem lies on the phone, in the ActiveSync menu "Options" -> PC Settings -> Advanced (from the menu) there is an option called "Enable PC sync using this connection type"

In the drop down list there are the following entries:

`USB

`19200

`115200

`57600

`USB

However there isnt an entry for `Bluetooth

Now, I've seen this setting in there once before, early yesterday when I was first trying to get this all working (but with wrong drivers).

My question would be, does anyone know how to get Bluetooth back in that list? I think this is the problem, as ActiveSync doesnt know to sync using BT when its connected. Thus, when I hit the "Connect via Bluetooth" option ActiveSync just sits there going, durr USB isnt connected...

Help!

Thanks in advance,

Jules

PS. I'm using a Logitech Bluetooth hub that comes with my diNovo keyboard/mouse. Yes I think it does support the serial stack, as its not showing up as a MS driver. I also have a Belkin Bluetooth Adaptor sitting by the side of my PC should all this fail.

Guest SeaneyC
Hi All,

I think the problem lies on the phone, in the ActiveSync menu "Options" -> PC Settings -> Advanced (from the menu) there is an option called "Enable PC sync using this connection type"

In the drop down list there are the following entries:

`USB

`19200

`115200

`57600

`USB

However there isnt an entry for `Bluetooth

Now, I've seen this setting in there once before, early yesterday when I was first trying to get this all working (but with wrong drivers).

My question would be, does anyone know how to get Bluetooth back in that list? I think this is the problem, as ActiveSync doesnt know to sync using BT when its connected. Thus, when I hit the "Connect via Bluetooth" option ActiveSync just sits there going, durr USB isnt connected...

Help!

Thanks in advance,

Jules

There isn't a setting for bluetooth in my advanced settings and it connects just fine..... are you running the "Setup BT activesync" before trying to "connect via bluetooth"?

Guest judgejules
There isn't a setting for bluetooth in my advanced settings and it connects just fine..... are you running the "Setup BT activesync" before trying to "connect via bluetooth"?

Hmmm. Yeah I must have clicked that link a hundred times :)

It goes to the "press Start soft key to setup", I press Start, it says "Please bond with other Bluetooth device which support serial port or ActiveSync profile as your ActiveSync partner!"

I press OK, it goes to the bluetooth seup screen (where I have it set to On).

I've already paired the device etc, do I just hit done three times and I end up back at the ActiveSync screen, none the wiser :P

I've tried all the above with and without "Serial Port COM6 on SPV_C500" connected on my PC.

What do you have your advanced setting set to? Is the tick On ? if so do you have USB selected or something else?

Thanks

Jules

Guest Dr Who

My advice is having set your phone bluetooth to discoverable and then let the PC and phone discover each other. In activesync under connection settings make sure that connect via serial port/IR tab is ticked. Open activesync on the PC (right click on tray icon and open active sync) and go to File - Connect and activesync on your PC then scans through EVERY port on the PC to find one open. When it gets to the bluetooth port that your phone is communicating on it WILL connect. I hope.

Guest legalbeagle

Except that when Activsync on laptop, searching through ports on "FileGet Connected" option, gets to the designated, paired and connected serial port, my BT connection is mysteriously broken and Activsync on my PC cannot find an MS Smartphone...

This is very frustrating.

Guest Dr Who

I would make sure that you haven't already connected the serial port, via My Bluetooth Places or anything like that otherwise the port you are communicating on may already be in use. Literally reboot the PC and reboot the phone (with the bluetooth off). Make sure the PC bluetooth is on, turn the phone bluetooth to discoverable, wait 10 seconds for the connection to take and then run activesync get connected on the PC. Hope that works.

Guest jimbouk

don't know if i'm lucky but mine connected first time!

I had countless problems doing this with E200's. I had six of them over the last 9 months and got used to having to persevere to get BT syncing....

But Monday night I went into bluetooth settings, where there a check box to set up BT active sync. I then let the phone discover the laptop and then went to active sync, and selected sync over BT and hey presto - the laptop came up with a prompt saying that c500 was trying to access serial port and i clicked Ok and it worked!

Maybe it was down to the serial ports being set up for e200 correctly last time?

Guest Dr Who

Interesting Jimbouk - I have always tried the other way round, i.e. getting the laptop to see the phone and trying from that end. Maybe it is easier doing it the way you describe?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest charlbury

After reading through this thread I now have my C500 connecting to activesync BUT it never synchronises. The progress bar appears briefly on the C500 display but it does not show any progress and only stays there for a second.

The connection then drops and I don;t get any synchronisation.

Any suggestions?????

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sjalloq

Wow, that wan't easy. Just taken me 2 hours out of my morning. In the end, I needed to make sure that the comm port in the ActiveSync 'Connection Settings' matched the value assigned when you installed your bluetooth software.

In my case I'm using a D-Link device with the widcomm driver and it uses comm port 3. If you go to 'Advanced Configuration' by right clicking on the little Bluetooth logo then you can find which comm port is used. I think the thing that confused me was the fact that I could connect and pair using the serial port settings that I had, but when running ActiveSync, it just sat there and told me that it couldn't find my device and I should plug in the cable! :? I eventually changed my ActiveSync comm port to 3 as well and it then connected and allowed me to sync.

Finally!

Guest Confucious

I had no problems with Activesync over BT - I found it on of the easiest devices I've used tio do so! I just made sure the phone was not paired then in ActiveSync on the phone took the option to connect via BT and followed the instruction.

A few points:

1)Activesync should be strated from the phone (not the PC)

2)If you reboot the PC make sure BT is OFF on the phone (if it's turned On the phone does not get recognised

3)Make sure BT is turned on on the ophone when trying to connect (I know it sounds obcious but mine seems to turn utself off sometimes so it errors)

4)SP2 -Aaaarghhhhhh! (sorry) Known to cause problems with Belkin BT dongles so I assume it will cause problems with others. I don't know of anyone that has installed it who has not un-installed it later when they realise what problems it causes. Just my experience, it might have nothing to do with it, just funny how often SP2 seems to get mentioned.

HTH

Good luck

Guest Doombrain

i'm using a TDK dongel on XP Pro SP1, SP2 and win2000 SP4. i've had no issues setting this up. i think where people are falling down is telling the PC which COM port to use for BT

Im having no joy at all, hope someone can help, i can send files via the pc and i can use the c500 as a gprs modem over bluetooth yet i cant get it working via activsync.

Im using the built in bluetooth on a sony vaio and have winxp sp2 - the devices are paired. I really dont know where im going wrong. Do I actually have 2 enure I have connected via usb and crated a partnership before I can connect via bt or can I create a partnerhip over bt?

Thanx in advance for any help.

aaah that would explain alot - ive disabled the firewall but i didnt know there was an issue with sp2. Appreciate the responce - does anyone have any idea of when a version of active sync with sp2 work arround will be released?

Guest Confucious
aaah that would explain alot - ive disabled the firewall but i didnt know there was an issue with sp2. Appreciate the responce - does anyone have any idea of when a version of active sync with sp2 work arround will be released?

Does anyone have any idea of when a version of SP2 which doesn't kill 9/10 PC's will be released ^_^

• 1 month later...
Guest anestors

I confirm

Sony Vaio (TR1MP) with built in bluetooth

Running XP SP2

Orange SPV C500 smartphone

COM5 set up (Inbound) using the bluetooth setup icon

Can pair devices and use C500 as modem over bluetooth ok, took 2 mins to get this working

Cannot activesync running over BT though - I've tried every method described on this board

Is it XP SP 2 ? Or is it me ?

(I get the message saying "please bond with other bluetooth device which supports serial port or activesync profile as your activesync partner")

AN.

Guest Confucious

It's you :(

This subject has been done to death. Have you read http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...th+sp2&start=30 and http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...t=bluetooth+sp2 or http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...t=bluetooth+sp2 for starters.

If you still have problems let us know what you've got and what error you are getting and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

SP2 certainly doesn't make it easy and there are so many places it can go wrong it seems to be different for everyone but I think most bases have been covered in previous threads.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Ignore message about bond with BT device - it is advice not a warning. Appalling design, basically. So bad that I ended up spending 2 days of shouting at my laptop trying to reinstall my widcomm BT drivers, SP2 having replaced them with MS drivers which I assumed were shash. Having succeeded I found the problem was with the message on the phone. Having got this message, go to activesync on the phone and select menu, connect via BT. No doubt you will encounter a new problem but at least you will be back on the path to enlightenment.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gavboy

This is driving me crazy! I've got a C500 and I've been trying to use activesync over BT. I've gone through all the advice on these posts and just can't get it to work.

My main problem seems to be that my Local Options tab shows that the BT Serial port is on Com 10, but my only options on Active Sync are Ports 1 and 3 and USB and IR. I am not able to select any other ports.

Anyone come across this?

in you local services try adding a serial port, call it active sync for the sake of these purposes.

If the port assigned is not one available in activeshync's serila port listing uninstall and reinstall.. hopefully this time that port should become available.

then follow all the other suggestions and hopefully things should work this time

rgds

jim

Guest gavboy

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried that and it only gives me port numbers above 10. Already tried reinstalling with no success.

Am about to give up and take my dongle back.

Guest gavboy

Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried that and it only gives me port numbers above 10. Already tried reinstalling with no success.

Am about to give up and take my dongle back.