Dust on the screen

Guest mcolbeck

Guest unclelimey

i too have a ton of dust appearing behing the screen, not happy, ive only had the phone since last thursday

i dont work in a dusty area , and i never had a problem with my spv classic or spv e200

:roll:

Guest inspectorgadjet

My theory is that the speaker holes are not covered with a mesh or anything to stop dust getting in, so dust is getting under the screen from those openings.

Guest unclelimey
My theory is that the speaker holes are not covered with a mesh or anything to stop dust getting in, so dust is getting under the screen from those openings.

my dust seems to be coming in from the sides, via the vol up/down on the left and the camera button on the right

Guest ajfoggy

Iv'e just had a check of mine and it seems fine at the moment, only had it since last Friday though. But I have still got the plastic on the screen as well.

Guest unclelimey

there is now twice as much dust behind the screen as there was when i posted this morning

this does not bode well for the c500

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Phil Lee

Just noticed 2 tiny particles of dust at the top middle of the screen on my C500, just to the left of the G. They are hardly noticeable but obviously if the amount of dust builds up I will be asking Orange for a replacement.

Guest bosshogg
Just noticed 2 tiny particles of dust at the top middle of the screen on my C500, just to the left of the G. They are hardly noticeable but obviously if the amount of dust builds up I will be asking Orange for a replacement.

That's exactly where I have a couple of bits too. I had real problems with this on my spv mk1 - I didn't have orange care with that handset and O refused to replace it :x so this time I have Care, and this will be going back if it gets any worse.

Guest dshaugney

I just noticed dust near the volume keys....not happy about that at all. Why didn't they add a protective membrane behind the keys? Anyway O doesn't replace handsets because of dust any more. Or at least that is what I read on modaco a while ago.

Guest Phil Lee

Dust behind the screen after 1 week of use means that the phone isn't fit for purpose. Consequently it can be rejected and has to be replaced under consumer laws in the UK.

Guest bosshogg
Dust behind the screen after 1 week of use means that the phone isn't fit for purpose. Consequently it can be rejected and has to be replaced under consumer laws in the UK.

If I remember the last time I argued that with CS, I got something like "well you can still make calls, therefore it's not faulty"!

Guest Phil Lee

If I remember the last time I argued that with CS, I got something like "well you can still make calls, therefore it's not faulty"!

But if you can't see the screen properly then you can't make calls...

Guest bosshogg
wow, that would have to be a huge amount of dust to not see the screen hehe :)

mid you should see my spv - about 1cm high stripe of dust at the bottom of the screen. You really can't see through it in daylight!

Guest zeta101

lol i dont think how careful you are matters...i mean its dust, its not something you can control really.

I think its very cheeky and petty of orange to market a SMARTphone with a big colour screen and when the screen becomes defective they will turn around and say things like "you can still make calls with it"...if that person just wanted to make calls they wouldnt buy a SMARTphone would they.

If it happens to my c500 anytime soon (ie first 28 days of purchase) its going back to the orangeshop, cos i seriously doubt they would have the cheek to try and get out of giving me a replacement, its different when youre on the end of a phone.

btw, it seems a very strange problem, the screen is so close to the front its hard to imagine how the screen is exposed. I cant see any light leaking through the speaker or the volume button (but you can see the light leakage from the blinking LED through the volume control.

Guest Phil Lee

I rang up OCS last night to see what they had to say about the dust since I wanted to get on record that I'd reported a problem within 7 days of having the phone. The woman I spoke to said that it wasn't a known handset problem. This sin't surprising since the handset is so new. She said that it would be noted as a known handset problem if enough people rang up and reported the issue. She said that if it was a known problem then they'd give the option to replace the phone for a different model. Of course I don't want to do this since it's a fantastic phone. She then said that if the dust was affecting the operation of the phone then it would be replaced. She suggested that I monitor the situation and if it gets worse to call back. She also said that the phone would be replaced free of charge within 28 days if the problem got worse and I wouldn't get an Orange Care Incident (ie no excess). I asked her to record that on my account and left it at that.

Guest unclelimey

im on my second handset... i had the first one replaced because of the dust, now the replacement has dust in it..

this is not good

Posted from my dusty SmartPhone!