Poor Orange GPRS connection

Guest Pagemakers

Guest Pagemakers

Ever since I had my original SPV, through to the e100, e200 and now c500 connecting to the Orange GPRS service is VERY hit and miss.

About 50% of the time my phone just sticks on the 'connecting' screen forever. I either have to reboot, disconnect GPRS or go airplane mode off/on, but even then it is not a guaranteed thing that it will connect to GPRS next time.

I poll my email account every 30 minutes and even with the 'always on' gprs tweak, it is still a pain in the bum.

I am sick of reporting the problem to Orange.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Does this problem exist with other providers?

Guest Phil Lee

I've had no problem in the Greater Manchester area myself, specifically in Sale and Knutsford. I had problems on Sunday and Monday with GPRS not connecting at all in the Hartlepool area.

Guest rhaleuk

I live in a relatively rural village, but only 3 or 4 miles from a large town and GPRS (and voice) coverage is pretty awfull. I cant connect to GPRS in the dining room EVER. However when I visit friends in the town it is 80% better. Im learning to live with it and I figure my next phone will have wi-fi so I guess Orange will loose out that way!

Guest Pagemakers

I live in Manchester and travel all over the UK on a weekly basis.

No matter how good the signal strength is, connecting to GPRS is always hit and miss.

If I try to connect 10 times it will work first time on only about 5 occasions.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest jmrecanize

My c500 has sort of the same problem. It nver has a problem when connecting in internet explorer, connects every time. MSN messenger is hit n miss with it working 1 out of every 2 times. However email has not worked once for me yet. It just hangs on "connecting...".

I have the same email problem with my c500. It does not seem to want to connect to my mail at imap.orange.nl. It is just stuck in connecting... and after a while I get the message that the server for the incoming mail could not be reached.

Guest carl_donaldson

Ive been on to Orange twice about this - both times they have said remove the battery with the phone turned on - leave it for a good minute then put bat back in and turn on. Give them there dues it works but it is a pain in the ar@e. They told me thats all they can do.

both times they have said remove the battery with the phone turned on - leave it for a good minute then put bat back in and turn on.  Give them there dues it works but it is a pain in the ar@e.

Tried that, but it is still not working for me. I do have access to Orange World via GPRS and I can get information from there but when I try to read my email at Orange World (via the phone) I get a message that the page can not be reached. But that was the same as before the battery trick.

Looking a bit further I notice that I also can not reach google. So I CAN reach Orange World pages but I can NOT reach internet pages.

Guest Pagemakers
Similar problem - spoke to orange and yes there is a problem - should be fixed by tomorrow they said

regards

Stu

I have had this GPRS conneting problem since I had my original SPV years ago. I doubt very much if it will be fixed by tomorrow.

Guest steve_smith

Yeah, GPRS was up until today working fine for me, but I currently cannot connect to anything.

Thought it was just me, but glad I'm not the only one!

Steve.

Guest dreamweavel
Is the GPRS http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>tweak just in built? Only I can't see any option related to it in the menus.

What effect should the http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>tweak have?

Thanks in advance

You're right - no option in this prog to maintain GPRS connection...

I used to use a prog called Smartease Shell-Orange to do this on my E200 but dunno if it'll work on the C500 - i guess it just alters some reg entry but don't know which.

Guest Pagemakers

Oops I posted the wrong tweak earlier in this topic but I see the correct one has how been posted. Sorry!

EDIT: Correct file now uploaded

Posted from my SmartPhone!

• 3 months later...
Guest intastella

I've been having the same problem with the c500 and Orange GPRS. Making a connection is very flaky and unreliable. I have to keep taking the battery out and re-booting which is fast becoming tiresome.

I've called Orange wireless about 4 times about this and they don't seem to think it's a problem, they just keep telling me to take the battery out. Which is frustrating.

How do we let them know they need to put some engineer on the case about this?

i