Movies on the C500... WOW

Guest simonbratt99

Guest nigelpwilson_UK

Hi there,

I have followed the instructions listed above and have managed to put a few films onto my memory card, but I have the directors comentary as well - how do I get rid of this, I've tried everything!!

Thanks

Hi there,  

I have followed the instructions listed above and have managed to put a few films onto my memory card, but I have the directors comentary as well - how do I get rid of this, I've tried everything!!

Thanks

This must have been copied this over when you extracted the movie. I use DVD decrpter and in IFO mode I usually select 0xE-Video and 0x8 Audio only in the Stream Processing options (untick everything else).

There should be a Audio stream with commentary and a stream without comentary, and probably some other streams in different languages. Just make sure that 0x8 is the one without comentary (it usually is).

Guest ixus_123

I want in on this thread :)

I've just ripped BBC2's Coupling series 1 (>30mb an episode) & the film Hackers both at 176 pixels wide. Hight is set automatically depending what the frame size is after the black bars are chopped off. Hackers came out at 80mb with 40kbps mp3 stereo sound. The video is mpeg4 (ffmepeg).

Just waiting for my memeory card & reader to come so I can test it on the phone. I hope both the video & audio tracks play

... I'll update when the postman brings me boxes

Utterly stunned by the quality of the initial Spiderman movie poster 8)  I can only imagine how good the higher quality file must be...

Well here is short clip :lol: (cropped and clipped)

I have only set the Video quality value to 40 here but I have also tested quality settings 60 and 80 but the file size gets very large it's probably not worth it.

I usually set Betaplayer settings to the following.

Options-Settings-Select Page-Player, change Normal buffer size to 2048KB

Options-Settings-Select Page-Colors, Select reset (default)

Options-Settings-Select Page-Advanced, change Manual A/V offset to -270

Options-Video-Video Driver, change to GDI (to eliminate GAPI problem)

File-View-Zoom, Select 100%

Hope you like it :)

Guest Exploited
I've just ripped BBC2's Coupling series 1 (>30mb an episode) & the film Hackers both at 176 pixels wide.

Why at 176 pixels wide? BetaPlayer plays movies sideways on the screen at 220 pixels wide.

I'm also waiting for my first extra memory-card, but I've done some cutting-up of clips with VirtualDub and encoding with PocketDivXEncoder and the results of these 1-2 minute clips is stunning.

So far I've decided on video & audio-setting at 4 for reasonable file-size and stereon sound. Encoding at 2x pass, XviD, OGG with a maximum setting of 220x176 pixels. I've test-encoded Star Wars - The Empire Strikes back and that took about 30 minutes on my machine - about 200 MB.

Guest willhopk

I need some advide on video playback!! ....

i've tried several videos, including ones downloaded off this forum which others have had no problems with. Every time I play a video the playback is jerky. When played in full screen the video hangs completely but the sound continues. I tried following the advide on this thread involving betapayer settings but still no joy.

Can anyone help!!

Guest Exploited
I need some advide on video playback!! ....  

i've tried several videos, including ones downloaded off this forum which others have had no problems with. Every time I play a video the playback is jerky. When played in full screen the video hangs completely but the sound continues. I tried following the advide on this thread involving betapayer settings but still no joy.  

Can anyone help!!

What version of Betaplayer are you using? Have you tried encoding movies yourself? With PocketDivXEncoder?

I've played many trailers and scenes I cut from movies and encoded myself (as I don't have the expansion-card I orderd a week ago yet). All play perfectly.

I'm using BetaPlayer Version 0.04

I think it might be caused by the C500 GAPI problem rather then the Betaplayer itself (it happens to me too). In Betaplayer go to Options-Video-Video Driver and change it to GDI. This should stop the Video display problem.

The film shouldn't be choppy on the C500 though :? Have you coded the video correctly for the smartphone ?

That Gladiator trailer was stunning - just a pity the phone screen isn't in a 14/9 format :)

Getting back to an earlier question posted - how does the battery cope with a full length movie being played? Would love to know if anybody has tested yet....

Guest ixus_123
Why at 176 pixels wide? BetaPlayer plays movies sideways on the screen at 220 pixels wide.

I'm also waiting for my first extra memory-card, but I've done some cutting-up of clips with VirtualDub and encoding with PocketDivXEncoder and the results of these 1-2 minute clips is stunning.

So far I've decided on video & audio-setting at 4 for reasonable file-size and stereon sound. Encoding at 2x pass, XviD, OGG with a maximum setting of 220x176 pixels. I've test-encoded Star Wars - The Empire Strikes back and that took about 30 minutes on my machine - about 200 MB.

Well I wanted to make it easy to play & I thought it would scale up okay if flipped to sideways view. My Apple iBook @ 366mhz struggles playing any of my ripped files over 330pixels wide so I am curios to see how the 200mhz arm processor copes.

Does the c500 handle ogg files? Although I have the codec installed I can't seem to rip with it so I'm sticking with mp3.

Unfortunately I still cant test my movies as my miniSD hasn't arrived. I have cancelled my order & found another company...

I've bought the DVD-Smartphoine and used it to convert loads of dvds. It has never given a major problem to me at all, it just won't play 2 files one after each other properly unles you use task master to close the application and then open it again and load the file.

I have put ICE AGE and it took 76MB, Blade runner took 112MB, so I can fit 3 FULL MOVIES on my 256MB mini sd card!!!.  Sound and video playback are amazing, it plays it sideways too utilising the screen better.  It even fast forwards frame by frame if you want.

I thoroughly recomend it and have convinved many people to dump their brand new nokias!.

Having said that, even my old oroginal SPV beats the 6230 Nokia hands down and it's three models and 3 years old!!!!!!!

I USE dvd-Smartphone but find the final film quality is jerky due to low frame rates of 15-20fps. I Emailed the software owner/designer and eventually from conversations on this issue it seemed that this is normal. Don't use this program if you are prone to fits induced by flickering lights or movies. :wink:

I am trying to find something better, I have just downloaded the new I-Robots trailer which is faultless on my C500 and takes up around 4-5mb of memory, how can I produce the same quality for my phone?????? Memory isn't an issue, just ordered a 512mb mini SD from UK supplier for £58 delivered. :)

Guest picard_beta
Options-Settings-Select Page-Player, change Normal buffer size to 2048KB

Options-Settings-Select Page-Colors, Select reset  

Options-Settings-Select Page-Advanced, change Manual A/V offset to -250

File-View-Zoom, Select 100%

could you test to reinstall the player and check these settings one by one? i think buffer size could have the most effect, because color settings should not cause slow down, manual a/v is only shifting the audio/video sync, but should not effect speed and frame dropping, 100% should have no effect either if the video is already scaled to the smartphone size (but it will have an effect if the player has to scale a non SP sized video with 'fit screen' default settings)

Can someone please create and post a link to an overall guide to ripping, converting and transfering movies to the C500?

This would be very helpful indeed. Also what the preferred toolset used was, and what the ripped settings used were.

Thanks,

Pete.

Guest Exploited

I wanted to test a scene that was really murky to see how the C500 copes with those so I cut out a short clip from "Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back" (using VirtualDub).

Then I used PocketDivXEncoder with these settings:

Video Quality: 4 (136kbps)

Audio Quality: 4 (16bits/Stereo/64kbps)

Brightness at 6% - the rest at 0%

Output dimensions at 220x176 (max)

2-pass encoding, FrameRate 20fps, OGG Audio Stream - I can't remember if I also checked XviD - probably did.

StarWars II (excerpt).rar

DVDPETE

For just a couple of pounds you can get a piece of software that does all the hard work. It's called DVDtoSmartphone and you just put the DVD in the drive and in a hour a file (usually less than 100mb) is put onto your computer desktop. Copy this via active sync to your storage card and a program called BetaPlayer (which is loaded automatically when you install thier software) will play it superbly.

Simple.

Otherwise,

you'll have a download a CSS decoder (removes the copy protect from DVD's) then rip the DVD, then figure out which files you'll need (which isn't easy when you know squat diddly) then you need...this and that, then you tweek this and tweek that and then drop this and ..... you get the picture?

Hope this helps

Steve

I'm prepared to bashed by the those in thge know, but for us Layman, this is the best option.

I have tried a few rippers on different drives and computers and they always fail to rip. DVDDecrypter gives an I/O error on all of them... I am a bit wary of buying commercial software only to run intot he same problem :)

Thanks Steve!

I already do ripping and use AnyDVD and DVDShrink to get my VOB files.

What I was after was what tools you guys use to take the ripped vobs and convert them to divx, wma, or mpg4. What format provides the best level of compression without compromising quality too much?

Pete