Co-Pilot GPS Navigational software review by phil-t

Guest awarner

Guest venomgames

Got this yesterday, very impressed so far- although worryingly about 10 minutes after starting to use it it did tell me to bear left to turn off a road when in fact you have to go right in this instance, but other than that its been great, spotting a wrong turn or change of plan within a few yards, then in about 10 seconds recalculating a route for you- very impressive.

Need a decent mobile holder in my car now- anyone got a good suggestion that allows full access to the keypad and keeps the phone nicely in your line of site? Using a C500

Peter

Guest leo-balou

I use the motorola universal holder - does the job for me.

http://www.i2020.co.uk/p778/universal_in-c...c100.htm?ref=11

I am also using the Copilot smartphone software and generally like it. It has however told me to turn left when I should have been turing right - the map also indicated that I should be turning right?? Fortunately it was into the street where I live so it did not get me lost!!

Guest Paul [MVP]

As an aside... CoPilot is now available in the MoDaCo Shop.

Rob, I hope to have a full comparative review featuring CoPilot, TomTom, Mapopolis and the as-yet-unnamed Orange solution - as soon as TomTom are kind enough to reply to my e-mails.... :-|

P

"]As an aside... CoPilot is now available in the MoDaCo Shop.

Rob, I hope to have a full comparative review featuring CoPilot, TomTom, Mapopolis and the as-yet-unnamed Orange solution - as soon as TomTom are kind enough to reply to my e-mails.... :-|

P

Perhaps they are scared :wink:

Rik

Guest spacerace
"]As an aside... CoPilot is now available in the MoDaCo Shop.

P

Am interested in buying this.

Have looked in the MoDaCo shop however the version there seems to be one specific GPS unit. On globalpositioningsystems.co.uk they are offering a choice of 5 different units. Is there one that is better than the others ? There's no change in the price by selecting different ones but I wondered if some took regular rechargeables as opposed to custom batteries ?

The furtuna receiver is the only one I've come across that has a replaceable battery.

rikwebb has stated, in the link he has provided, that he has owned the same receiver that is supplied with the Co-Pilot kit (Emtac, which doesn't have a removable battery), and has performed well for the two years he has owned it (8 hours battery life).

Guest spacerace

yes I see that. but the CoPilot kit now comes with a choice of 5 different GPS units, hence I was asking if anyone had any particular views on one being better than the others.

none of the ones shown are described as 'Emtac' so I don't know if the one he received is no longer supplied or merely rebadged...

I'm also interested to see which one the MoDaCo kit comes with as it merely states "BT GPS receiver"

yes I see that. but the CoPilot kit now comes with a choice of 5 different GPS units, hence I was asking if anyone had any particular views on one being better than the others.

none of the ones shown are described as 'Emtac' so I don't know if the one he received is no longer supplied or merely rebadged...

I'm also interested to see which one the MoDaCo kit comes with as it merely states "BT GPS receiver"

Copilot only comes with a choice from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk this is because they are putting together bundles.

The official Copilot bundle is supplied with a CoPilot branded GPS, which is a rebadged Emtac.

The link I provided also contained the following http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/menu_gpshardware3.php which is an independant review of bluetooth GPS units.

Have a read through the www.pocketgps.co.uk site if you are new to GPS.

Cheers

Rik

Guest spacerace

yes sorry it was the www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk offer I was intially referring to when I talked about the range of units.

I will check that link out for the review of diff. units thanks. With additional research it seems that Fortuna is the unit a lot of people recommend/go with.

The MoDaCo offer is presumably the 'official bundle' with the Emtac in that case ?

Guest spacerace
"]Yes, it is the official bundle.

P

ok great thanks for clearing that up. I too would be interested in the review, although I'm heavily swaying toward CoPilot due to the GPRS traffic information and optional avoidance facility. I can see this being really useful and haven't seen it mentioned as a facility on TomTom. Will be interesting to see how this performs on review, although I think the CoPilot site says this feature "will be available later in the year" so it might not be ready in time for the review....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.