Motorola MPX200 Backup Battery !!!

Guest at330

i dont think that the backup battery on your phone can be used litterally for as backup when your battery is drained out, i think the only purpose of this battery is for the saved settings on your phone, so that when you take out your battery, your saved settings wont be erased. i'm not quite your if i'm right with this. moderators / mpx200 experts pls. confirm.

Guest FloatingFatMan

There is no backup battery. That indicator is just an oversight from the PocketPC OS, upon which the Smartphone OS (Windows CE) is built. User settings etc in Smartphones are held in non volatile RAM.

If you notice, the indicator never changes from 90%

There is no backup battery.  That indicator is just an oversight from the PocketPC OS, upon which the Smartphone OS (Windows CE) is built.  User settings etc in Smartphones are held in non volatile RAM.

oh! ok, thanks for the info. ^_^

Interesting... so this backup battery just saves the critical info when the main battery is fully drained right?

i think so, and also when you take out the battery pack. ^_^

Guest FloatingFatMan

Hmm... Seems I was wrong then.. How embarrassing!! :oops: :oops:

Still, I'm sure I'd read somewhere that there was no battery and that Moto just didn't have time to remove it from the OS...

It does begger one question though... How come it's reported life never changes from 90%? I'd guess the battery there is not actually the same battery as the one being reported in the OS, which would make sense as the OS was originally designed for PocketPC's which DO have a proper backup battery... Plus that battery looks awfully small.. I suspect it's just for the clock and other critical data really is held in flash RAM...

FFM

The battery shown in that picture is not the "backup battery." That battery is only to keep the phone's time, just like there's a battery on the motherboard of your computer to keep the time. The flash memory on the phone does not need a power source to retain it's information. The "Backup Battery: High(90%)" is not referring to that battery, nor does its power measurement match that battery.

yeah I would consider that a backup battery too. I mean thats what it does, backs up the time and simple info like that. Same as with many other products like my calculator, the backup batter is there to help retain info int he calc. Once i let my calculator sit for a few years without giving it a new battery and sure enough the memory that i put into the calculator was erased. I'm pretty sure the same goes for these phones, and as far as the 90% indicator, could be possible that the battery doesnt drain too quickly as with all those "watch type" batteries, and the backup battery is only going ot take action once the main battery is completely drained and even if your phone doesnt turn on because the battery is drained doesnt mean every bit of the battery is drained theres always some juice left in there. it just doesnt have enough power to turn on but it will have enough power to keep everything "alive". because when i mean completely drained i mean COMPLETELY drained which is very very very rare.

another possibility could be that the backup recovers once the main battery is back in or once you charge your phone. and maybe thats why it shows 90% because i have read somewhere that when you recharge a battery thats not a rechargeable, you cannot recharge it 100% or else itll start to leak if it goes anymore, you can however charge it less then 100%. once your phone is drained your not able to see if your phone is using the backup so we actually never know if that 90% drops

oh boy... another long post by me... sorry... lol, guess I wrote another book, I'll publish this one in paperback.

• 2 years later...
Guest m1.carson

Hi Guys,

My 200 was loosing date and time when the main battery was pulled, and I've moved on to a V3x for about 6 months, however my wife needs an upgrade, so out with the 200 for her, it's dead, main battery has 3.8 volts, that should be ok, so I've followed the guide and got to the backup battery, it's a SANYO ML614, went to several watch/jewellers, the've never heard of it.

It's not surprising, it's a lithium MANGANESE dioxide re-chargeable 3V, NOT a button cell, all the jewellers said bring the battery in and we can supply an equivalent, I don't recommend putting a non-rechargeable battery in a charging slot.

Sanyo has supplied a phone No for a UK distributor, will try this AM and let you know.

Max.

Nope, no good, unless I want 500 of them, does anyone know a retail outlet in the UK for them, I've seen one in the States but they don't ship abroad, I've also googled around without success.

Edited by m1.carson

• 7 months later...
Guest ericchua
There is no backup battery. That indicator is just an oversight from the PocketPC OS, upon which the Smartphone OS (Windows CE) is built. User settings etc in Smartphones are held in non volatile RAM.

I opened up my MPX200 for cleaning the ribbon cable contacts sometime, it does have a small button cell backup battery on the main board under the keypad. but i am not sure whether it can be change. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest awarner

Sorry I do not have the image at hand on my PC anymore.

The battery is a small cell type about 5mm in size it can be clearly seen on the board if you take the phone apart.

You can see the images HERE in another Topic I made when I first took the MPX200 apart.

Congrats on your first post after almost 4yrs :)