Calling all wanna learn games programmers

Guest muff

Hi all

I'm thinking about releasing a game engine, along with some tutorials to back it up, to show people how to make a full, but simple, game for the Smartphone.

The game engine will include all the code for setting up the window, dealing with keypresses, behaving nicely when a call comes in, and the basic blit routines to get graphics on the screen ^_^.

And I wanted to gauge interest before I wade in..

muff

(Deliberate cross-post with VC++ section)

I have voted yes, although with great trepidation!! :shock: I would love to learn more about programming, but have no experience whatsoever. Are you talking about coding that even complete twats like me can understand, or would there be a basic level of comprehension required!!?? ^_^

Guest midnight

and to compliment the code tutorial i'll run some graphics tutorials to help people grasp how to do graphics for games, such as menus, masks, sprite optimisation and even basic animated sprite creation principals. Depending on how in depth muff gets i'll even go into map/level creation.

Guest PrettyUgly
Hi all

I'm thinking about releasing a game engine, along with some tutorials to back it up, to show people how to make a full, but simple, game for the Smartphone.

The game engine will include all the code for setting up the window, dealing with keypresses, behaving nicely when a call comes in, and the basic blit routines to get graphics on the screen ^_^.

And I wanted to gauge interest before I wade in..

muff

(Deliberate cross-post with VC++ section)

i think more importantly, give us a tutorial on learning how to port pocket pc and some old win32 programs to the ms smartphone 2003

i think more importantly, give us a tutorial on learning how to port pocket pc and some old win32 programs to the ms smartphone 2003

porting is a different set of programming skills and requires you to understand the code in the first place - and on top of that, no 2 ports are EVER the same, so it's hard to 'teach'

the idea I have is to show how to make games from scratch, which should then allow you to understand enough to do ports yourself should you still want to - but making stuff yourself is far more satisfying

YES, i would love to read up on something like this ^_^ very incompetent myself when it comes to visual c++ :D

I tried to map keys to this application i have but didn't get anywhere close so basic tutorials would be good

Guest Jamma14

YES gr8 idea i tried the tutorials on gamesforsmartphones.com but got a bit lost and have been trying to teach myself some basic c++ since to help me understand, so this would be a gr8 idea I'd really like to have a crack at making something!

YES gr8 idea i tried the tutorials on gamesforsmartphones.com but got a bit lost and have been trying to teach myself some basic c++ since to help me understand, so this would be a gr8 idea I'd really like to have a crack at making something!

change your icon to something more sensible, and I might let ya ^_^

Brilliant idea... however I have tried programing earlier and failed misserably. I obviously don't have the patience it takes...

10 print "You suck at programing"

20 goto 10

Brilliant idea... however I have tried programing earlier and failed misserably. I obviously don't have the patience it takes...

10 print "You suck at programing"

20 goto 10

well that proves you understand the basics ^_^

import javax.swing.*;

import java.awt.*;

import java.awt.event.*;

import java.awt.image.*;

/**

* All right!!!

* I finally have a chance

* to be a productive member of society! I voted yes!! great idea!

*/

Guest maxh2003

I vote YES too, the more the merrier in my view. Muff, presumably (from the cross-post) you have eVC++ in mind, not .NET? - which would make plenty of sense.

Might I suggest, though, that Muff's proposed section - like my own tutorials section - will only ever be of *real* use if people feed back information to Muff about what's good and what could be better - as a few people have been kind enough to do with my own, more restrictively-defined tutorials. I littered my prose with "email me with questions" - type links but people don't necessarily do so:

tried the tutorials on gamesforsmartphones.com but got a bit lost

- it's news to me, Jamma! If you end up trying again, let me know where and how you get stuck. Maybe I can expand my own tutorials so they're a bit more use to yourself and others.

I'd *love* to see what midnight has to say about graphics-for-idiots, because all my graphics look like they fell off the back of a Commodore 64 (note: not a Spectrum; no colour clash!)...