xBar 2.4

Guest Xetra

Guest andy_sutton
hey, i'm kind of inept at this...can someone tell me how to change the call xbar button from the action button to the 0 button?  thanks!

jae park

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edit the xbar_cfg.ini file and modify the line as shown below

BEFORE: KEY_XBAR=13; // 13=Action Key

AFTER: KEY_XBAR=48; // 48=0 Key

Funny you should mention that, because with the standard setting of Action key activating xBar, I run into some weird trouble!

Have you ever experienced problems with adding words to T9 on your C500? Every now and then, clicking on 'Add Word' acts like I click it twice. This means that I don't get a chance to edit the garbled word that T9 suggests, but instead it is added to the list of user words!

It took me some time to figure out this problem was related to a bug in xBar... Everyone I know using xBar has experienced this, while all other C500's run perfectly. After changing the xBar setting to use the Record key instead of Action, this problem is solved...

Have you ever experienced problems with adding words to T9 on your C500? Every now and then, clicking on 'Add Word' acts like I click it twice. This means that I don't get a chance to edit the garbled word that T9 suggests, but instead it is added to the list of user words!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This has been driving me mad and I just couldn't understand it given that my mate doesn't have this problem with his C500. I never suspected XBar could be the cause. Well done for working it out!

Edited by Guest

Guest chucky.egg
After changing the xBar setting to use the Record key instead of Action, this problem is solved...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG!

After all this time it's THAT simple! :roll:

Thanks fella, you've no idea how long I've been swearing at MS about this! :oops:

Guest Phil Lee

I've been trying to get xbar 2.4 to work with an alternative key to the Action key on my C500. Ideally I'd like to use the Camera or Back buttons. I've tried using the keycodes from the xbar site (121 and 27) but neither of these seem to work, even after a complete power cycle of the phone. Does anyone know the keycodes to get either of these buttons to work?

Hehe. Nice to hear you guys had that same problem. I never heard of it before, which made the bug hunting even more difficult...

Phil Lee,

the Record button is not the same as the camera button. Actually it's the Volume Up button, pressed for a certain amount of time. This function is normally used for voice dictate, hence the Record label.

Guest pwhooftman2
Beware. I installed this on my SPV C500S (Orange UK badged). After about a week of use it slowed the phone down to a virtual snail's pace. A keypress was taking several minutes to actually execute and the action button stopped working completely. Before all this I lost all voicedialling functionality from my Bluetooth headset (Nokia HDW3) which was previuosly working. The phone was reluctant to connect via ActiveSync but when it eventually did I managed to uninstall the program at which point everything started working normally again. I would not recommend this for anyone else using the C500, based on my experiences.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here, Xbar ate approx 1.5 Mb memory a day, rendering ,my C500 useless after 5-7 days. Only switching the phone off and on made it work agian until again 5 days had past. :cry:

Guest Confucious

I've stopped using Xbar because of the memory leak problem and haven't had a problem since. It's a shame because I like Xbar (otrherise I wouldn't have paid for it). I did email the author some time ago and pointed him at this thread but have had no reply. Until the memopry leak is fixed Xbar is going no where near my phone!

I've stopped using Xbar because of the memory leak problem and haven't had a problem since. It's a shame because I like Xbar (otrherise I wouldn't have paid for it). I did email the author some time ago and pointed him at this thread but have had no reply. Until the memopry leak is fixed Xbar is going no where near my phone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks I was just about to post somewhere about having to restart my phone every few days because of memory loss. Now I know what the problem is. I have Xbar 2.4 on my Audiovox SMT5600. I hope a fix comes real soon.

Guest chucky.egg

My phone gets rebooted at least once every 24hrs anyway (it's off overnight) but I've never noticed a memory leak.

How do you detect the leak? And if I haven't noticed it should I actually care if it is there?

I'm running a C500 with the latest O ROM and xBar 2.4

Guest Confucious

If you turn your phone off every night you might not notice, but over a period of a few days the phone slows to a crawl and some programs have problems running, if you look at free mem after a reboot you have 7-8Mb free after a few days with Xbar this drops to 1-2Mb.

There's a new version of XBar that's just come out (v2.5). It says it fixes the memory leak. I've also tried adding a couple of words to the custom dictionary with the action key set as the main xbar key and this problem seems to have been fixed too.

I can't get the shift copy to work anymore with 2.5 on my Audiovox.... Anyone get this to work? I can do a shift and highlight text, but then I can't have it copy the text, it just remains as shift is being held down...

Yeah, I've got the same problem (I take it you're selecting "shift" from the quick launch menu of XBar?). There aren't really any instructions explaining the new method...

Yeah, I've got the same problem (I take it you're selecting "shift" from the quick launch menu of XBar?).  There aren't really any instructions explaining the new method...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's what I'm doing... I could be wrong cause I just got this phone, but I swear that the shift+copy worked in version 2.4 on my Typhoon

Try hitting the Action key to copy and then move it up or down to leave the Selection mode. I think that's the way to use it, although I am not quite sure...(?)

Guest chucky.egg

Not sure if you're talking about the same thing as me...

I was pressing "Action" (to open xBar) then "Volume Down" to select everything, then opening a new SMS and pressing "Action" then "Volume Up"

Last night that copied an entire text file into a new SMS

Today it doesn't work..

If I try to use the links from the QuickLaunch page in xBar it just exits the application (Orneta Notepad in this case)

Guest chucky.egg

Just discovered that my phone had frozen after trying different copy/paste ways half a dozen times.

After a reboot the copy/paste that I was using yesterday is now working again.

I feel a return to 2.4 coming :D

A .doc file sure would be great, right? :-) Anyway, let's see if we can't figure this out ourselves...

When I installed v2.5, I noticed that my quicklaunch links was messed up. I took this as a sign that something major had changed, so I uninstalled xBar. Then I manually cleaned up the folder till only the reg file was left, before reinstalling v2.5

Since only editable text can be copied, to test the copy function I open a received SMS and select to Forward the message. This gives me an editable text. With me so far?

If I want to copy the complete text into clipboard, I open xBar and do one of these two things:

1. Hit the 'Volume down' button

2. Move the Action key up or down to access the quick launch bar. Then I choose the 'Select All' link.

To paste the text, there are two options again. Launch xBar and:

1. Hit the 'Volume Up' button, or

2. Move the Action key up or down, to access the quick launch bar. Then I select the 'Paste' link.

With xBar 2.5 we finally can use the Shift emulation option on C500, to copy only a selected part of a text. To do this, move to the start/end of the text you want to copy, then hit the Action key to activate xBar. Move the Action key up or down to access the quick launch bar. Select the 'Shift' link. Now you can move the Action key forward or backwards to select your text. Up or down cancels the 'Shift' mode. When the text you want to copy is highlighted, press the Action key to copy to clipboard. End the 'Shift' mode to remove highlighting by moving the Action key up or down. It's as simple as that! :-)

Now who said we need a manual for this program? :-)

Edited by spvdk