New Plugin: SmartMonitor 0.9.6.0 [Updated 15/11/2004]

Guest drfonz

enece,

I can't imagine the phone's temperature is relative to the room temperature. It's the same as how some PC's monitor processor temperature. If you were to subtract a number from that temperature to bring it to current room temperature, it would nearly always read about that temperature. Though the surrounding temperature could affect it one way or another, you could never get anywhere close to a real reading.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if the phone read 80 degrees while it sat in your coat pocket, once you starter to talk on the phone, the hotter the phone would get. The temperature reading wouldn't be anywhere close to actual room temperature after a little while. The phone will be close sometimes, but not always. So the -10 or +10 differential wouldn't change at the same rate.

-Mc

Guest nickcornaglia

but I could get a real reading when not talking on the phone right? I understand it get's hotter when in use...but when sitting on a desk, it could give me the real temp. Otherwise, why would I care what my battery temperature is?

Hi guys,

it was bound to happen! Someone finds a bug and the whole thing turns out to develop on US time, so I don't hear about it until the next day :D

I shall have a look at the code and see what could be the problem with the temperature. I will also think about encece's suggestion about offsetting the temperature, but I do agree with McHale that trying to measure room temperature with the phone's thermic sensor is a bit idealistic ^_^

Anyway, I shall report back when I've identified the problem with Fahrenheit. By the way, the issue about the whole thing disappearing, are you reporting that as a bug, or is it an XML issue? Also remember that if you use the code from the sample Homescreen, the height of the plugin is set to 80 in the latest version (to fit the thermometer), so that if you add it as the last plugin and scroll off it, this might make the whole screen shift "out of scope" and the whole thing will appear blank until you scroll back up. Did that make any sense?

Cheers!

Dr Fonz

Right, I had a look and I think I've done the following things:

:arrow: Fixed the temperature units issue

:arrow: Fixed "off by 10" thermometer temperature issue (will require you to change your temperature-min/temperature-max attributes to be set as the correct ones now)

:arrow: Added the "offset" attribute for both and

:arrow: If you use

So we're now up to version 0.9.2.1 and I'll update the first post to reflect this. I'd really appreciate it if the people who found the problems could install this new version and let me know if the bugs they reported are now fixed.

All new features are reflected in the updated documentation, so check there before getting confused with what I write here ^_^

That's all for now. Enjoy!

Dr Fonz

Guest mfioble

I don't think the disappearing stuff is the plug-in, as it works fine on the modified orange theme. The issue I am having though is it goes blank when selected not unselected. I am pretty sure it is an XML thing (which I am learning as well) so that is why I posted that section. The code looked right to me but I am still getting a hang of this XML stuff. If the code is the same except for bold in the selected section that should just go bold when selected correct?

Guest Powerfull

Hello Everybody,

I have test the new version, but the temperature in celsius is still divided by 10 (same in older versions), you have correct the temperature for Fahrenheit but not for celsius I think. The temperature is displayed 2.4C instead of 24C.

it's always us Americans that have to do things differently, eh?

^_^

What's the highest numer you can use for REFRESH rate? Is there a limit?

I'll install enece's entire home screen to see if it still happens, but what I was seeing is, the actual pics used for the graphs were disappearing when selected. I've gone through enece's code and it's obviously fine and I don't see how code in other plugins would affect that. So it may be a bug. I won't know for sure until I install enece's and the latest plugin though.

Anyone else using enece's code and pics?

Thanks for the update!

-Mc

but I could get a real reading when not talking on the phone right? I understand it get's hotter when in use...but when sitting on a desk, it could give me the real temp. Otherwise, why would I care what my battery temperature is?

I agree on both. But if the phone is just sitting there, it should be just about room temperature (and reading accordingly), right?

I can't honestly say I ever sat and thought, "Hmmm... I wonder what the temperature on the battery is right now." But, on my Nokia's I sure have! Those things can sometimes get hon enough to make EZ Bake Omelets on!

-Mc

@Mc

The highest number you can use for the refresh rate would defeat the purpose of it, since we're talking a few millenia ^_^

So I'd recommend using "0", since the plugin is refreshed anytime you go from selected to unselected or viceversa, so the Auto Refesh is really there for people who don't touch their phone in a week and just stare at the screen to check the battery :D

I myself have it set to "0" so that there is no impact on battery life whatsoever...

@Powerfull

I'm not quite sure whether it's possible for he temperature to be right in F and not in C, since the data comes fromthe phone in C and then is converted to F with a standard conversion equation which does not multiply times 10... I'll have another look at it, and make sure I'm not talking rubbish though :P

Thanks for testing!

Dr Fonz

I just checked on my phone, and a {temp} produces 28.0C which is correct...

So I'm confused as to why you'd get 2.4C unless you work outdoors or something ^_^

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't want people to misread their phone battery's temperatures and think that's snowing in California!

Dr Fonz

the Fahrenheit reading is still wrong. I'm getting 38.3 degrees still and it should be about 75 or so.

^_^

Thanks for the updating and fixes though. This plugin is awesome.

-Mc

Guest nickcornaglia

I use CityTime Alarms. It went off this morning and I slept thru it for awhile before shutting it off. When I grabbed the phone it was actually hot from the alarm going off for about 15 minutes as well as vibrate being on. The temp read 115 degrees F!!!!!!! I guess having a battery temp is good after all! ^_^

For those in the US trying to get accurate Fahrenheit temperatures and failing, is everyone using an MPx220 (like I am) or is this affecting other phones as well? enece is using the Audiovox.

-Mc

Hi guys,

I looked at the code and couldn't see anything wrong with it, but because I am a coder after all, I decided to rewrite the conversion function in a much more neatly and efficient way.

I have tested it on my SPV C500 so that it'd display both temperature units at the same time, and I was getting 30C = 86F which is exactly correct.

So at the risk of sounding like a pain, I'd appreciate it if people with these problems have a go at version 0.9.2.2. If they are still not resolved, then the internal implementation of the Temperature functions does not conform to Microsoft's specification, in which case, I'll have to detect which platform you're running on and apply a workaround. So, get testing, so i can get fixing! ^_^

Thanks for your help and support as always!

Dr Fonz

@McHale

The more I think about it, the more I think it's an issue with the phone model. Any chance you could tell me what the phone displays when you set the temperature to Centigrade?

If it displays 2.4C or thereabouts, then the whole thing is off by an order 10, which would explain the erroneous Fahrenheit readings. If this is the case, Motorola has decided to reinvent their implementation of Microsoft's specification and got it badly wrong...

If this is the case, I'm going to have to find out a way to determine whether you're running the plugin on a MPx and work around it... This means more work for me since I have to find out how to do that ^_^

So, I'd really appreciate it if you could do the above test for me.

Thanks a lot!

Dr Fonz

Guest Powerfull

If it can help you, I have a SPV E200 with french orange ROM v2.7.2.2 , and with the version 0.9.2.2 of smartmonitor the temp is displayed 2.6 for celsius and 36.7 for Fahrenheit, I have the same problem than McHale.

Powerfull

I've just installed it.

Here's something to look at. When you use the Smartmonitor home screen it shows for temp:

3.6 C / 38.5 F

So it looks like the 10 factor for celcius is what's affecting the conversion to fahrenheit?

here's a screen shot of the SmartMonitor home screen and another of my own home screen:

ss001.jpg

ss000.jpg

to fix the problem, can you just add an additional switch to fix it instead of having to determine it with the plugin? Should keep it small and simple.

Let everyone implement it like normal. If they are having this problem, they can just add the switch... similar to offset.

-Mc

Guest nickcornaglia

From memory...I know the i600 was unable to use the XTRA Thermometer app because of lack of functionality in the phone itself. I cant remember whether or not it worked on the MPx200 or not.

OK, I shall implement the "scale" attribute, which will allow you scale the temperature up and down by whatever factor you decide, most likely "1" or "10", with "1" being the default.

Does that suit everybody?

I gotta go now for a while, but I'll check back when I've done what I have to go and do, whatever that is ^_^

Dr Fonz

works for me ^_^ You're the one who has to do all the hard work. We're just reloading it on our phones. We have the easy job.

Thanks again for the great plugin and the dedicated, hard work. I know everyone here appreciates it as much as I do.

-Mc

Guest mfioble

Should I post the issue of the text disappearing when selected in another post or should I continue with it here? I would tend to think it is a XML issue rather than something with the plugin as this worked fine in the orange homescreen that was posted in this thread. But for the life of me I can't see anything wrong with the code I posted earlier.

Also just tested the newest version of the plugin on my Mpx200 and having the F read 36 degrees as well which isn't right.