SMT5600 Unlock interim solution.

Guest revolution.cx

Guest shortcut3d

I am now using Florin's unlock proceedure to flash to different ROMs. I want and need 850 functionality. This is the e-mail I received from imate that was very discouraging.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the query! The i-mate SP3 has 2 models, one that operates on the bands 900/1800/1900 and the other one that is compliant with the 850/1800/1900. As this compatibility is hardware related, a software upgrade is not possible.

Feel free to contact me in case of any further queries/clarifications; I will be glad to assist you!

Best regards,

Srushti Ghisad

Some how I do not believe it because I was able to use AT&T singal in a location where I can not get Cingular. I ordered a new 64k Cingular SIM, which is supposed to use the 850 band first. We'll see what happens.

Guest Johnmart

If I buy the i-mate SP3 can I use it here in the US with T-mobile? Any differences between this solution (which I can buy unlocked) from buying the unlock code for the c500 and then reflashing with Orange as everyone is suggesting.

Thanks!

Guest shortcut3d

The imate will work for tmobile. Too bad Cingular will not work in the future. They will go to 850 band as the primary band. Channel updates will be sent on 850. I am worried that roaming will not work on a 1900 only phone. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest gcherian

Absolutely... there are locations in the US where cingular has only the 850 band license. So they are going to standardize with 850 being primary and 1900 as the supplementary frequency. So the triband phone with 900 is not a good idea.

Guest Confucious

It's amaizing. the rest of the world operate on either 900 or 1800 but the good old USA operates on 1900 and when they get a second frequency, what to they chose? 850. :lol:

I am by no means an expert on the subject, and feel free to shoot me down on what I'm about to say, but from prior reading in other threads regarding quad-band, tri-band, international roaming, etc. (don't remember which forum, think it was HowardForums), it appears that the differences in the U.S. (when compared to Europe) have to do with frequency conflicts and the way frequencies are assigned/auctioned.

The 900MHz band used in Europe for GSM apparently interferes with the same band already assigned in the U.S. to certain short-range devices like cordless phones, wireless phone extensions, wireless A/V senders, etc. Someone said that the 1800MHz band interferes with other existing assignments, primarily to the U.S. military.

As far as using 850 vs. 1900 by the U.S. carriers, when the FCC releases/auctions frequency bands, companies purchase the right to use them in different areas of the country. GSM started out as 1900 in the U.S., but just as in Europe (where the original 900MHz had to be supplemented with 1800MHz later on), 850MHz had to be added by carriers due to a) congestion on 1900; :lol: a carrier's lack of 1900 bandwidtch, because other carriers had the rights to most or all of that bandwidth in a particular market; c) better building penetration by 850MHz (longer wavelength) to counteract complaints vs. CDMA/TDMA carriers.

Perhaps someone with more expertise on the subject can correct or expand on the above.

Actually, Confucious, I did catch on that you were joking, but there are several messages leading up to the joke, and obviously people still wonder about the differences between GSM bands in different parts of the world, and what good the two most-often-available tri-band configurations will do for travelers, etc. I thought I'd throw in my $.02 worth (much of it paraphrased from other posts elsewhere, though).

I have the SMT5600 and am following this thread avidly. I live in the U.S. and will be travelling to Europe (Spain) on the 20th for three weeks (and travel to Europe about twice a year). I'd like to unlock the phone and get a pre-paid SIM with a Spanish phone number for use while I'm there, but still have misgivings about whether the 1800 band will give me sufficient coverage, even in a large metropolitan area like Barcelona. I can't even find conclusive information on which of the three major mobile providers in Spain (whose SIMs I could purchase) is the most 1800-friendly...all three are listed officially as 900/1800 carriers.

So anyway, my point is that in addition to phone unlocking, the whole concept of possibly flashing the 900/1800/1900 ROM to the phone for the trip, then flashing back to the 850/1800/1900 ROM (Orange or AT&T) after my return is really intriguing me, and I just couldn't stop myself from putting in some comments of my own. I find it interesting (if a bit suspicious), by the way, that the ROM controls which frequencies the phone uses, and not some radio hardware limitation).

I have just under two weeks before my trip. By next weekend I will make up my mind and either just unlock (assuming the SMT5600 unlock is available by then), try to flash to an Orange ROM, or get a quad-band phone (like the MPX220, if I can get a hold of it in Oregon where there is no Cingular service and Best Buy therefore doesn't sell it).

Guest shortcut3d

svenm - if you wait until Nov. 15th your options should increase because that is Day 1 of the NEW CINGULAR. Assuming that you AT&T stores in your location, there will be NEW CINGULAR products appearing.

I was curious how different triband ROMs would work without causing an error during the update or powering on the phone. After my e-mails with imate, it appears the radio portion of the hardware is capable of working as either 850 or 900, but other hardware components are the limiting factor. After that comment, I have grown more curious to find out if 850 will work on the imate SP3 and they have not tested, thus cannot officially say it works. Best thing imate could do is create a beta program and let us all know what is capable and let us do the testing if we choose.

I really do like the C500 ROM and would consider flashing a SMT 5600 to the 850 C500 ROM even when the unlock is available on Tuesday.

11/15 is cutting it a bit close for my trip, but it might work out, assuming some new options really do open up right on that date. I'd hate to be sitting at home on Friday evening the 19th, the night before the trip, ripping my hair out because I was waiting for some phone to show up in stock at an AT&T Wireless store. Also, if the MPX220 did appear on ATTWS and could be purchased online or at the store, the AT&T ROM on it would most likely be SIM-locked, as all AT&T phones are. So then I'd be looking for an unlock solution for a just-released ROM, and as we've seen with the SMT5600, just because the hardware is the same doesn't mean that an existing unlock solution will work for a new ROM. Yes, I know that after the merger things are going to get more Cingular-like, but I also know that the AT&T brand will continue to exist during the 6-month transition, so I will not count on AT&T "world" phones starting to be available unlocked like Cingular phones are.

Anyway, I'm scouring the forums and other sites day by day, hoping for some miracle solution. Right now my safest bet is probably to just unlock the Audiovox when an unlock is available without re-flashing the ROM, and to take my chances with 1800-only in Barcelona. Worst-case, I walk into a store there an buy myself the cheapest 900/1800 phone I can find, to pop in my pre-paid sim for the duration of the trip.

Guest HKBoySiR

shortcut3d - what about the c500 rom do you prefer over the audiovox? I was considering doing the same thing as svenm last night, but I have a closer deadline, as my trip is this thursday. my alternative was to just use my old mpx200, but after using the smt5600, the motorola one just feels "outdated." :-P

Guest florin_m

UPDATE:

Fix done. ALL existent customers (c500 AND audiovox) will get the details how to fix the phone via email shortly.

New customers please visit our page for online unlock

Guest MitzEclipse

Hi all,

i was able to use florin's solution on my 5600. i was able to completely unlock my phone , however, now when i boot up the 5600 i get the following error message:

"data crashes. please contact your service provider"

I have ran the unlock program twice to make sure i wasn't missing anything

I didn't install a ROM on here - i was never prompted to install one. i want the 900/1900/1800 rom so i can use it overseas.

Any suggestions? i'm itching to use the 5600! Thank you in advance

Guest shortcut3d
Hi all,

i was able to use florin's solution on my 5600.  i was able to completely unlock my phone , however, now when i boot up the 5600 i get the following error message:

"data crashes.  please contact your service provider"

I have ran the unlock program twice to make sure i wasn't missing anything

I didn't install a ROM on here - i was never prompted to install one.  i want the 900/1900/1800 rom so i can use it overseas.

Any suggestions?  i'm itching to use the 5600!  Thank you in advance

I do not believe that you can actually get a working 900 band from your 850 phone. I was trying to do the reverse and get the imate SP3 to use 850. The manufacturer says the radio is capable of both bands but the hardware is limited whichever the unit was sold. I am having awesome signal with my 64k ROM and can not verify if the band swap works.