Scrolling appointment plug in

Guest sullivanpt

Guest chucky.egg

Ah, a memory leak, that might explain it!

Since installing this (and a few other things, so I can't be certain where it lies) I've had my phone lock up twice in as many days. This phone has *never* locked up before, so it's unusual.

I've just restored from a Sprite backup, and not got round to putting this back on yet, so I'll leave it a couple of days to see if it might be something else causing it.

Mine locked up when the phone had been on for a long time (most of the day), but hadn't been busy - few calls and texts. Not much to go on, but it's all I've got right now!

Guest sullivanpt

Thanks for the report Chucky. Let me know how the experiment turns out.

I had been running v1.1 since Sunday night, and this morning (24 hours later) I received out of memory errors. I strongly suspect this plug in, but I haven't noticed a memory drain when I watch it in the resource monitor. Either way, I'm going to go through the code with a fine tooth comb, looking for dropped resources. I certainly don't want to be the responsible party for when you miss an important phone call. :-(

Guest nickcornaglia

Definitely noticed evidence of memory leaks. I have smart monitor plugin running and have seen the memory drop from it's usual (fresh startup) of around 30% right down to about 6% in a matter of an hour or two.

Guest sullivanpt

The memory leak is confirmed. My apologies. ](*,)

I'm running tests on a fixed version now. If all goes well I'll have it to you by tomorrow night.

Patrick

Definitely noticed evidence of memory leaks. I have smart monitor plugin running and have seen the memory drop from it's usual (fresh startup) of around 30% right down to about 6% in a matter of an hour or two.

I thought so! I was wondering why my free memory was dying so fast! Hey no worries about getting it fixed. I'll update my homescreen with the default till it's done.

Keep up the good work!

i had that file, it was grown to 6 mb !!! and i don't know where it comes from. i simply copied it to my desk mate it read only and copied it back. now it stays at 75 kb size but i still wonder what it is and where it comes from. make sure you don't hide system/rom/hidden files on your device when you look for it!

cheers, lutz

Guest sullivanpt

My debug code actually goes to a file call plugindebug.txt, but it's compiled out of the versions you have (at least in theory). :lol:

Well, it looks like I didn't fix the memory leak after all :D. I definately fixed *a* memory leak, but not *the* memory leak. Ah well. Back to the coding...

The version with *a* memory leak fixed is v1.2. It's posted at one of the two (don't ask) handango links at the top of this thread. If you paid for full version, you should have gotten a copy of 1.2 in your e-mail already. If not, PM or e-mail me.

Just to be clear, 1.2 should be considered an interim update. It's not much better than 1.1 as far as the memory leak goes.

Patrick

Guest nickcornaglia

I just visited the thread to mention about the memory leak still being present, though not draining my memory as fast as the prev version. Glad to see you're on the case! :lol:

Guest sullivanpt

Okey-doke. I found another promising memory hole and plugged it. A prerelease of version 1.3 has been e-mailed to everyone who paid for the full version.

This should be considered another interim release. I didn't even bother updating the Handango links yet, I'll wait until the testing is complete.

Thank you all for your stalwart patience while I solve this issue :!:

:arrow: On a completely different topic, I'm trying to learn enough XML to implement the promised layout tags. I understand the halign, valign, x, and y, positioning tags. But what is supposed to happen when to label tags are given in a row, without any formatting info? E.g.

here is text oneHere is text two

What is this supposed to look like what when it's printed?

Guest nickcornaglia

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they would just end up in line.

The result of:

Would be:

Which would mean positional tags are necessary.

Guest nickcornaglia

Actually I take that back....the text should be overlapped on top of itself starting from the beginning of the line. So one line of text is not aware of the other line of text. I just did a quick test with the messages plugin and instead of three zeros for email, vmail and sms:000 all that you see is a 0 which is really three 0's stacked on top of eachother.

Guest coolandfast

@sullivanpt

i did not receive version 1.2 or 1.3 so far. i send you my mailaddress last week after receiving a pm from you.

i had a strange thing happening: this morning, after charging the c500 over night an the usb cardle. the phone showed a error message that it would not find the starting page anymore.

when i left it alone everything was ok and nobody used it meanwhile...

after a restart everything back to normal.

could this be a error out of the memory leak?

greetings.

...i haven't got 1.2 and 1.3 :-(... because of the fact that i've bought at handango and you haven't updated there i can't get it anywehere - please mail it again, patrick!

cheers, lutz

Guest sullivanpt
i had a strange thing happening: this morning, after charging the c500 over night an the usb cardle. the phone showed a error message that it would not find the starting page anymore.

when i left it alone everything was ok and nobody used it meanwhile...

after a restart everything back to normal.

could this be a error out of the memory leak?

yes, this can happen when the phone runs low on memory.

And the bad news... 1.3 still seems to be draining memory :lol: Oh boy am I frustrated!

Guest coolandfast

this morning, after installing version 1.3 yesterday, everything seems to be ok.

i have not the knowledge to confirm or proof a memory leak but i feel that the phone is responding much faster to commands given.

so in my opinion, version 1.3 was a step into the right direction.

btw: i like this plugin so much, i tell other people to check it out and get it!

Guest sullivanpt

I agree with you, the battery life has taken a huge hit. I imagine the MS code to locate recurring appointments must be a huge CPU hog. I have plans to avoid calling it so often, I think that will help.

Interesting news on the memory leak, I removed a call to an MS appointment search function and the leak went away (or at least got so small it doesn't show up in a 24 hour test). This is promising, I'm running a similar test today.

Thank you for your patience :lol:

Regarding e-mail updates: it seems sending files by e-mail is practically impossible. Would anyone be upset if I switch to a "type in your registration code" model? (and post the versions on my web site instead of e-mailing them).

Guest sullivanpt

Another XML question, what's the point of the h= "16" attribute in the following label. It seems to me it should have no effect. (except possibly if a background image is included in the label, then it would define a clipping region).

‹text lang="0x0409"›Missed calls: ‹calls/›‹/text›

‹/label›