New site for finding all tweaks - opinion needed

Guest Mel [TP]

Guest Mel [TP]

I find a lot of tweaks and hacks here and in other places like Howard Forums. I thought I'd make a single website where people can find a list of ALL tweaks nicely organized, without having to search through multiple forums. I don't know if such a site already exists, but here's a sample of what I am working on:

http://www.SmartphoneTweaks.com

It's just a simple web page for now to show you guys what I am doing, but if there is interest, I can make this a lot better. I'd like to know your opinion on such a site like this, and if there would be any problem copying and pasting text from this forum and adding it to SmartphoneTweaks.com (in the interest of consolidation).

I'm not trying to compete with, or replace a site like Modaco. Instead, my site will help users find stuff on/from Modaco and others. So, let me know if you think it's cool. Btw, I work for Two Peaks Software but this site is a personal effort and is not supported/endorsed by the company.

Thanks, -Mel

Guest kurtfhouse

I agree you should credit people for their work, which they have put in for free in most cases, that said looks promising :lol:

Well I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but Chucky.egg that was not the most constructive of comments, at the end of the day Mel [TP] has set something up trying to be helpful to other people....................

Guest chucky.egg

Well, opinions were asked for... that's mine!

Maybe I was a little harsh, and no offence meant (honestly) I just question the value of *another* smartphone site that is just regurgitating information from other places

I for one welcome such a site. It is sometimes very hard to find your way through all threads and comments. Searching is not always the easiest of things to find something you once read browsing through these forums.

As a newcomer to these forums I sometimes don't exactly know what to look for and were. In other words I know what I want but how do you discribe it.

Well done and 10 out of 10 for effort.

We can ALL benifit from another smartphone site, it won't do anything but grab more attention, which smartphones need. This one in particular will make it easier for new users to find pertinant info and tweaks easily.

Don't listen to the whiners Mel, keep it up.

Guest beersoft

it is a nice looking site, and the more the better in the world of smartphone sites :lol:

the only thing i would say is do credit the sources as its not fair to take credit for other peoples work

just my thoughts on the matter

later

Owen

Guest Mel [TP]

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I did not intend to take credit for any tweaks. I just copied and pasted a couple just to give you an idea of how the content would be organized. Now that it seems like a helpful resource, I'm going to add more tweaks with full credit to the submitters and a link back to the Modaco or other forum site where they appear. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

-Mel

Two Peaks

Guest TimJBart

I think the site looks a brilliant idea as I'm new to my C500 and on your site Iv just found out how to set up a repeating vibrating alarm with a 2 second delay. Would be very useful to me if all tweaks were laid out in this way. Thanks to you and also to the person who made the tweak!

Guest Mel [TP]

OK, finally got some more time to work on the site tonight and I've added more tweaks, plus credits and discussion links for all items. Please send me tweaks that I've missed, although I'm sure I'll find them eventually. I also added a few of my personal ring tones.

Thanks for the encouraging comments. Enjoy!

-Mel

Guest midnight

errr, and you do realise my site has loads of tweaks, and click on the word ' tweaks ' will take you to MoDaCo's tweaks section, they may not be up to date but theres stacks more tweaks there than on your site. (don't mean to brag but most tweaks you see i found :lol:)

The reason I stopped adding to my site was because MoDaCo already provides all this info and i'd rather go to just one site that look through lots of sites to get what i want(MoDaCo 2 is going to expand on this idea considerably)

oh, and because of CustomCabbage (http://www.customcabbage.co.uk) of course :D

Guest awarner [MVP]
"]I just copied and pasted a couple just to give you an idea of how the content would be organized.

If you are going to mainly use copy and paste then you should also be

asking the site admin for permission to use thier content.

If you stay above board and and always ask credit etc then good luck

with your site :lol:

Looks like a good site, in reference to crediting for tweaks...

Is credit really nescessary? To be honest, nobody really holds the copyright to a tweak right? Don't get me wrong, those that sit down and tinker around with registry values to alter settings etc and share their findings with the community Im sure I speak for us all when I say there's nothing but respect for you but its not as if that person owns that modification.

I can't say i've ever credited anyone if I ever 'teach' somebody a particular registry tweak with Windows, so I don't see how this is any different.

The point i'm trying to make is, things like "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Ident " doesn't belong to you and by no means do you - or any other tweakers hold the intellectual property rights to these keys and therefore credit isn't really needed surely.

Don't get me wrong, if there are step by step guides etc lifted directly off other sources these obviously deserve credit for taking the time to write these handy walkthroughs.

Guest beersoft

ohh bitchy infighting :lol:

mid does have a point, just cut and pasting text from a site isn't cricket, but as mel[tp] said, the site is currently 'under developemet' and he is just bouncing ideas off us

point - counter point

later

Owen