5600 / T-Mobile SMS problem?!

Guest smccready

Guest smccready

Hey everyone -

I seem to be having an SMS problem of sorts with my 5600 (running unlocked AT&T ROM on T-Mobile, in California). If I create a new SMS message and insert a contact from my contact list, it goes through fine. however, if I *reply* to a received SMS, it looks like it gets sent, but the recipient never gets it. :lol:

Any ideas? I didn't have this problem with my MPX200, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have this problem when I was running the Orange ROM on my 5600..

This is the only glitch I'm finding so far in this otherwise excellent phone. Thanks for any input!

-Steve

Guest jleecong

I just unlocked my phone yesterday and am having a few problems with certain functions, but the function you mention I just tested and it worked fine.

I sent and email to [email protected] received it and then replied no problems.

I'm in Florida.

Guest smccready

Messages to myself go through just fine. All the folks I'm having trouble with are on different carriers (AT&T, Verizon), so I don't know if that might be part of it. Really strange & frustrating. Does the SMS function have any relation to the Internet/WAP settings, or any other settings on the phone?

-Steve

Guest aristoBrat

FWIW, I've been able to do SMS w/o having any data connections setup before.

I just sent a SMS from my Verizon Blackberry to my T-Mobile 5600. No problem. Replied back, got the "MESSAGE SUCCESSFULLY SENT" on the 5600, but no SMS on the Verizon Blackberry yet. Been about 5 minutes. Hmmmmmmm

Guest smccready
Thanks -- my Verizon phone never got my replies.  I can send it original SMSs and it gets it, but it won't get any replies sent from my 5600.

Well, while I'm glad it's not just me, this is definitely an irritation. I had thought it might have been due to installing Jeyo's Outlook Extender, but I re-flashed my phone last night and the problem still exists, so it's not that.

There's nothing on the AT&T support forums about this, leading me to wonder if it might be some artifact that resulted from the unlock, or just some oddity with using T-Mobile on this phone. Can someone with AT&T or Cingular do some testing on this and report back? Feel free to PM me with your phone # if you'd like to do some back and forth testing with this.

-Steve

Guest jleecong

My finding are this.

3650=AT&T

5600=T-Mo

I can send a message from my 3650 and the 5600 receives it. When I do a reply (number formatted +155555555555;) My 3650 never receives it. However I can create a new message and sent it to the 3650 no problems.

One thing I did try to see if it was number format was to reply to a message but change the number from +155555555555; to 5555555555. I sent the messages and it didn't seem to work.

Also as someone else said my 3650 is setup for T-Mobile, no AT&T data settings, but sending and receiving text messages works.

Guest jleecong
There's nothing on the AT&T support forums about this, leading me to wonder if it might be some artifact that resulted from the unlock, or just some oddity with using T-Mobile on this phone.  Can someone with AT&T or Cingular do some testing on this and report back?  Feel free to PM me with your phone # if you'd like to do some back and forth testing with this.

-Steve

I will switch my SIMS and see what happens. It also would be nice to have a locked phone run the test.

Guest jleecong

Putting the SIMS back in the correct phones eveything works fine. I was able to send and reply both ways. Sent 4 messages total 3650->5600, Reply 5600->3650 and then 5600->3650, Reply 3650->5600.

Guest jleecong

I'm interested to know the cause of the problem. One thing I notice is from my 3650 with AT&T sim (Carrier shows Cingular) it keeps sending the TXT message till I go in and delete it. Every time I did the test the 5600 would receive minimum 4 of the same text messages.

So in my case the 5600 on T-Mo wont reply to a text message and my 3650 on AT&T sends way to many of the same message. This shouldn't be a settings issues as the 5600 has all the setting from my 3650.

Guest smccready

Hey all -

In the hope that there might be some header info I could look at, I took two SMS messages from my inbox and tried to forward them to my e-mail address by using the method of ten zeros in the 'to' field and the e-mail address as the first line of the text. It didn't work, but I found out something very interesting. One of these messages was one I had rec'd from a friend (on AT&T), the other was one I had sent to myself (TMobile). The undeliverable messages for each forward attempt were different - one said it was trying to send to +16460000000000 (the AT&T message), the other (the Tmobile one to itself) said it was trying to send to +12060000000000. I know that Tmo's message center # starts with 206. I believe AT&T's starts with 907. '646' spells 'MIN', btw, and I know that #646# is the command on T-mo to get minutes used.

So, I'm wondering if there's something goofy in this phone and/or how it interacts with a Tmo SIM that causes it to put incorrect info into an incoming SMS (at least from other carriers) that leads to the replies getting hosed. I still havent' done any testing between my phone and a *different* T-mo subscriber, would be interesting to see how that worked. I'll have to play with my MPX200 and see how it handles all of this.

With the amount of texting I do, this problem is irritating enough that I'm half-tempted to go back to the Orange ROM. I don't care at all about WMP10.

-Steve

Guest smccready

Ok, I flashed my 5600 with the Orange ROM today ... it still has the SMS problem. ARG!

Anyone got any ideas here? I've confirmed that the message center # in the phone is the right one for T-mo. I'm wondering if there is something that gets embedded in the incoming SMSes that affects how replies get addressed/sent which is causing a problem, but I don't know enough about SMS as a whole.

If there is someone who has an unlocked 5600 that *is* successfully replying to SMSes from a carrier other than yours, can you please PM me with all the firmware/OS/etc version info from your phone?

Thanks ...

-Steve

Guest jleecong
Dumb question, but is this a 5600 only issue?  Has anyone tried recently from another model phone on T-Mobile to reply?
My testing included my Nokia 3650 on AT&T and Tmo. It also included the 5600 on Tmo and AT&T.

5600 using AT&T sends/receives/replies with Nokia 3650 on Tmo.

5600 using Tmo sends/receives/won't reply to AT&T, but does reply to email based messages.

3650 using AT&T did have issues sending one message multible times.

What I think we need to test is receiving/replying to messages from other carriers. I wonder if this isn't somehow restricted to replying to a message sent from AT&Ts network.

Guest jleecong
Is there any way you can test the 3650 on T-Mobile to see if it can reply to a message from AT&T?
Page 1

Putting the SIMS back in the correct phones eveything works fine. I was able to send and reply both ways. Sent 4 messages total 3650->5600, Reply 5600->3650 and then 5600->3650, Reply 3650->5600.
This tested my 3650 on Tmo and the 5600 on AT&T. There were no problems.

Guest adkalra

I am having the same issue.

I am able to send an SMS to a sprint customer. I am able to receive SMS from the sprint customer. I was not able to reply to an SMS that was sent to me from the Sprint phone (although it send message sent on the 5600).

I hadn't noticed this before. Now I think back, who really got my messages in the past, and am I getting charged?

Quite irritating..

Guest jleecong

So now we have AT&T and Sprint messages that we can't reply to.

Keep them coming, it would be nice to inform others of this "limitation" and know exactly what is effects.

One other thing to test (I just canceled with AT&T yesterday so I no longer have an AT&T account) is maybe enabling "Request text message delivery notification" to see if it provides anything helpful and maybe try disabling "Use Unicode when necessary".

Guest smccready
One other thing to test (I just canceled with AT&T yesterday so I no longer have an AT&T account) is maybe enabling "Request text message delivery notification" to see if it provides anything helpful and maybe try disabling "Use Unicode when necessary".

I've had notificiation enabled for a while on mine. I get an immediate delivery confirmation on new sends. On replies, I get nothing immediate, but I find that I may get a delivery failed message several hours later.

A question that's come to mind for me is this: if this is a 5600 issue that only occurs with unlocked 5600's that aren't on AT&T, what chance do we have of getting any sort of support for it?!? :cry:

Guest adkalra

I don't think locking or unlocking has anything to do with the problem, since everything works fine if the phone has an ATT SIM loaded. I think the problem lies with T-mobile. I don't know enough about SMS to even begin to try to diagnose the problem. It would be nice to know if anyone is using an unlocked 5600 on cingular, and if they are experiencing the same thing?

Guest adkalra

I also seem to be having trouble receiving international SMS messages. My wife who also has t-mobile has no problem receiving messages from the same interntional number.