SPV M2000 Now Launched

Guest blackhorse

excuse my slowness today, but what do you mean by onscreen t9?, as in the predicted word appearing halfway through typing a word or?

As in the HTC IntelliPad and IntelliDialler apps, influenced by the way the Smartphone dialler works, and present on the I-Mate Jam and O2 XDAIIi. See pics from XDAIIi review:-

http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2137&catid=60

Apparently, according to some XDA developers, it's possible to extract these apps from the Magician ROM and install on other devices - the .CABs are easily obtainable.

just received mine :lol:

Anybody know if there will be a Rom update for the M1000 to bring the software in line with the M2000??? that would then make it easier to just go for the M1000.... wonder if you can port the rom form the M2000 to the M1000... any thoughts anybody?

thanks to foxy 11 and Dade...

cheers

I dont think that Orange are going to be releasing a PPC 2003 SE version of the M1000. Some other networks are going to do this with their equivelent models.

You couldnt port the ROM from one to the other besides the complicattion in doing this it would be illegal!

Guest m2000onorder

Fascinating conversation with Orange Retention Dept....

After completing contract + 1 day I have been offered;

on £30 orange contract + student deal (1000 text pm free) M2000 for £149 :oops:

on cheapest orange contract M200 for £50 :cry:

on ANY OVP plan I was offered M2000 for £15 on condition that I don't change plan for 6 months. :lol:

Very happy chappy waiting until Tuesday's delivery

Their perspective is that the 'better' the contract the less potential they have for make a premium profit hence higher cost of upgrade. The less you get for your monthly fee the greater the potential for overspend and lots of profits for orange... fortunate for us (me) someone has clumped all 02 OVP's as being full of overspend potential...

Anyone who's taken delivery please give some feedback on feel, functions, size ect.... my current thoughts are M2000 for day - slim Nokia for beers @ night.... thoughts?

Guest SuperTolly

> Anyone who's taken delivery please give some feedback on feel, functions, size ect

Feel is excellent, gives the impression of a quality piece of kit. I have moved from an SPV to a P900 and on to a M2000. Definate generation leap each time. Screen great, OS great, looks great.

Ringtones rather quiet though.

Great to see this phone starting to roll out been watching and reading reviews for this phone from end of August.

I have one question how did you manage to get your hands on this phone I have phoned orange sales and they say they have not got it to release yet and most annoyingly can't tell me a release date, I did find out I have 900 Points and was a valuable customer, not good enough to receive this phone yet.

Any tips???

Guest Russell@home

Just called upgrades & they told me it was going to cost £350 on my current tarrif & oly went down to £250 if I changed to something like talk400! He also told me that if I did change talkplans I would have to wait until 22 dec before I could get it for £250.

I explained that I would go with t-mobile & he said OK!

Guest dearsina

I ordered mine yesterday, delivery Monday or Tuesday, paying £50 as an upgrade fee (I upgraded 3 months ago to C500) and £100 for the phone. A bit pricy, but I figure I'll sell my C500 for roughly the same price, so I'm not too fussed. Looking particularly forward to the WiFi as my school has is all over. Lectures will never be the same... Joy!

sina

london

sina, where did you order yours from?

was it direct from orange 150 or one of there dealers?

forget that.

Just rang orange again, the phone is available for upgrade but not for new contracts ( is somebody winding me up)......and it will cost me an extre £10 to receive them free evening minutes on a 400 anytime contract.

Guess I'll wait abit longer.

Guest carlosp_uk

So, has anyone received their M2000 yet? Or are you all so busy playing with them that you don't have time to post a review?!

My E200 contract expires in a month, and I'd really like to know:

- How have you found the size of the M2000? Is it too large to put into your trouser pocket, e.g. to go down the pub? Weight?

- What about the battery life? How does it compare with the E200?

- Is it worth waiting for the 'next big thing' to come along, e.g. M2000 equivalent with 3G support / 1Megapixel camera? Or is that going to take more than 12 months, so I'd be better getting an M2000 and seeing what's around in December 2005....

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Guest philgriffiths
So, has anyone received their M2000 yet?  Or are you all so busy playing with them that you don't have time to post a review?!....

.....Is it worth waiting for the 'next big thing' to come along, e.g. M2000 equivalent with 3G support / 1Megapixel camera?  Or is that going to take more than 12 months, so I'd be better getting an M2000 and seeing what's around in December 2005....

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated!

There was a full review of the M2000 on modaco phone edition but i understand it has been temporarily removed. It was a very good review though and looks like the M2000 would be a pretty smart buy.

As for whether or not to take the M2000 or wait for the next generation i would personally say go for the M2000 now, unless you want to wait and see if the IMate Jam better suits your requirements. Just look at how long the M1000/XDAII was around before this new lot came along and besides, can you really wait another year with your E200 while everyone around you has soo much better phones? :lol:

There was indeed a review on the site but I took it down to update as I (finally) received the new hardware from Orange. The review will be back up again tomorrow hopefully!

Guest philgriffiths

Gave orange a call today and to cut a long story short they offered me an upgrade to a M2000 for 89.99 great i thought.. "It will be delievered to you in approx 3 working days".. wonderfull, in time for the weekend i mused... "oh, hold on a sec, its just come up as out of stock on my system" she said...Oh darn... "when will it be available?" I chimed .... "dunno" she replied Grrrr!

First the neonode offer of free SD card and free delievery stops and now this.. this is proving to be a bad week for my own mobile phone world!

Guest dearsina

So i received my brand new toy yesterday! Yippi! I played around with it a for a couple of hours while charging, set it up to receive my emails and all sorts of things.

I go to bed.

I wake up this morning, and bluetooth is giving me a bit of grief, so I thought "I'll turn it off and on again, and everything will be dandy", guess what, there is no off button. I pressed the button on top with the little power on symbol and the screen goes dark, but the device is still on. I press it again and the screen goes back on. I try a few more times, but no luck, so I thought I'd take matters into my own hands and take the battery out, and I did, and I put it back in again, only to realise that for some reason, the entire memory had been wiped and that when I started the phone again, it was as if it was the first time I'd booted it up. All my settings, WiFI, emails, ringtones, everything, gone.

Frustrating!

So not a good first day. Other things to note, it's a pretty chunky device, the keyboard is nicer than I thought, but still way to small. Something I appreciated though was the little wonder of transcribing; you write words on the screen and it transcribes them into proper words. Pretty cool. Still no cure for cancer, but it's good to see that science has been put to some use.

Anyway, I have to go to work, I'll post up some more updates when something interesting happens. And with Windows onboard, don't be surpised if I'm back again this evening.

sina

london

Guest shadamehr

Dearsina,

You need to read the manual a bit more mate (sorry for saying that).

As this is behaviour of all the XDA/PPC Range.

The Power key simply powers of the screen etc. The device is still ready to receive calls etc in this state.

If you wish to use it ONLY as a PPC, then you need to tap the ariel signal indicator, and choose Airline mode/wireless off.

If you want to SOFT reboot the phone keeping settings etc, you put the stylus into a little hole on the side (at least on my XDA2/M1000 you do - I assume the M2000 is the same).

This will 'switch off then back on' the device, if it freezes etc, and tidies up the memory etc etc.

You can USUALLY remove the main battery too, to do a SOFT reset, but on occasions this CAN cock up and cuase a FULL HARD reset instead - something to do with the length of time the main battery is out compared to the backup battery power, and also the little red battery lock switch.

So best NOT to do this if it can be avoided - use the stylus and the soft reset hole instead.

Finally, if you specifically DO want to do a HARD reset, this is similar to the soft reset method of the stylus in the reset hole, but holding the POWER button down whilst you do this - possibly also in conjuction with the action button too, it's that long since I did this I can't recall exactly.

But as much as none of us like reading manuals sometimes, I have to advise you, if you are this new to PPC's etc, that you really NEED to read your manual a bit more first before removing batteries etc mate - the PPC is not really that much like a C500 etc as some would have you beleive - there are a LOT of key differences.

Just to clear something up, the M2000 doesnt have a red power switch under the battery cover as the battery itself forms the back of the device. The clip that holds the battery in place it a switch that switches off the main battery and engages the backup battery so that you can change the main battery without loosing data.

Some people have managed to unclip the main battery without moving the switch fully across, this means that the backup battery is not enabled and data loss can occur. Make sure you move the battery switch over fully.

DONT FORGET there is a complete section for the M2000 over in the Phone Edition site (LINK HERE) where a lot of this stuff has already been discussed. Please try to avoild cross posting so that we dont have to start locking topics.

Just to clear something up, the M2000 doesnt have a red power switch under the battery cover as the battery itself forms the back of the device. The clip that holds the battery in place it a switch that switches off the main battery and engages the backup battery so that you can change the main battery without loosing data.

Some people have managed to unclip the main battery without moving the switch fully across, this means that the backup battery is not enabled and data loss can occur. Make sure you move the battery switch over fully.

DONT FORGET there is a complete section for the M2000 over in the Phone Edition site (LINK HERE) where a lot of this stuff has already been discussed. Please try to avoild cross posting so that we dont have to start locking topics.

Guest dearsina

As I seem to have started this, I'd better end it. I wasn't troubleshooting as such, and shadamehr is absolutely right in that I should read the manual. Thanks for all your help.

sina

london