BTAutoSync SP [Bluetooth AutoSync] [v0.0.3] > Now BTAutoSyncWM5.0

Guest gaplayer26

Guest gaplayer26

---------------------------------------------------

BTAutoSync WM5.0 v0.0.5

Released:.... [16 July 2006]

Updated:..... [16 July 2006]

BTAutoSync WM5.0 (Bluetooth AutoSync) for Windows Mobile 5.0, is an application which will schedule repeated, automatic ActiveSync over Bluetooth! BTAutoSync SP will 'wake up' at user-defined intervals (as often as every 5 minutes) and attempt to locate your Bluetooth/ActiveSync partner desktop (over Bluetooth) and establish an ActiveSync connection... More >>

Download information can be found at the BTAutoSync WM5.0 webpage.

BTAutoSync SP v0.0.3

Released:.... [13 December 2004]

Updated:..... [21 February 2005]

Website:..... [www.psychoman.co.uk/forum/windows_mobile_2003.htm]

BTAutoSync SP (Bluetooth AutoSync) for Smartphone 2003, is an application which will schedule repeated, automatic ActiveSync over Bluetooth! BTAutoSync SP will 'wake up' at user-defined intervals (as often as every minute) and attempt to locate your Bluetooth/ActiveSync partner desktop (over Bluetooth) and establish an ActiveSync connection... More >>

Download information can be found at the BTAutoSync SP webpage.

Changes:

v0.0.3 <--- LATEST VERSION (Download v0.0.3) - Requires a donation.

-------

- Installer (.exe) and .cab versions now available.

- Re-arranged menu items.

- Added option to select a partner from currently bonded devices.

- Added option to manually force ActiveSync to disconnect.

- Added option to disconnect after synchronisation.

- Added option to automatically turn Bluetooth radio off during non-sync. hours.

- Added option to disable warnings.

- Added option to disable notification icon.

[screenshots of v0.0.3 - 21 February 2005]

Edited by gaplayer26

Guest nedge2k

Nice work :)

We've all been waiting for something like this for ages. The only pronlem i can see with it would be the drain on battery life. Making the phone look for the PC all the time would kill off the battery pretty quick (even on the C500). Maybe if you changed the app slighty so that as soon as a drop in async connection was detected the phone would keep trying to re-connect for a set ammount of time then if it doesnt connect it waits for a while the tries again. Or maybe you could add a pc side app to look for the phone?

Anyway its a great app...nice work fella! :(

Guest nycsteve

nifty idea - i'd just like a 1 button approach to 1. turn on bluetooth on the phone 2. activate active sync and sync with the computer - as it is now i have to turn on blue tooth - then turn on active sync on the phone then tell active sync to sync using blue tooth waaaaayyyy to many buttons to press. could your application be configured to do this?

Guest gaplayer26
Maybe if you changed the app slighty so that as soon as a drop in async connection was detected the phone would keep trying to re-connect for a set ammount of time then if it doesnt connect it waits for a while the tries again. Or maybe you could add a pc side app to look for the phone?

Hi nedge2k - It's already working this way! :) The phone does not scan continuously. Bluetooth scan is only initiated at the user-configured interval (between 1 - 60 minutes).

Summary:

1. Scan for Bluetooth partner, if found, initiate ActiveSync. If Bluetooth partner is not found, wait until next scan time.

2. When the next Bluetooth scan time arrives, if you are connected ActiveSync, do NOT scan again. If you aren't connected, scan for Bluetooth partner.

3. Repeat cycle...

--------

Guest gaplayer26
nifty idea - i'd just like a 1 button approach to 1. turn on bluetooth on the phone 2. activate active sync and sync with the computer - as it is now i have to turn on blue tooth - then turn on active sync on the phone then tell active sync to sync using blue tooth waaaaayyyy to many buttons to press.  could your application be configured to do this?

Yup, the application automates the process. This is more of a '0 button' approach 8)

You will, however, need to leave the Bluetooth radio enabled on the mobile....

Future versions will have the ability to automatically enable/disable the Bluetooth radio before/after scan.

---------------------------------------

Guest chucky.egg

Just installed it now, could be cool (if it works! :) )

Combined with the BT toggle (which is a Speed Dial on my phone) I don't think battery drain will be a problem. Assuming BT AutoSync doesn't utnr BT on to start the sync (it didn't seem to just now).

Only downside so far... With xBar, SmartFilter, GPRS Monitor, BT AutoSync, the battery and signal meters I've only got about 1/2" left for the text in the IconBar!

Next AutoSync due at around 11:40, so we shall see!

Guest chucky.egg

After a few "missed" sync's I discovered that you seem to need to set your Connection Type to be 'Bluetooth - it makes sense, but mine was set to USB (because that's how I normally sync at work) and it kept waking up as it should, but not doing anything.

On your phone go to ActiveSync - Menu - Options - PC Settings - Menu - Advanced ... and then change 'USB to 'Bluetooth

BT Toggle does seem to stop it though, so (for me, who doesn't use BT that much out of the office) it's an easy way to conserve battery without having to turn AutoSync on/off

I like this. 8)

Lovely ! :(

You're gonna make a lot a friends with this little app 8)

I was wondering, since I'm at work all day and do not need to sync there, wouldn't it be great if one could define another schedule say switch BT on and start lookin' from 18:00 untill 23:00 :) This way BT wouldn't be on all day eating the battery..

Just a thought !

Great work Garth !

Guest Confucious

See, I was right!

I told you someomne far cleverer than me would develop an app to do this. Lot's of people have been asking for this. It's not a bad first post to the forum :)

Welcome to the forum Garth and thanks

Guest gaplayer26
After a few "missed" sync's I discovered that you seem to need to set your Connection Type to be 'Bluetooth - it makes sense, but mine was set to USB (because that's how I normally sync at work) and it kept waking up as it should, but not doing anything.

On your phone go to ActiveSync - Menu - Options - PC Settings - Menu - Advanced ... and then change 'USB to 'Bluetooth

BT Toggle does seem to stop it though, so (for me, who doesn't use BT that much out of the office) it's an easy way to conserve battery without having to turn AutoSync on/off

I like this.  8)

Well spotted!... I was considering doing a check for this during the applications startup...might do so in the next version...

Guest gaplayer26
I was wondering, since I'm at work all day and do not need to sync there, wouldn't it be great if one could define another schedule say switch BT on and start lookin' from 18:00 untill 23:00  :)  This way BT wouldn't be on all day eating the battery..  

Just a thought !  

I must admit I haven't thought of this. Improving the scheduling would be useful. If I can get my head round it, I'll definitely work on it in the next version!

Guest chucky.egg

Ah, I've discovered a downside to setting your Connection Type to be 'Bluetooth.

When I have that set, the PC doesn't recognise the phone and doesn't seem to charge, so I can't leave it plugged in to charge and still sync over BT

I've ordered a mains-to-USB convertor anyway, but it might be an issue for others.

Guest gaplayer
Ah, I've discovered a downside to setting your Connection Type to be 'Bluetooth.

When I have that set, the PC doesn't recognise the phone and doesn't seem to charge, so I can't leave it plugged in to charge and still sync over BT

I've ordered a mains-to-USB convertor anyway, but it might be an issue for others.

hmm, have checked it out on my mobile and it doesn't do the same - I am still able to charge via USB.

Anybody else able to confirm/check this for us?

Thanks

-

Guest nikjensie

One quick question... what does this app really do? Does it automatically connect to ActiveSync through bluetooth and sync at a set interval or do you have to connect to ActiveSync by yourself every time? Hopefully the second alternative since as far as I can see my ActiveSync automatically sync by itself once you're connected... just asking though...

Nik

Guest gaplayer
One quick question... what does this app really do? Does it automatically connect to ActiveSync through bluetooth and sync at a set interval or do you have to connect to ActiveSync by yourself every time? Hopefully the second alternative since as far as I can see my ActiveSync automatically sync by itself once you're connected... just asking though...

Nik

Hi - BTAutoSync SP will automate the process of connecting to ActiveSync at user-defined intervals (i.e. You will no longer have to start ActiveSync on the phone and select 'Options -> Connect via Bluetooth' - BTAutoSync will do it for you).

HTH

-

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Socrates

I can't get it working.

SMT 5600

I have the PC and phone successfully partnered, etc. ActiveSync can connect the BT when I click MEnu, Connect Via BlueTooth. But when I run BtActiveSync, it just forever says "Waiting for Discovery".

Help!! Thanks.

Guest Confucious

Socrates - is your connection type on the phone set to bluetooth rather than USB - ActiveSynch will work with either BTAutoSync needs it set to BT.

Also, is your PC set to Discoverable? If not it will fail.

HTH

Guest Socrates

Ok. Thanks for helping. I'm stupid. It seems the partner name has to be in all upprcase letters.

Working now.

PS. Gaplayer. Tell me where to send money. :) This thing is going to make life easier!