::Bulletproof Guide [Almost!] to ActiveSync and Bluetooth::

Guest gaplayer26

Guest Confucious
How do I do this?  I can't get into the connection settings in activesync to finish the process.  Do I need to go out and buy a cable to make the partnership?

You do not need a cable. What phone do you have - your profile says a Moto V600 but this is not a SmartPhone and does not use ActiveSync.

The more details you give as to what you have tried and what happens when you try the easier it is for people to help you.

Welcome to the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ctmagnus

gaplayer26: is the file not available at this point in time? I have recurring ISP issues, so I'm not sure if the fact that I can't access the file is on my end or your end.

I managed to get my SMT5600 to initiate a Bluetooth ActiveSync, but I cannot get it to disconnect, short of going out of range or turning BT off on the phone. So any help that your much-hyped guide may provide is greatly appreciated!

Guest gaplayer26
gaplayer26: is the file not available at this point in time? I have recurring ISP issues, so I'm not sure if the fact that I can't access the file is on my end or your end.

I managed to get my SMT5600 to initiate a Bluetooth ActiveSync, but I cannot get it to disconnect, short of going out of range or turning BT off on the phone. So any help that your much-hyped guide may provide is greatly appreciated!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The file is still available on the site - must be an issue with your ISP as you said...

Guest kepster

Hi, thanks for the guide, after much previous head bashing that got it working in no time!

However, one problem I still have, which I can't find having been answered (apologies if I've missed it), is that whenever I restart the computer I get a message about ActiveSync not being able to open the COM port (or something similar - I'm at work so can't check the error right now), so is there a way to set the connection up so I don't have to go through the whole process again each time!

[Edit]

Solved the problem myself - after browsing around various forums I found ActiveSync 4 being mentioned, hunted it down on the MSDN website & hey presto, Bluetooth now behaves properly for me!

[/Edit]

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by kepster

Guest mjsmith75

Hey...was getting real frustrated... You would think either the phone user guide or the Activesync help section would speak of this... oh well... once I found this post, this guide worked perfect, thanks a bunch!!!

....but....

people who use Bluetooth dongles (vs. built in bluetooth adapters) and the smt5600, there is a little interpretation required but it does work fine..

You have performed a great service for us all! ;)

Guest chedabob
Magic - this worked an absolute treat  ;) 

I had spent the apparently obligatory 3 hours tearing my hair out over this stupid BT/ActiveSync thing  :roll:

Many thanks for the clear to follow guide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

same here. my problem was that windowz xp has used its own drivers, instead of the widcomm ones so the software didnt work propely

good guide

thanks

Guest monkeygadge

Anybody had the problem of being able to sync over BT no problem, can take files from the phone to PC, but if you try and copy a file TO the phone, activesync drops the BT connection. Strange thing is I can send a file to the phone by using the Bluetooth devices\send file option.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! First of all, thanks for a fantastic application. It´s wonderful not to have to manually sync the phone. But I have a small problem. I´m using the schedule and I want the phone not to sync between 6 PM and 9 AM. I also want the phone to turn off bluetooth during non-use. But the application (or the phone) seem to have a problem when the clock turns 12 in the night. Then it activates bluetooth again of some reason.

This is what happens:

I restart the phone at 7 AM in the morning and the phone doesn´t sync or turn on bluetooth until 8 AM, all fine. It starts syncing (and turns on bluetooth) at 8 AM and it runs until 6 PM when it shuts down both bluetooth and sync. The 12 at night it turns on bluetooth again of some reason but it doesn´t seem to sync though. After this bluetooth won´t be turned off by the application until I restart the phone. So, alltogether, the application seems to sync when it should but won´t ever able to turn bluetooth off again after 12 at night.

Anyone else with these problems? Maybe I can get another Qtek 8010 firmware. I´m using the latest now.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest mini_man

This is so wierd please help me, I have xp home edition with sp2 installed, ok when i insert the bluetooth dongle its says found new hardware, ISSCBTA so i dont put the cd in because i want to use microsoft native driver, but when i click install software automatically it just doesnt find anything.

Im assuming it finds somthing for you or that it automatically detects its a microsoft bluetooth device. What am i doing wrong arrrh

A good guide - I'm sure it will help many people.

A couple of points, if you create the ports on the phone first, when you pair with the PC it will automatically create the incoming port so you don't need to do this first.

The Inbound port on the phone (COM6) does not need to be enabled, only the outbound port (COM7) does.

In your example the incoming port on the PC is COM7 which is the same as the outbound port on the phone, this does not have to be and indeed, usually is not, the case.

A problem lots of people face is where the incoming port on the PC is allocated a port number > 9 as ActiveSync will not recognise it. To change it Under Control Panel -> Phone and Modem Options-> Modem select "Standard Modem over BlueTooth link", click properties->Advanced tab click " Advanced Port Settings" select the drop down box for Port number. In here you will see a list of ports lots of which might have (In Use) by them. Select a port (between 3 and 9) that you know is NOT in use (even if it says it is) and click through all the warnings that your PC might explode and cause world war 3 if you do so. When you have done this turn BT OFF on the phone and restart the PC. When the PC has restarted turn BT back ON on the phone and all should work.

Another common problem is when people reboot there PC with BT turned ON on the phone. ActiveSync will then not recognise the phone. BT should only be turned ON on the phone after the PC has finished booting.

Off the top of my head these are the most common problems not covered in your guide (but it's a good start, thanks) but I'm sure there are many others that people will come across!

One other thing - In ActiveSync->Menu->Options->PC_Settings->Menu->Advanced the connection type can be left at USB and the phone will use either USB or BT. If it is set to Bluetooth (which it has to be for your excellent utility) then the USB connection does not work for ActiveSync.

HTH

Keep up the good work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well thats as clear as mud to a woman who just wants to connect up and download her fav MP3 file!!

Regards LXG. :cry:

Guest mustaine

I have bluesoleil and it worked perfect with the cd that came in the box. I just used com8 and turned off com9 from the settings menu. btw, i dont have sp2( that's why I used the cd in the first place but it worked).

Guest mini_man

hey thanks for the reply

would there be anychance in you creating a picture guide that i can follow, sorry if it may take up time but everyone here would be very greatful

and it clearly ses above i am

Edited by mini_man

Guest elziado
I'm gonna start making the bluesoleil guide today. I think it will be ready this week...hopefully ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers mustaine. I think I need that guide too!

I can't get my C600, XP SP2, BlueSoleil & ActiveSync to play.

:D

Guest Confucious
grr no one reads my posts in the other folders! I am using sp2 but i cant get any bluetooth windows drivers

I have not read your other post - where is it?

1) Windows SP2 comes with BT drivers built in - what do you mean you "cant get any bluetooth windows drivers"?

2) Any guide written for XP without SP2 will NOT work with SP2 - this is why this thread was started in the first place.

It would be far better to get the SP2 BT stack working rather than to try and resolve the conflicts you will (probably) encounter trying to use another BT stack with SP2.

Just my oppinion, but in my experience you are barking up the wrong tree.

Guest gaplayer26
Here is my guide to connect an MPx220 via Bluetooth with Bluesoleil using the cd. I'ts pretty basic but I hope it helps!  ;)  any comments accepted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the addition! I'm sure it will help a lot of people.

Garth

P