How to perform a Hard Reset

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rammy121

:lol: hey barry, easy tiger. you know the mandatory bits of sw like explorer and album, well these bits of sw couldn't have cost that much to write. work out the cost of annual tarrif + call costs etc. that orange are getting, they could have just swallowed the price of the sw. i had (still have) a siemens sl45, that came fully loaded and no more costly to produce at the time than the spv, i'm sure. i have nothing against paying for sw, especially if it's good and yeh, we're lucky, we get "try b 4 u buy.." but honestly, mandatory sw, why should we have to pay for it, when you take in to account the total cost of ownership. and b4 you say anything, don't think anything of it, when people run off a copy of microsoft products, bill g. is no angel! madukranian, i reckon you've taken it a bit too extreme in the costings , matey. well that's my sixpenth worth. rammy ;)

Barry, you from HandanGo/Orange??
Nope - just very opinionated! As you may have guessed from other posts ;-)

I was just saying that Orange takes a lot of money either way, so the fact that they save £10 (that's the most it would be for preinstalled IA) on the camera utility is a bit daft!

Agree it could be a lot better but, to repeat others, it is the first smartphone on the market. There is a lot with the phone which could be better. They could also have made the phone £10 more expensive - at least this way they give you the choice of whether you buy it. Also the latest version of IA Album wasn't availble when the phone was launched. Should they have delayed the launch (possibly also charging £10 more)?

Personally the camera is not a big deal and is just a nice thing to have as an add-on to the phone.. And yes, IA are doing a good job - but noone is slating them for it. So what was all that about stealing away??

Yeah, but you are taking away from IA and not Orange by pirating their software.

Can't say I've never had nicked software, but if the software is pretty cheap I reckon we should pay.

End of the day it's just my opinion and dry sense of humour...

Guest rammy121

:lol: hey barry, easy tiger. you know the mandatory bits of sw like explorer and album, well these bits of sw couldn't have cost that much to write. work out the cost of annual tarrif + call costs etc. that orange are getting, they could have just swallowed the price of the sw. i had (still have) a siemens sl45, that came fully loaded and no more costly to produce at the time than the spv, i'm sure. i have nothing against paying for sw, especially if it's good and yeh, we're lucky, we get "try b 4 u buy.." but honestly, mandatory sw, why should we have to pay for it, when you take in to account the total cost of ownership. and b4 you say anything, don't think anything of it, when people run off a copy of microsoft products, bill g. is no angel! madukranian, i reckon you've taken it a bit too extreme in the costings , matey. well that's my sixpenth worth. rammy ;)

Guest Moony1234
Xavier

I second that. Just performed a hard reset. My phone is buggered now.

I did NOT have memory card in the phone. It might save info to the card while performing IPMS. Then I load BootDiag.

4 more options appear:

0. Save All

2. Save CE

4. Save GSM

6. Save IPSM

8. Erase IPSM (as it was)

It will not save Win CE on mem.card. (FAILED)

When I boot the phone it shows 'Orange' screen and then stops responding. Light goes off. RIP

So I am off to the shop tomorrow. Bugger.

Ignore the previous line!!!! Viva la Ukraine!!!!

I waited, and waited and my patience seemed to have paid off.. it proceeded to Smartphone 2002 Boot Screen.

(We are live on air gentlemen - I am actually doing it now)

Still took some time, and the second boot took a bit as well, but it works.

All the settings are ERASED!!!

Reinstalling all soft too.

Good luck!!

How long exactly did it take before it proceeded to the smartphone screen? mine has currently been on the orange screen for 20 minutes after performing this reset.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Mine took less than 2-3 minutes, on both occations. Then proceded as explained elsewhere on the forums. Think you might have a problem ;). Can you not turn your phone off and try again?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest funky_munky

should the menu screen come up straight away after pressing the action key? mine just goes to a white screnn and stays there. it just wont load the menu. ;)

Guest vickerto
should the menu screen come up straight away after pressing the action key?  mine just goes to a white screnn and stays there.  it just wont load the menu.  ;)

You need to take the little plastic thingy out of the SD slot.

ok so im doing a hard reset...

I follow the instructions and turn the phone on with the Voice recorder button pressed down...it comesup with the boot screen..but then goes straight to the red green blue stripes with the word "serial" at the bottom of the screen.... no options...not asked any questions....

what did i do wrong ?

Ok so i wasnt holding the button down....I was expecting the process to wait on you pressing the action button...but it doesnt you have to hold it down for the process to actually catch the button press....

So its done....and noticably faster in the menus...but then windows always was faster after a reinstall ! :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest btnelson

The hard reset instructions work, but only if you have a real SD card inserted, or none at all. I tried to perform the hard reset with the plastic SD card dummy in the slot, and the phone just hangs with a white screen. Remove it and it works fine 8)

I follow the instructions and turn the phone on with the Voice recorder button pressed down...it comesup with the boot screen..but then goes straight to the red green blue stripes with the word "serial" at the bottom of the screen.... no options...not asked any questions....

no matter what I do it won't say to press the action key to get to the menus like it did before the update?

how do I do a hard reset now?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest krissburdett

:) Tryed all instructions on how to reset my phone but none of them work i have installed the orange update when i boot the phone i just gae a message ( Press any key to enter Boot loader ) no other options apear i press the action key and go straight to the Canary Screen ??

Any ideas !!

Kriss

Guest priccijr

Ok I get everything accept for the part where it's supposed to say "end". I don't get that screen and I can't get to the tri color screen so it never boots up right.

Any help here please?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Assuming you're running the UK1 update, there is no "end" option. Once it says "passed" after erasing IPSM simply hold the power button and it will reboot.

Guest Vector

Yeah i got confused with the bit where you select end coz there wasn't an option so i just powered down and powered up again and it was fine :wink:

Guest naumanmajeed

I just updated my SPV with UK Update and afterwards I don't see any options & the phone only goes to the Three color Canary Screen. I tried both with SD card inserted and without SD card inserted.

Any suggestions on how to get the menu back to normal and enter the diagnostic mode in order to hard reset the phone?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

The UK update updates the bootloader. Press and hold the record and action buttons and then power on, keep holding them until you get into the bootloader. Bear in mind theres only erase IPSM in the updated version.

Guest naumanmajeed

No luck even with switching On while holding the Action & Record Button. It just says "Press Any Key To Enter Boot Loader" and no mention of any other menu options.

I really need to Hard Reset the SPV. Any more tips?

Guest naumanmajeed

Yes it works. Thanks.

It's just that once on the screen ""Press Any Key To Enter Boot Loader" release the keys and hold Action key till you get in the diagnostic mode.

Any tips on getting the other options back on the Diagnostic menu? It just says erase IPSM

Guest krissburdett

I Had the same problem when it it says enter boot loader hold the action key for a few secounds mine took five secounds then enterd a on screen menu to reset the IPSM !!

Guest v1nn1e

To get the options back post uk update, you have to put the old bootloader back on to the phone. You could do this if you have a backed up version of the old bootloader on sd card using USBTerm. If you dont have a backed up copy then you can get one from some smartphone sites, but then you would have to use hex readers and stuff. I can't be bothered to be honest. Just use USBTerm