Icons at top of home screen

Guest Bazz

How do you change the icons at the top of the home screen? I always seem to have:

Orange Home (IE)

Contacts

Inbox

Calender

Call History

Contacts is on the soft key (providing you don't have any messages or anything).

Inbox and Calder are both on the screen (I've the default screen) so are pointless to be there.

I think Neil said on the newsgroup that these icons are supposed to display the last applications launched, but I don't think I've ever seen them change.

Would be nice if I could choose what went there (IM, WMP... etc). I've got these set up as speed dials, but speed dials aren't too speedy actually...

Barry

Guest MarsBar

I changed it by messing around with the XML files.

Works great and not difficult to learn.

Maybe we could work on posting a HowTo in this forum soon?

The answer what to change in the XML is also in the newsgroup that you read. I think it was posted earler last week.

I could post my one of my themes here if you want...

Yeah, but which file is your home page xml file? I can fiddle the xml if I know which file to edit. Had a quite look through the newsgroup, but can't find it.

Cheers,

Barry

Guest MarsBar

Download the zip attached.

Extract the two files

Copy the files into IPSMApplication DataHome

Change the home screen layout to Deamon

Set Colour scheme to default

Set Background image to default

Select done....

Is that what you were looking for???

(I'm still working on a colour scheme)

Uploading zip files here doesn't seem towork.

posted the file at:

http://www.spvmobile.com/deamon.zip

Ah now see what you are talking about. Couldn't unzip your file, but I now understand what you do.

For anyone else, here's the quick and easy guide to editing your home page:

Copy one of the .home.xml files from:

My SmartphoneWindows

to your computer. Edit it to your hearts content, rename it and then stick it on:

My SmartphoneIPSMApplication DataHome

Then you should be able to select that layout in Settings->Home Page (you may have to reboot for it to appear the first time).

The first thing you want to change is the title tage so you can recognise your home page.

Sorry - was being a bit thick there...

Barry

What's the quickest way or refreshing the home page? At the minute I'm going into settings, selecting a different home page. Then selecting mine again and then going home. A bit of a pain.

Also don't suppose there's a big list of icons somewhere is there?

Barry

Guest MarsBar

The refresh is very very slow. I agree.

Going back to the home page will force a reload.

I'm not sure why it takes the OS so long to read the xml file.

They should be able to build a preview screen into this darn OS.

Big list of icons would be fun. Grab the DLLs and extract the icons.

Guest diablojoe

Just been looking at M$ MSDN site and wondered if any one has managed to get the icons at the bottom of the screen.

sp02homescreen_fig1.gif

i tryed valign="bottom" but it didnt work, but i may have put this string in the wrong place.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What about a 'Orange SPV - GUI Modification' section so not to clutter up the General topic area. I can see quite afew poeple having question that the board gets more wide spread.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Guest GRussell

Can you change the colour of the text using this?

As I have a custom image on there, and with the black text it's really hard to see.

Would also be nice if we could change the fill on the boxes to just an outline. That way part of the image wouldn't be obscured all the time.

Cheers!

-Graham

Guest MarsBar

Read through the MSDN documentation. I think it will answer most of your questions.

All we need is someone who can create an application like the theme generator for pocketpc.

Load standard templates into the app. move things around and export it as three xml files and the background image. Anyone up for programming that???

Due to the signature requirement you still can't install smartphone themes as a cab file, which is *(&£$^£ stupid.

the link to the microsoft site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....2homescreen.asp

I think Neil said on the newsgroup that these icons are supposed to display the last applications launched, but I don't think I've ever seen them change.

It does do this if you select the "Full Layout" under Home Screen Settings. The last program you use is then displayed on the top icon bar starting on the left. You can also scroll through the icons (to the right) and it will act as a history of the apps you have used

Anyone know how to change the calendar part though, so that I can see my appointments tomorrow, not just today?

Rob

One your first point:

Yeah, you can either have a list of apps, of a history. I prefer a list of apps and have created my own home screen with the apps I want on the home screen.

On your second point no, doesn't look like it from the home screen. You can click on that link to go to the calender and then scroll left and right to go through the various days.

Barry

Just been looking at M$ MSDN site and wondered if any one has managed to get the icons at the bottom of the screen.

i tryed valign="bottom" but it didnt work, but i may have put this string in the wrong place.

I'm trying to get this as well, I think most plugins allow x,y type positioning but I'm not sure how to use it:)

You could give the plugin just above it a larger height, but this would only work if the other plugins didn't disappear.

Guest johnbanks

I've recreated the m$ msn screen above, but without the background image and colours.

Have a look and let me know what you think.

unzip the files and put into IPSMApplication DataHome

Not bad at all, one question, what colour scheme should I use with it. the orange one looks a bit daft!

A few suggestions:

Make the home screen have a little more content on it instead of just "orange" and "no upcoming appointments"

Guest MarsBar

It was a rough and dirty attempt to modify the home file.

Still working on new home screens. (where the home screen doesn't scroll down)

As I am sure many others are.....

Mars.

Another thing... what is that sysplug.dll plugin you have in the bottom?

Great homescreen btw :D

edit: if i choose the 'lunar' color scheme instead of the default one, there is a blue line under the sms/email/mms indicators... any way to remove that?

the only thing I can think of is either there is an align to bottom or a percentage height.

you can do percentage width but I tried the height but it didn't work, but then the documentation is pretty sparse:) although there should be more detailed docs soon.

Marsbar, i think i figured out why you could scroll in your home screen after messing around with it for a while. You should remove the

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{5419F376-6520-4407-B8B8-740F5B353EDA}" name="label" height="115" />

plugin :D the only thing it does is make an empty caption with no text and 115 height...

to get the mru list or another plugin at the bottom the only way is to use this method:(

and of course as one of the other plugins grows (say the calendar one) then the home screen goes a bit screwy.

Guest LiquidFX

My current home screen is the full layout with Luna theme - the only thing that id like there to be on the home screen is:-

SMS, MMS, Email as is displayed on the orange layout 1 theme

but on the luna full layout theme it only displays SMS, Email?

and also 2 repeat what another user said, has anyone got the small icons like shown on the MSDN site working yet?

if i get anywhere myself ill post a ling with a zip file of the theme.

thanx in advance for any help :D

Guest nightic

yep, mine's like that - only had a quick play so it's not that diff to the 'full' layout except for smaller icons (in the usual place, not at the bottom) plus a full message list (including mms etc).