Pocket SNES

Guest Goutetsuu

Guest Goutetsuu

i download this software from some site i can't remember, apparently it runs snes roms, but when i try to run the roms it seems the software crashes as the screen always freezes, anybody know why this is?

Anyone know know how to solve this problem?

Guest Coolboy1982
weird, ok it must for some other windows platform

seems so!

there are more emulators for windows ce, which may or may not be ported to the smartphone!

and for "normal" windows there is an emulator for virtually every console that ever existed!

Guest mashkhan

There is a SNES emulator for the Smartphone, Spacemonkey ported Pocketsnes over. It is very slow however. You will have to search for the topic, to download it.

Guest Coolboy1982
There is a SNES emulator for the Smartphone, Spacemonkey ported Pocketsnes over. It is very slow however. You will have to search for the topic, to download it.

Strangely enough I can only find an NES emulator, no SNES!

Even if there is one, and as you say, it runs really slow, than there is not

much point of having it! That would be similar to spacemonkeys attemt to run

a Gameboy Advance emulator just to show it could be done, which resulted

in 1 frame per second!

Therefore if you want to play games and not just see that something

theoretically (but badly) would work, stic to the NES and Gameboy (color)

emulators!

Correct me anyone if I am wrong and there is actually a possibility of

PROPERLY running SNES games on the spv!

Guest spacemonkey

Don't know what happened to the original pocketsnes post. I think the search on here ignores various words that give "too many" results.

Anyway, it was very messy, I'd barely got it to the working point and only posted it for peoples interest. The speed of pocketSnes was bad but not nearly as bad as gameboy advance

I'm gonna clean it up and get all the options going probably during this week/weekend, so just wait a bit and a nice clean version will appear :)

Edit- that would explain the search issues I've noticed ;)

Anyway, the original dirty version can be got here:

http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/PocketSNES.exe

Guest spacemonkey

The version I linked above works... it just doesn't have many features enabled. It runs in portrait mode droping 5/9 of the pixels. Sound doesn't go at all. I think it saves game states on exit and loads them on start but I can't remember.

Also, when you pause it by pressing the voice record button, it works but the screen looks all messed up, this should show a screen shot of the game in progress...

I'll be adding:

Sound, Landscape mode dropping 9/25 of the pixels and generally cleaning it up.

Guest spacemonkey

OK, just a quick teaser... I did some work on PocketSNES tonight... hopefully have a release in a day or 2...

It still doesn't save or let you set options, but I've fixed the pause screen so it shows game in progress rather than a messy mess. I've also got the landscape display modes fixed and scaling down for both left and right (depending which hand you wipe your bottom with). The landscape output was probably the most difficult task that remains on it... everything else is just menus and importing some code from gnuboy :)

Check these pics ( The pause picture is the same size as when playing games in portrait mode, about the same size as the screen in gnuboy)

microright.gif

micropause.gif

Guest spacemonkey

Speed won't be any better than it was with the very early beta release...

I heard that it was OK for some games, especially the right kind of game, like golf, but far too slow for most action games... It'll just be a case of trying it and seeing. I'm only really tidying it up cos it's there. It will become a more plausable app on the next generation of smartphone 2002 powered devices with faster cpus.

Guest Goutetsuu

hey, this is cool. i tried using the first pocket snes i got and it didn't work, as well as all the other emulators, such as gnuboy and smartNes.

am i installing them wrong, what do i need to do to get it to work properly?

Guest spacemonkey
hey, this is cool. i tried using the first pocket snes i got and it didn't work, as well as all the other emulators, such as gnuboy and smartNes.

am i installing them wrong, what do i need to do to get it to work properly?

Sorry, confused by your grammer. Are you saying that you haven't got SmartNES, gnuboy or PocketSnes working at all?

Do they run all? Do they get as far as the ROM list? Are there ROMs on the ROM list? How do they not work?

The installation instructions for gnuboy and PocketSnes are, make a directory on your phone anywhere (but I'd suggest on the storage card), copy the .exe (gnuboy.exe/pocketsnes.exe) to that directory. Get some ROMs (obviously by converting ROMs that you own yourself :lol: you'll have .gb and .gbc files for gnuboy and .smc and .fig files for SNES. Copy the rom files to the same directory as the exe file. Run it. That's it. Make a shortcut in /IPSM/Windows/Start Menu to make it easy to run (make sure it's a shortcut, not copying the whole exe into the start menu.)

Some ROMs may not work, so if in doubt try a few ROMs and maybe look around at games other people have mentioned as working (or for gnuboy my site has screen shots, the screen shot games work).

For more help, try posting something a little more detailed than "they all don't work", tell us what you tried, what happened, etc.

Guest Goutetsuu

ok, i have done what you have mentioned, with each of the emulators i have put them into a directory with their roms, and made a shortcut for the programs and placed them in the start menu.

ok with pocket snes, the program loads up and shows the 'intro screen' (Pocket Snes ver etc), i go to the load roms options, at this point it doesn't show the roms i have saved in the folder.

when i run gnuboy, this program just crashes on me, and i have to use task manager to close it down. before i thought it took a while to start up, so i left it hoping that it would start up, but it still stays in the same state as before.

with SmartNes, again similar to Pocket Snes, it shows the 'beginnig' screen, i try to load up a rom and it doesn't show the list of roms i have.

so what can i do from here?

Guest Shuflie

Have you tried deleting some things from your phone memory? The programs will need quite a bit of memory to run properly, what does task manager show for your available physical memory?

Guest spacemonkey

when you say that gnuboy just crashes on you and you have to kill it... does it display a white screen with nothing on it and a title bar which says 'gnuboy 0.95' or '1.0.3-0.4' and seems unresponsive?

If this is the case then it's just like pocketSNES, it's bringing up a list of roms, but not finding any roms. On that list (which is empty for some reason) try pressing the action button (middle of the joypad) which will select no rom and the emulator will probably exit.

Now, why it's not showing any roms. Possability 1. You have copied the exe to the start menu rather than making a shortcut to it. If this is the case the current directory for the app is the start menu so it can't find any roms. Try using smart explorer and running the exe direct from that in the directory with the roms.

Possibility 2. The roms have the wrong filenames. For gnuboy they MUST end in .gb and .gbc, for pocketSNES they MUST end in .smc or .fig.

Possibility 3. The roms are not in the same directory as the exe. Maybe you've made a directory /storage card/gnuboy and put the exe there and a directory /storage card/gnuboy/roms and put the roms there.

Any of those seem possible/help?

Guest Goutetsuu
when you say that gnuboy just crashes on you and you have to kill it... does it display a white screen with nothing on it and a title bar which says 'gnuboy 0.95' or '1.0.3-0.4' and seems unresponsive?  
yup it does exactly that, and at the bottom of the screen it shows the 'home' and 'menu' buttons

Now, why it's not showing any roms. Possability 1. You have copied the exe to the start menu rather than making a shortcut to it. If this is the case the current directory for the app is the start menu so it can't find any roms. Try using smart explorer and running the exe direct from that in the directory with the roms.  

no idid make the shortcuts into the start menu, but i will try running the program directly from smart explorer

Possibility 2. The roms have the wrong filenames. For gnuboy they MUST end in .gb and .gbc, for pocketSNES they MUST end in .smc or .fig.
i'm pretty sure i have the file name, but i'll check the zip files to see if the are the correct extension

Possibility 3. The roms are not in the same directory as the exe. Maybe you've made a directory /storage card/gnuboy and put the exe there and a directory /storage card/gnuboy/roms and put the roms there.

i remember putting the program with the roms all in the same directories without a separate directory for the roms

what i'll do i'll reinstall them all tonight, and try your suggestions, i hope i can get them to work, playing snes game on the phone seems insane! :twisted:

Guest spacemonkey
i'm pretty sure i have the file name, but i'll check the zip files to see if the are the correct extension

Um... so are the roms in a zip file on the phone?

If that's the case:

Try putting the roms on the phone unzipped. Gnuboy (and maybe pocketsnes) will work with compressed roms but the compressed rom needs to have the same file name as the rom itself. Ie... gzip Pokemon.gbc --> pokemon.gbc.gz which you rename back to pokemon.gbc and then gnuboy can use the compressed rom. But to make sure it works up front, DON'T compress them, just use the uncompressed ROM files.

Compression should work using normal zip but you still need to retitle them and I think you need a seperate zip file for each ROM...

for more info on zipping check what I said on http://www.davemoller-nz.demon.co.uk/gnuboy.html but certainly, get it working at all before starting to worry about compression.

Guest HungrySPV

The temptation of seeing Dungeon Master running on my SPV was too much. I kinda guessed it wouldn't work but I just had to try.

Well anyway on version 1.12.200 of Pocket SNES the Dungeon Master ROM doesn't work :lol: