Pocket SNES

Guest Goutetsuu

Guest spacemonkey

I'll track down that rom and have a look... however. Compatability wise the changes I'm making to pocket snes will probably NOT affect ROM compatability.

The problem is some SNES roms have custom chips in the cartridge which would have to be specifically coded and emulated. The emulator only emulates the parts of the SNES that are standard in the console, so some ROMs will just not work.

Guest SPVSi

Hi all,

Have recently installed Pocket Snes v1.12.200 on my SPV but cannot get it to load up atall, it will either freeze on the start screen or come up with 'not enough memory to run' or somthin like that, now im not quite sure what to make of this, I have a 64mb SD so no probs there, I hope does this mean i dont have enough physical mem or am i just doin sumthin horribly wrong?

Please help, i wanna play Snes games on ma Phone!!!!

Thanx

Si

Guest spacemonkey

Just remember, the current release of pocket snes is very beta... it's just the first version I got to work at all.. shortly there will be a more complete version.

BUT... it may not run with all roms, not much I can do here, just try different roms, also, it will not be very fast at all... I see this emulator very much as being an emerging emulator for future smartphone 2002 devices based on faster processors...

If it's complaining specifically about memory, post the exact error message it is giving, if it's an error from pocket snes iteslf, I can deal with it and tell you what's wrong. If it's an error message from the phone, then there's not much I can do except say that you want to keep IPSM as small as possible and put your apps on the sd card and that you want to run task manager and close all apps except tray before running an emulator for maximum performance.

Guest HungrySPV
I'll track down that rom and have a look... however.  Compatability wise the changes I'm making to pocket snes will probably NOT affect ROM compatability.

The problem is some SNES roms have custom chips in the cartridge which would have to be specifically coded and emulated.  The emulator only emulates the parts of the SNES that are standard in the console, so some ROMs will just not work.

Yep you are right.

http://dmweb.free.fr/DMDownloads.htm#Dunge...r%20Super%20NES

(Rom is here too)

Currently, no SNES emulator on PC can run Dungeon Master. This is because the Dungeon Master for SNES cartridge includes a custom DSP chip (Digital Signal Processor) which is not emulated. The DSP chip helps the SNES to handle more advanced 3D effects in mode 7 than it can handle normally.

However, the following procedure will allow you to watch the introduction and listen to some music. The emulator will hang when you try to start a new game.

;)

Any chance you can do an Atari ST, or Amiga emulator for the Smartphone :lol:

Guest Syvwlch

sometimes, Pocket SNES just won't die.

end game. exit cleanly thru menu. go to task manager and kill all non-sys apps. start DivX player (for example) and it will revert to the rom selection menu at randomtimes!

Guest SPVSi

SpaceMonkey...The Error message just reads 'PocketSnes needs more memory' thats all.

I dont think its an error message from the phone, could be wrong.

My IPSM folder is nearly empty tho 6.69Mb out of 7.50Mb

Physical Memory is showing 7268Kb out of 12836Kb if that makes any difference?

Both seem to be fairly free Does this help?

Thanx Again

Si

Guest spacemonkey

OK, I'll see if I can find that error message in the code... One possability, what size is the ROM file you are using? I did reduce the maximum ROM size compared to the Pocket PC implementation due to the memory size of the SPV. Not sure what the limit is now, but it might be 3 or 4 Mb. If the ROM you are trying is very big it probably won't work.

Try a nice small rom (the only SNES rom I have/have tried is MicroMachines).

The state of play: The existing version is bad, doesn't save states etc. I have got most functions sorted out now (landscape left/right, states saved/loaded on start/exit, screen shot when paused, frameskip settings). You can even turn on sound (although when I did this it just hung, I'd expect sound to be terrible even if it does work on some roms). I'm just finishing off allowing customisation of the controls and then I'll put the new one up.

Guest SPVSi

Ok Thanx SpaceMonkey!

The rom i am using atm is zelda3.smc (Legend of Zelda LTTP) and it is 1mb, is this ok ?

looking forward to new version. Good job!

Si

Guest Billy Marrafyass

Mr. Space Monkey - u r a genius : I have gnuby smartNES and Pocket SNES. On PscketSNES you have helped relive the hacyon days of 1942. Marvellous.

I have acquired (through legal means, of course) a load of SNES roms. Any suggestions on which roms people currently use for PocketSNES??