Free SMS

Guest BAMN

I dont know if this is possible, just an idea. Could you use the free internet to access a web site that provides free text messaging. And if so has anyone tryed it and could they give me the web address. :D :( :(

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

i've found that the free mms offer counts towards sms's as well. not had my bill through yet though to confirm. This is on until the end of feb, so we have two months of free texts if someone knows a site.

I had an o2 sim up until december, so i use o2 for free messaging, not sure if you can use a none-o2 phone number to register though

Guest HelloDave

There is a Java app that let you send texts via GPRS (which wouldn't use much data, bearing in mind an SMS is about 200 bytes) but of course it's only available for the 7650 because of damn certification :evil: I can't remember what website it was, but you signed up with the company and then sent texts through their server for a lower price than orange. I thought it could solve my "Orange are tight and don't allow text bundles on ED 50" problem, but sadly not - damn certification (and Orange aren't going to rush to sign something that steals their revenue)!

Of course, sending texts via the web or another app is technically against the T&Cs for the SPV promotion pack, but since Orange themselves can't decide what they are anyway I don't think it's really a problem :D

Guest Scoobyroo

To send free SMS messages register at http://www.boltblue.com/ and then use IE on your SPV to access the site, enter your log in details and free text away!

Only problems being that it's a bit more hassle than sending an SMS direct from your phone and that you are limited to 15 messages a month. Having said that www.genie.co.uk (now O2) will let you send up to 100 free text messages per month. Problem is, I can't seen to get theirs to work via my SPV????

Scoob

Lycos also lets u send free texts (5 a day i think) u just have to register, but the site is less than SPV friendly so its probably worth checking on ur PC first. Its a good idea but i'd ather just pay the few pence and save the hassle!

There was one place I saw where you send an email to @the-sms-place.com and it would send an sms.

The other person would get one with a reply number of your phone I think.

Guest adrianfox

The T&Cs from these free sites almost always prohibit accessing them indirectly. So you can't legally develop any kind of indirect interface or client application.

Also they usually change the interface quite often to thwart such efforts.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Turns out theres a box at work that dials into the GSM network, allowing me to send unlimited SMS's for free ;).

Just need to wait for a SmartPhone telnet app now, or work out how to create one myself...

Guest Scoobyroo

LOL... sorry mate. The original URL you posted had a comma in the hyperlink, hence the link didn't work.

I'm sure the guys figured it out themseleves, I was just a little bored thats all! I'm also trying to get to member status so I can post an avatar (can't seem to at the moment???) and every post helps!

Scoob

Guest Scoobyroo

hmmm, that's wierd then, cause I can't get it to work???

I use 'Upload Avatar from your machine:' and browse to select image, then click submit (at no time is the image selected displayed in the profile page). Next time I go into profile, no avitar is displayed.

I've even just created a dot in PaintShop, to ensure the image was below min size/image size requirements. Still no go?

I assume I should be able to use .JPG or .GIF?.

Guest Scoobyroo

Well I never... I used PSP to reduce an image way below the 80x80 i had been using, making the file size about 4kb and it's worked a treat. Sure it's not the image I want but I'll change that now.

:shock: Moral of the story.... Don't assume that just because you've resized the image to 80x80 in PSP and it is less that 6kb that it will work as an avatar (though why I don't know :roll: ).