165 replies to this topic

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II

I received this phone yesterday and can confirm that the one's being shipped direct from Orange do indeed have WMP10 installed.

side note.. have found all your posts here very useful as a lurker the last few days..

Anybody here had experience of using Skype over Wifi.  Set this all up last night, yet Skype voice quality was very poor.  My Wifi signal strength was around half, and couldn't get that any higher.  Is this a common issue, or possibly just my wifi connection playing up?

Thanks

Og

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) We do our best.

Not used Skype myself (yet?) so not much help I can offer I'm afraid.

Touch Screen Junkie

Touch Screen Junkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:My child and wife, gadgets, snowboarding, cars
  • Devices:HTC Hero

:) We do our best.

Not used Skype myself (yet?) so not much help I can offer I'm afraid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used Skype the other day on my M2000 with the same signal strength as you, and had 2 conversations of varying quality actually.

I think it might depend on the quality of the other person's microphone. The first conversation was like a low freequency low bitrate mp3, really tinny and echoey. The second was considerably clearer.

It's probably dependent on the weakest link in the chain. The low quality call was from my mate on his VAIO laptop, using his own wireless router, whereas the higher quality conversation was on a desktop with fixed line broadband.

I think we might have to accept that it won't be the same quality as a proper phone call and be grateful that it works at all, I suppose. Remember, all this is still fledgling technology really.

justsomeoneelseagain

justsomeoneelseagain

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:spv m2000

Follow up to my Question regarding WMP10 - Recieved my M2000 today (Monday 11th July), and despite being told by Orange UK themselves that it would only have WMP9 installed, it has WMP10!!!  ROM info is...
Jon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Orange are now shipping M2000s with WMP10 it'll be quite a coup. Where did you get your device from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hello all,
..hmm, so how does wmp10 differ to wmp9 ? should i damaged my m2000 so i get a wmp10 version replacement ?

my mobile phone history:-
nokia orange, nokia 702, nokia 7110, spv, spv e200, spv m2000

ogganova

ogganova

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV M2000
I wonder if it's the throughput on my Wifi to the M2000. I call through my PC which is ethernet to broadband to various either fixed lines, or other PC's and the call quality is excellent. Is there anyway to test the speed of your connection? The other thing could be just that the processor limites the speed that data is sent or received. Sorry thinking out loud there :)

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hermes

The other thing could be just that the processor limites the speed that data is sent or received.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is in fact the limit, or perhaps the speed of writing to the storage area or SD-card. Downloads from my own webserver on a local network don't seem to go quite as fast as they might. Just an observation, not exactly scientific. No hastles with streaming though, but I've only had limited experience, mostly audio. Microsoft hasn't updated their WiFi media page in six months! Anyone know of any other sites that work on the phone (except trailers, yawn)? And why is this the most thread-jacked topic on the planet...? :)

Edited by fraser, 18 July 2005 - 07:59 PM.

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

...and why is this the most thread-jacked topic on the planet...? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D :)

Dade

Dade

Phone Edition Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN

And why is this the most thread-jacked topic on the planet...? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thread that made Dade famous! No complaints from me! lol

Independent device reviews: Tracy And Matt's Blog

travisb

travisb

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@marksou
Must admit I've no complaints using Skype on my M2000 via my home wifi. Get good clarity of calls, even using Skype Out to phone my brother's landline in Aus (broadband hasn't reached his particular bit of North Queensland yet!).

One thing I do have hassle with when connected to my network is using Internet Explorer - keeps going via GPRS

[sigtracker]9444[/sigtracker]

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

One thing I do have hassle with when connected to my network is using Internet Explorer - keeps going via GPRS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That can be changed in the network options, under the "advanced" section. "Programs that connect to the internet should automatically connect using:" and you get a drop down list for GPRS/work network etc.

Dade

Dade

Phone Edition Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN
Anyone else have this problem:

Each time I use WiFi I have to go into the GPRS and network setting and reset everything.

Independent device reviews: Tracy And Matt's Blog

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
Dade, read the previous post. ;-) Got into each connection, there will be a "work/internet" selection thingy. Make sure they are all on the same one, then go into the menu I described and set it to the same.

adrury7

adrury7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
wonder which will you go for spv m500 or spv m2000 and why

itsallymcmental

itsallymcmental

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:SPVM2000
ok before I start let me point out I am female and blonde. Just received the m2000 from my insurance co, its an orange phone and I am on voda, how do I unlock it? Also see that ebay are selling tom tom software if I buy this what else do I need to run the sat nav? If I decide to sell it instead what price would be realistic for it as its still in its box?
How do you men cope with this stuff lol, I am lost just looking at it.
Any help please would be great but be gentle with me these things scare me.
Many thanks

fraser

fraser

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

ok before I start let me point out I am female and blonde. Just received the m2000 from my insurance co, its an orange phone and I am on voda, how do I unlock it? Also see that ebay are selling tom tom software if I buy this what else do I need to run the sat nav? If I decide to sell it instead what price would be realistic for it as its still in its box?
How do you men cope with this stuff lol, I am lost just looking at it.
Any help please would be great but be gentle with me these things scare me.
Many thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) stating you are female always helps in forums, many spotty young boys think they can help you out and get in your knickers. :( Don't see it as a disadvantage, a guy I know always puts female in his profile due to this "helpful" attitude of other members :o Besides, the smartest chick I know (2 x phd) is blonde...

2) unlock is discussed in the thread "Blue Angel Free Sim-unlock" in this forum

3) ebay software is often dodgy, buyer beware. TomTom don't sell their stuff without the hardware. The hardware is a GPS unit, you can get either wired or bluetooth ones. You don't need to use the official one; I got a second GPS that works with TomTom from eBay for a 60 quid delivered (some german company I think)

4) resell value: dunno, look on eBay and see what they are currently selling for. Always look at the actual sale prices when the auction closes.

5) we cope 'cos most of us are geeky! If it's not complicated it bores me!

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
Only one correction to Fraser's post and I know where he's coming from...

TomTom for Pocket PC IS legitimately available without the Bluetooth GPS unit. It's just the Smartphone version that isn't. (still recommend you don't buy software off ebay though)

Smidge

Smidge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Guys. Nice reading your stuff. You all know way more than me about this stuff. Dade, good review. After reading your review i got myself one of these fancy M2000's. It's cool, i really like it but there are a few things that i haven't quite figured out yet. I wonder if you guys could help me.

1. How do i turn a media file (an MP3) into a ringtone?
2. How can i organise my playlists so that it doesn't just try to play every tune that i have on my phone?
3. How can i get some sort of adaptor to change that stupid 2.5 jack into a 3.5 jack so that i can plug in my own headphones/speakers? This is a real annoyance to me, here i have a great mp3 player and i can barely use it.

Cheers guys,

Smidge

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

1. How do i turn a media file (an MP3) into a ringtone?
2. How can i organise my playlists so that it doesn't just try to play every tune that i have on my phone?
3. How can i get some sort of adaptor to change that stupid 2.5 jack into a 3.5 jack so that i can plug in my own headphones/speakers? This is a real annoyance to me, here i have a great mp3 player and i can barely use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Can't remember if this is pos or not so will leave to someone else to answer :o
2. Unfortunately the Windows Media Player that ships with most Blue Angels (the product name given to this by manufacturers HTC) is version 9 which doesn't include playlist support. But there's other music software that will do the job. Most people seem to recommend TCMP player. It's also possible to unlock your device to any rom update (through www.imei-check.com) as the latest updates from I-mate (for example) include Windows Media Player 10 with playlisting.
3. Be wary as the headset socket seems to use a strange polarity that most 2.5 headphones/converters can't deal with. Buy this 2.5 to 3.5 converter here as it is specially designed for the device (the PDA2K is the Imate version of the Blue Angel).

Hope it all goes well! 8)

Smidge

Smidge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Pondrew, You guys are all so friendly and helpful. Very often you go to these types of forum and are met with disdain if you can't memorize your own imei number. So many thanks. Also, do you know how to make my "Blue Angel" stop connecting to GPRS without my permission as it's probably gonna cost me a fortune.

Ta

Smidge

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
Well, it'll either be the email settings set to automatically poll your email account at regular intervals or some software that you've installed. The device shouldn't be able to make it's own gprs connection otherwise, unless you mean that buttons are being pressed while it's in your pocket/bag. If so in settings / system / button lock select "lock all buttons except power button" or alternatively look into software to lock the device.

Thanks for your kind words, we do our best! We've got some great members here and I've been delighted at how helpful folks who only recently switched to Pocket PC Phone edition (like me) have been. Hopefully the Pocket PC section will continue to go from strength to strength.

I started off just like you over three years ago (still remember when my post count was in single figures!). I discovered this forum while researching an exciting new device I'd heard of called an Orange SPV (the original Smartphone)! Everyone was so helpful and MoDaCo enabled me to get so much more out of the device then I ever would have done otherwise. Over time I picked up enough to be able to give something back... :o

Smidge

Smidge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's cool.

Also i found out about setting music as my ringtone. You have to make sure that the music files you have on your phone are in .wav format rather than .mp3 or .wma. Saving (or converting) them to .wav will give you the option of using these tunes as a ringtone. Although i would like to be able to set a different tone for my message alert and my alarm. I guess i've just been used to nokia.

Speak soon

Smidge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users