SMS Creation M2000 BUG **FIXED SORT OF**

Guest theanarch1st

Guest theanarch1st

I seem to be asking a lot of question recently lol ah well guess i'm jus curious about the phone thats all

When i create an sms it says 100 is 2 msgs and 160 is 3 msgs ??? are orange charging me for 3 msgs or will it just send 160 as 1 msg???

thank you :)

i hope its not 3 for 160 and that its just a programming thing on the fone

yep, you have spotted one of the M2000 bugs. Its thinks that the maximum length of the SMS message is 70 chrs once you get over about 60!?

Ive reported this to Orange and Im trying to find out what you will be charged for. I think its just a bug in the counter but want to be sure!

Guest philgriffiths

just out of interest have you looked to see how times the phone displays the 'message sent' screen?

Or better yet.. can you work out how many text messages you have sent since your monthly allowance started? i.e if you know you have 50 free texts per month and reckon you have sent say 10 you could give orange a tinkle and ask them how many free texts you have left, thus telling you how your M2000 has broken down the message when sending it.

Or alternativley stop sending really long texts and just phone people! (just kidding. :wink: )

I can now tell you why this happens. Its to do with 8bit and 16bit text characters. if a message contains 16bit chrs it can be a max of 70 chrs in length.

You will notice that it you use the work "Dont" it get auto corrected to "Don't" the ' is a 16bit chr and therefor enforces the 70 chr limit.

This didnt happen on the M1000 though so I would think it could be fixed!

I spoke at length with the engineers at Orange. Obviously they are no aware of it (they were told a while ago) and are speaking with HTC to get it fixed.

The bad news and the bottom line is that, yes, you would be charged for each message under those conditions. The thing to do it to be keep an eye on the counter and make sure you delete the apostrophe that it inserts. If you do that it reverts to 160 chrs anyway.

Some affected word that autocorrect will 'adjust' are:

Dont = Don't

Im = I'm

Ive = I've

Please post additional words you find!

Just checked this out as I had experienced the problem and managed to find a work around without really knowing what I'd done.

It seems that if you let the device auto correct for you it inserts a ’ apostrophe and your sms reduces to 70 chars (as stated).

However, if you type the full word including the apostrophe using Fn-v on the keyboard you get a ' and your sms stays at 160 chars.

Now if only there was a way to turn the auto correct off...

Guest theanarch1st

FIXED!!!!!

Not fully but i have disabled it from auto correcting your words to make them the 16 bit chars

if you go to

Start > settings > Input > Word Completion > then un tick the replace text as you type, this removes the replacing 16 bit chars

HOOORAY no more triple msgs (the ppc still displays words for you to select if you wish)

Guest lewis.curley

Possibly a better fix is go to Messaging > Accounts > Accounts...> Text Messages > Use unicode when necessary and uncheck seems to stop the counter from changing to 70

Hope this helps if anyone could help with my Intellidialer question in the One Handed use thread i would be most grateful.

Posted from my M2000

Well done that man, you just beat me to the post on this, I was talking to Orange at the time you posted! Orange are now looking into the impact of making this change.

I asked if this could be done via sim update.

Guest theanarch1st

Unicode is the extension of the ASCII code (8 bits) which allows only 256 chars to be entered, changin it to 16bits (unicode) allows all charachters to be covered but takes up more space am guessin thats why u can only send a smaller msg with unicode cause its a larger message

• 2 months later...
Guest its_millertime22

er, this is not a fix, since the blue angel will still try and insert the unicode apostrophe instead of the normal one, resulting (when I send a text with 'don't' to my mpx200) in a question mark replacing the apostrophe if unicode support is switched off...

...so I don't know what to do cos I like it autotext. hopefully it's fixed in a ROM update...?

• 9 months later...
Guest sumilux

I recently got my Orange bill covering a month long trip to the US and was stunned by the total as I'd used it predominantly for sms. On further inspection it appears too am affected by the Unicode 70 character bug and was charged nearly a quid for most messages sent!!!

On raising this with Orange CS I was initially told that the overcharges for my US trip were due to the foreign networks and so nothing to do with Orange. Their answer was "Take it up with the 3 US networks listed on your bill". Furious and not buying it I hit Google and quickly discovered the Unicode bug.

Looking through my bills going back to March when I upgraded to the M2000 It appears I've been affected ever since but never noticed as I'm on a bundle deal and never scan the sms part of the bill closely. So I called CS again who logged an investigation request with their technical department. They got back to me a few days later with the following answer:

"The Unicode setting can be switched off, it is up to you to do so. Orange is therefore not liable"

I spent a good 5 minutes trying to explain that this would be a valid response if the phone was shipped with the setting DIS-ABLED Nowhere does it warn me that the phone comes pre configured with a 70 character sms limit but kept getting the same response "Orange is not liable, we have done all we can"

Call CS now and ask them how many characters in an sms and all will tell you 160. Ask them about 70 character limits and I guarantee that they won't know what you are talking about. Why should I know about this, the box should come with a big flouro sticker informing us of this pre-configured limit and instruction on how to return the phone to a 'normal' state.

As far as I'm concerned Orange are quietly ripping off thousands of M2K and M500 owners and thus liable. There are members on various SPV forums who notified Orange of this bug right back in March and before. Orange has done nothing, not even the most recent rom upgrade solves this problem. I am entitled to compensation/refund for any overcharges. Someone in Oranges database department needs to write a script that scans all M2K / M500 bills and logs all instances of two or three messages sent to the same number in the same minute (or in some cases over two minutes if the sms was sent during the last few seconds of a particular minute) then calculate a refund. Simple but I suspect they are ignoring it until people make a fuss.

So what next. I'd like to get a group of us 'affected' M2k and M500 users together and scream loud and clear that we are eligible for compensation. If they ignore this then I'll get a Journalist friend to release a story on the news wire. Mobile carrier rips off customers. In insurance circles there is an popular phrase. ‘The squeaky wheel gets the oil’

Does anyone know whether O2 XDA phones come with the same fault btw?

:evil:

Guest its_millertime22

I doubt it's Oranges fault - probably Microsoft's or whoever made the SMS software in the phone. But yeah, Orange should refund the messages... but did it really cost you that much extra? I'd prefer not to draw big attention to flaws in Windows Mobile phones when I'd quite like it that people bought more or them, and I'm sure most other windows mobile users feel the same. At the same time though I'm sure we'd quite like all these problems fixed.

Guest sumilux

I was overcharged by more than 50 pounds in a single month whilst abroad (read about 70p to over a pound per sms over 1 month!! 35p per message on US roam). So far as i'm concerned its significant enough to make a fuss.

Once you calculate how much I've been overcharged since March, this figure becomes serious. By supplying me a handset that is pre-configured to overcharge Orange are immediately liable. I guess the manufacturer may be equally liable to Orange but I insist that O should have spotted this bug before releasing the phone to the public. What’s worse is that nothing has been done about resolving it and there is solid proof that they were notified of the problem at least 8 months ago not to mention their shameless accusation that I am to blame. People, these companies are making plenty enough out of us already, why let them get away with overcharging due to software bugs???

By not correcting the problem Orange earns extra money out of a lot of unsuspecting customers, and a lot of it if you count the thousands of M2k/M500 affected handsets.

This is not a good look period. I'm sure the people who can fix the problem at Orange as well as those at the top who'll have to answer for it are unaware as most SPV users but regardless it shows how useless and rude their customer service department can be. Doesn't say much about their internal comms channels either. Not good for a corporate like Orange. Shareholders don't like stories like this.

Hence I ask, does this problem affect O2 XDA equivalents as well or is it just Orange phones?

Regarding the previous post, Dude are you serious ??? Why would I want to allow this mobile phone carrier get away with the above in order to protect the public image of Bill Gates' mobile phone operating system....

M2k / M500 owners, please check your phone bills, look for multiple messages sent to the same number in the same minute.

Thank you.

So what next. I'd like to get a group of us 'affected' M2k and M500 users together and scream loud and clear that we are eligible for compensation. If they ignore this then I'll get a Journalist friend to release a story on the news wire. Mobile carrier rips off customers. In insurance circles there is an popular phrase. ‘The squeaky wheel gets the oil’

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Count me in. I'm an Orange customer, pissed off by this, and I also keep all of my bills. I can easilly check how often it's happened, though I have been aware of the issue for several months.

• 5 months later...
Guest PhilGDUK

Glad i finally found this thread! been using so many more text messages because of that damn fault, orange didn't have a clue what it was!