questions about qtek s100 / imate jam

Guest namiran

Guest namiran

hi!

i have the imate sp3 right now, but i've ordered the qtek s100 now wich is the same as the imate jam. can someone please help me with answereing these questions:

1. is the jam better then the sp3 in terms of ease of use and battery time?

2.can someone post pictures of just them two next to eachother?

3. can you have the jam in your front pockets? doesnt that mess up the screen or something?

4. does the jam FEEL good? what i mean is does it feel like quality or a first time experiment like the spv phones (except maybe c500) did?

5.can you browse websites with frames and java on the jam using a wlan sdio card?

6.does anybody know if the reception on a wlan card is good?

really thankfull for answeres!

Guest Paul [MVP]

1. It's different in terms of use... Battery time will likely be fairly similar?

2. I'll take one later ;-)

3. I have it in my front pocket, and have carried Pocket PCs there before, should be OK!

4. It feels fabulous ;-)

5. No frames and java in Pocket IE (Netfront may well do it), my wlan SDIO works fine.

6. Reception I have found is pretty good...

P

Guest namiran

Thanks for the answeres!

My battery on my c500 lasts about 1 to 2 days when i play games and listen to mp3 on it, can i expect the battery time on the jam to be like it?

And one more thing, hows writing sms? does it feel good or does it make you think "crap, i'll just call instead..."?

*waiting for your picture* :)

Thanks again Paul!

Regarding SMS, if you receive one, is it possible to read it and reply without getting the stylus out? (Using the phonepad thing or whatever to type) And can you write one from scratch like this as well?

Having read every word I can find on this device this is the one thing I would really like to know. I dont like to be standing in public, receive an SMS, and have to get out the stylus to reply. Basically is one handed operation possible in respect to SMS?

Thanks

Thanks for quick reply, thats excellent news. So i'm guessing when you get a msg you can just tap read/reply with your thumb and type using T9 on the phone pad thing?

Never had a pocket pc, just E200 and C500 (best phone ever, 3 friends bought one because of mines so I got £25 from each!). I love gadgets and know I would love this device.

One more question while I'm here, I assume you can keypad/screen lock pocket pc's so you can put it in your pocket, but can this be set/removed with one hand? i.e. without stylus.

As you can see I'm concerned about one handed operation if necessary because basically I know I would get laughs from my mates standing in say a pub with a stylus.

Guest Paul [MVP]

That's correct.

I just set it so that all buttons are disabled when off except the power button, and that does fine.

One handed is definitely possible fine on the Jam with some clever setup (e.g. the right shortcuts on the main screen etc).

P

Guest namiran

Paul, i've looked around at many websites to find nice looking and as informative homescreens (todays screens) for the jam, but all they seem to do is change the theme colour and background images...

compared to the homescreens on the SPV range, i think that is pretty lame... :) are there cool todayscreens or is that a no go??

i cant seem to find plugins either, it seems all plugins are applications, and the nice ones cost pretty much, do they use much system resource too?

Guest namiran

thats really kinda turn-off when coming from sp3 to qtek s100, but i guess i'll survive...just hope theres a alarm plugin like the one for wm2003 smartphone edition :)

As this thread is entitled questions I think I'll ask you people in the know a few more.

I'm unfamiliar with pocketpcs so was wondering if the 5-way pad works similar to a smartphone. Eg. can you use it to cycle down through items on the today screen such as sms and calender and press the center button to open the item?

Also, I know you can change volumes and vibrate options etc but are there set profiles like a smartphone which can be changed quickly?

Cheers and Merry Christmas to everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

New poster here, planning to go from a Treo 600 to the C500 or possibly Jam, if Orange can get it out quickly enough!

I am wondering if you guys could share your experiences going from the C500 to the Jam, and why you chose to do so.

My own experience with the Treo has been that, after all the initial playing around, I ended up essentially using it mostly as a phone and Outlook synching device, carrying my schedule and ToDo's around with me - and SMS'ing. I didn't use many other add-ons.

Do you think I should just go for the (smaller) C500 - or pay up for the JAM and get the bigger (touch) screen and all other capabilities?

I'm also wondering if someone could compare the size of the JAM to the Treo 600. I found the Treo slightly bulky, meaning that I could potentially carry it in my pants' pockets but found myself leaving it at home if I was to go for a long walk or to a club. How does the JAM compare in that domain - both compared to the Treo and the C500?

Thank you in advance for your responses,

Loukas

Guest FragMeister

Now that people have had theirs for a bit longer - can anyone comment further on the battery life now?

I have an SPV1, which i charge every day which is a boor. Can I expect to have to do the same with this, or could i get 3+ days as per the C500 (the alternative option for me)?

Guest mike-oh

reading this has put aside some of my fears, especially those regarding stylus use in the pub! :lol:

Cheers!

(come on shiny thing hurry up and get here!)