I've taken the plunge

Guest Blakey

After weeks of research I've decided to finally buy this little chapette. Sounds like MS Voice Command is a requirement (and the new version appears to be superb from the sounds of the reviews). I'm also going to load some GPS S/W onto it, for definite.

Here's hoping my 1GB Mini SD card (also from the MoDaCo shop) will work in it!!

Cheers

Blakey

Edited by Blakey

After weeks of research I've decided to finally buy this little chapette.  Sounds like MS Voice Command is a requirement (and the new version appears to be superb from the sounds of the reviews).  I'm also going to load some GPS S/W onto it, for definite.

Here's hoping my 1GB Mini SD card (also from the MoDaCo shop) will work in it!!

Cheers

Blakey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good job that mini SD comes with an adaptor because the jam takes normal SD's, just ordered myself one off ebay infact (£50 with p+p), you will be happy with the phone mate it rocks :D

I've also just ordered some screen protectors from Brando. Hopefully they will arrive reasonably quickly. Until they do I think I'll be keeping the default screen cover on the JAM.

Blakey

Guest chucky.egg
Good job that mini SD comes with an adaptor because the jam takes normal SD's, just ordered myself one off ebay infact (£50 with p+p), you will be happy with the phone mate it rocks  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that a 1Gb miniSD card you got for £50?

Guest AsymetricDesign
I've also just ordered some screen protectors from Brando.  Hopefully they will arrive reasonably quickly.  Until they do I think I'll be keeping the default screen cover on the JAM.

Blakey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the Jam come with a screen protector on anyway?! How can I tell if mine has got one one, it doesn't look or feel like it has one on?! If they do come with screen protectorson anyway, why change it, is the standard one crap or something?

the 1GB was a normal SD guys, damn good prices at the minute on ebay.

My jam came with a sticker on the screen that said 'Imate' all over it, you would notcie it for sure, ive been using the case myself to be honest im waiting for paul to review the silicon case hes getting before i take the plunge for one of those

Guest Paul [MVP]

Silicon Case is very nice, I want to clarify with Brando exactly why it has 'ears' tho ;-)

Bear in mind it doesn't have any sort of screen protection...

P

Silicon Case is very nice, I want to clarify with Brando exactly why it has 'ears' tho ;-)

Bear in mind it doesn't have any sort of screen protection...

P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn i thought it covered the screen as well

hmmm might have to get some screen protectors myself then :-(

Also need a car holder to go with my new rikaline bluetooth GPS :-D

Wahooo!

My JAM has just arrived. I've plugged it into charge here at my desk and have put my SIM Card into it. Did the usual set up stuff (I'm fairly familiar with Pocket PCs so that was easy). I've also tried a quick call to my office phone just to ensure the SIM is working okay in there and it is. Wicked stuff.

First impression: how small!???! Superb - just what I was hoping for and more size wise. Much lighter and better form factor than my E200 which it is replacing. It feels about the same as my old iPaq 1910 which I replaced with my E200. Perfect.

Second impression: its lovely to have "instant on/off" on a phone. Literally press the on button and you have it on. Press it again and it is instantly off. Million times better than the E200.

Third impression: well useful to have an icon for screen rotation on the task bar by default. Good work iMate.

Can't wait to get some software on this and really give it a whirl!

If anyone is reading this, it says in the manual to charge it for 8 hours before use. Presumably you can use it on A/C power before that 8 hours though? I assume that will charge the battery as you use it? Also, seeing as it charges through the USB, presumably I can pug it into my PC and sync it now, as that will charge as it goes?

Thanks!

Blakey

After 24 hours (and a bit):

This device is neat.

Things I've added/got going in 24 hours:

Hotmail Inbox (thanks to MoDaCo Plus).

Voice Commander v1.5 (very cool, especially in the car for playing tunes).

Paired with my Jabra BT250. Works perfectly.

ActiveSync over BT. Very handy - I hate wires! :-)

MS Reader - loaded all my eBooks onto my SD card.

MobiReader - I have some Mobi books I've also loaded up. Have enabled them for my new JAM too.

Orange GPRS Pack - good work iMate.

I'm still looking for a good (preferably free) task manager. I tried the lastest vBar, but that doesn't work in Landscape mode. Anyone got a suggestion?

Things I'm loading up tonight: Tom Tom and Memory Map! Should be a busy evening!

Cheers

Blakey

Guest inspectorgadjet

I'm really jealous. I want one too!!!!

I wish Orange offered their own version on contract. If I hadn't just taken two Orange 3g phones last month I would consider getting one on another network. Expansys offer them quite cheaply with a Vodafone contract.

I'll just keep drooling over them for now. I'll probably hit the point of no more patience sometime soon and buy one sim free. Anyone want to be the most generous person on earth and just give me one free? :D

Guest chucky.egg

I hate you all [-(

Nothing wrong with my C500, but my eyes have been straying lately.

Just need to find a reason to get it ...

NO, must be strong

"but I'm so sleek and luverly"

NO ... will...not...weaken...must...be...strong

I just upgraded my E200 to a JAM. Superb choice. :-)

Last night I loaded up TomTom and Memory Map onto my JAM. Both work really well in testing.

I have also just added Magic Button (freeware) to my JAM - the perfect task manager. Looks excellent - and it's free!

Sunday I'm off on my bike for a ride on the South Downs somewhere. I'll use TomTom to get there and Memory Map once there to track my route. Will report on my successes on Monday...

Cheers

Blakey

Guest chucky.egg

See what you've gone and done now!

I've had to talk work into buying one for me! :D/

Quick question, maybe a stupid one... When I'm replacing the Smartphone apps, what platform am I buying for?

Is it a PPC PE device?

And can any PPC apps run on it, or are there limitations?