Use my PC's Internet connection

Guest pietta

Guest pd.ryder

Using E200, no 'passthrough' listed on the connection list but it seems ok on 'automatic'.

However, any url I try to access insl. Orange World homepage gets an error message 'the page you are looking for cannot be found'.

Any ideas??

EDIT: Got it sorted but now 'Orange Home' appears to be a full html page telling me I can only connect to Orange World from an Orange phone. Is this cus it no longer recognises the phone via its IMEI number as a mobile device? Is there anything I can do to get Orange World Homepage via the cradle & USB? If I can sort this I'll invest in a BT dongle...

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest Confucious

I would assume that Orange World can only be accessed if you are using them as your ISP which you can only do from the phone (not the PC), HAving never actually looked at Orange World I don't have a clue what's on it. What do you use it for? Does it have anything you can't get on the www?

Guest jcjdoss

OK, I have the settings as such. My connection is set to pass through on the desktop, my phone is set to automatic. I still get that the page I am looking for cannot be found.

Guest pd.ryder

Confucious,

The only reason I ask is Orange World is sized according to the device used, the www is full size and needs a certain amount of zooming around the page to see links etc. Links from OW are also similarly sized. Some sites (MoDaCo for example) do 'see' the device and provide lo-res pages automatically. Again, I'm sure this is only the case if connecting via O's server, although my SPV's link to MoDaCo should look for the lo-res anyway (it does but there's still much whizzing about to be done).

Guest Confucious

You are, off course, right. I hadn't thought of that.

Unfortunatly I can't see Orange opening it upo to people that aren't using their network to connect, it is a lot easier for them to restrict access by connection than to have to try and identify people by emei No.

Guest jcjdoss

Confucious, My settings seem to be right but I am getting page not found. Using a cable. When it syncs it seems to be connecting to the internet, but the sync doesn't last long enough for me to tell. Any ideas

Guest pd.ryder

I've been around a few shops looking at BT dondles and I'm amazed to find them professing 'up to 100m range'!

My question to the seller has been - if the dongle can transmit up to 100m but my device only tansmits up to 10m, is there only one-way-traffic beyond the device's range?

As yet, no-one can answer. Anyone got any experience of these 'super dongles'?

Guest Confucious

jcjdoss - what do you mean the sync doesn't last long enough? All the time you are connected to ActiveSync you should be able to access the internet (provided, off course, that your PC has an active internet connection).

pd.ryder - there are two different BT standards, one is 10M the other is 100M the C500 only supports the 10M standard so will not use the 100M range. The 100M ones are backward compatable with the 10M standard so will work but only up to 10M.

HTH

Guest SPVC500teddy
Sure you can:

Start > Settings > Data Connections > Internet Connection :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Under the internet connection how do you change it to a "passthrough" connection as it is not an option?

Guest pd.ryder

There was no 'passthrough' listed on my options either. I opted for the 'automatic' setting and it works fine.

I did check the setting afterwards and, to my surprise, 'passthrough' had appeared on the list :lol:/ The wonders of Microsoft :cheesy:

EDIT:

Confucious - thanks for that. It makes sense you know :cheesy:

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest jcjdoss
There was no 'passthrough' listed on my options either. I opted for the 'automatic' setting and it works fine.

I did check the setting afterwards and, to my surprise, 'passthrough' had appeared on the list :lol:/  The wonders of Microsoft :cheesy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that last night. I got it to work after messing around with the settings, then it wouldn't work again after I disconnected and reconnected. I'll try again tonight

Guest ciudatelu

Hey, folks, i've been reading your forum since i got my SPV C500, and that was yesterday. Indeed a very cool smartphone, i'd say! As this is my first Smartphone, please don't make a laugh of me. I succeded in using my laptop internet connection on my C500 (indeed i never thought this was possible.., this phone keeps amazing me) via the USB cable, but i haven't managed to connect the phone to the laptop using ActiveSync... it just won't find it. The phone BT is set to "discoverable". Any more settings that I should do? In the phone or in the PC? Thanks!

Guest Confucious

I presume you mean you haven't been abl;e to connect via BT (if you hadn't got ActiveSync to connect via the cable you would not have been able to use passthrough.

At the top of this forum there are some 'Pinned' threads, one of which is a guide for getting BT ActiveSync to work which you can find here.

As you've only just got your phone, you do know it's an HTC Typhoon? Have a look under the Typhoon forum for queries specific to your phone, look in the articles section for advice - especially the 'first 24 hours' article and do a search for 'newbie' as lots of newbies ask the same question and you should be able to find answers to most of your questions. If you don't, just ask!

Enjoy your phone and welcome to the forums.

Guest lighthouse82

ah yes, it was an absolute MISSION to get active sync working over BT - FINALLY i discovered that you've got to get rid of Widcomm stuff and just use the MS stack (or something). oh yeah, and quite a mission with the ports. don't go there.

but now i can browse and do msn when sitting in front of the tv, 2 floors below my lappy - perrfick!

as for orange world, yes they only let you get it thru gprs. which is a bit of an arse. i think there is an app for viewing the big web on a small screen called skweezer or sthg - anyone tried it?

oh by the by, has anyone succeeded in getting a BT headset to work with the computer? can headsets only deal with one pairing? will it totally b*gg*r up the active sync connection? anyone know???

Edited by lighthouse82

Guest ciudatelu
I presume you mean you haven't been abl;e to connect via BT (if you hadn't got ActiveSync to connect via the cable you would not have been able to use passthrough.

At the top of this forum there are some 'Pinned' threads, one of which is  a guide for getting BT ActiveSync to work which you can find here.

As you've only just got your phone, you do know it's an HTC Typhoon? Have a look under the Typhoon forum for queries specific to your phone, look in the articles section for advice - especially the 'first 24 hours' article and do a search for 'newbie' as lots of newbies ask the same question and you should be able to find answers to most of your questions. If you don't, just ask!

Enjoy your phone and welcome to the forums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great! I've managed to connect to ActiveSync via BT and Pass Through works just fine via Bluetooth now. I luv it! I haven't still been able to unlock my C500 via OTA.. I tried for several times and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

P.S. What is the HTC Typhoon site?

P.S.2. I am living in Romania, could that be a reason for which the OTA unlock isn't working?

Guest jcjdoss

FINALLY, I got my phone to connect over bluetooth here is what I did

1. I removed all associations with the phone

2. Changed my bluetooth port to 2

3. Reconnected phone and linked it up with computer

4. Made sure my ports are the same. 2 for all of them (kept them under 5) <--I think this is the key

5. restarted my computer

6. Then synced via bluetooth on the phone, and it connected

Hope this helps someone

Edited by jcjdoss

Guest lighthouse82

gaplayer has written a very good guide to making active sync work over bluetooth. it's pinned at the top of the smartphone help forum, and has just helped me get the thing working again. cheers garth!! :D

Guest Confucious
Great! I've managed to connect to ActiveSync via BT and Pass Through works just fine via Bluetooth now. I luv it! I haven't still been able to unlock my C500 via OTA.. I tried for several times and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

P.S. What is the HTC Typhoon site?

P.S.2. I am living in Romania, could that be a reason for which the OTA unlock isn't working?

OTA will need to be done via passthrough and should work (eventually).

The typhoon forum isn't another site it's on this one here.

Good luck.

Guest ciudatelu

OTA needs to be done from the SPV's Internet Explorer, not the PC's??? let me try..

Nope, in the Pocket Internet Explorer that page is not loading correctly...

Edited by ciudatelu

Guest POOL_PRO

im guessing you need a bluetooth adapter on your pc to connect to use active xync via bluetooth :roll:

or dont you i wana try this ?

Edited by POOL_PRO

Guest ciudatelu

Any ideeas on how to bring the applications i use most frequently on the first page of the "start" menu?? Thx

(on the SPV C500)