How do you turn of the phone part on the JAM/S100

Guest Minoz

Guest Disco Stu

Just learning the ropes myself, but this from Club i-Mate FAQs :

Q: How do I turn the Phone Off?

1. Tap on the signal strength indicator on the title bar,

2. Tap ‘Turn on flight mode’ (phone is then switched off) or ‘Turn off flight mode’ (phone is then switched back on) option within the pop-up menu.

NOTE: TURNING YOUR JAM OFF, WITH THE POWER BUTTON, DOES NOT TURN OFF YOUR MOBILE PHONE, YOU MUST TURN OFF YOUR WIRELESS CONNECTION TO YOUR GSM OPERATOR’S NETWORK WITH FLIGHT MODE.

Does this help ?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest inspectorgadjet

That doesn't seem quite right, because then the device is still 'on' so to speak, even though it's in flight mode.

The MDA Compact manual states that holding the power button for 2 seconds will completely turn the phone off, but that doesn't seem to be the case....that just seems to be turning the backlight all the way down. The same thing happens on my MDA III and MDA Compact. I haven't figured out how to switch them off completely without removing the battery.

Guest En_croute

Still not sure about On/Screen off/Off.

If I press the Power, the screen goes off, and phone stays on. - Presumably the PDA is now off, but phone on.

A 2 second press switches off the backlight but the screen stays on - tapping to the backlight properties, I have to untick, and re-tick the "light up on screen tap" option for the backlight to re-appear.

I suppose I better RTFM, but any quick help would be appreciated !

Edited by En_croute

Guest mike-oh
A 2 second press switches off the backlight but the screen stays on - tapping to the backlight properties, I have to untick, and re-tick the "light up on screen tap" option for the backlight to re-appear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

for the backlight to re-appear you just need to do another 2 second press of the power button.

No way afaik without pulling the battery...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No need either. If you turned the PDA part completely off, how would it retain your memory data, or be able to sound alarms and reminders?

Guest SeaneyC

Errr guys, am i being thick, but don't you just turn off the radio by tapping on the signal meter, select flight mode, and then turn the power off by using the off button?

Or if you mean off as in totally dead, i don't think that's going to happen, no pocket PC device turns off.

Edited by SeaneyC

I think a totally off mode was wanted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love technical forums like this. 12 posts just on how to turn a freakin' phone off. Jeez!

Turn the radio off - put it into Flight mode.

Put the PDA into standby - press the power button.

Toggle the backlight - press and hold the power button.

Turn the unit totally off - pull the battery.

There's nothing more to it than that. There, done. Next please.

:idea: Now can we talk about something more interesting?

Edited by Metoo

Guest kurtfhouse
I love technical forums like this. 12 posts just on how to turn a freakin' phone off. Jeez!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alright mate, keep your hair on! Its a fair question for a PPC newbie, had me stumped for a day or so

Alright mate, keep your hair on! Its a fair question for a PPC newbie, had me stumped for a day or so

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had no objection to the question, it was the ensuing discussion (and some of the AOL style replies) that amused me when one answer would have done! :lol:

Edited by Metoo

Guest mike-oh

Amuzing replies are what keeps reading forums like this entertaining :(

Filling them full of impersonalised technical lingo makes for a dull place.

There's no chance of that occuring for me as i have precisely diddly technical experience! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In other words the MANUAL should have started with. "There is no way to turn this device off", and then listed the four lines you wrote. But they didn't.

So problems like this exist because these devices are not written with a eye to actually helping the new buyer, they are just perfunctory documents.

Guest MitchellO

All I do is click the phone icon in the taskbar and click Flight mode on. I rarely turn it off though.

Holding in the power button simply turns the backlight off (on my XDA Mini anyway)

In other words the MANUAL should have started with. "There is no way to turn this device off", and then listed the four lines you wrote. But they didn't.

So problems like this exist because these devices are not written with a eye to actually helping the new buyer, they are just perfunctory documents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the manual is wrong. It won't be the first time, or the last. The whole thing is simple enough to be explained in just 4 short lines. It's been explained ad infinitum on this board and every other. It's even a Frequently Asked Question on the i-mate site.

So why is this thread still going? Is it the most interesting thing about the Magician? Do you spend all night in the bedroom playing with the light switch? :lol:

yes. yes i do.  :|

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reminds me of the very old joke:-

Wife - "Tonight I want you to be a lifeboatman and rescue me from a storm"

"OK"

"Switch the light on and off very quickly so it's like lightning"

"OK"

"Shake the tray to make thunder"

"OK"

"Throw that bucket of water over me to make it rain"

"OK"

"Now make mad, passionate love to me, Now!"